An Example of Using a Drone in Forestry Work

Reaction score
Ok so I'm out in the field when our scout plane radios our ops room they have a large control burn in the middle of a wooded block. Potential is high and would like someone to put eye's on it. I check in route and of course it's bright and hazy here in the south so I can't find it, nothing coming over the tree tops just blending in to the haze. My assistant district forester is with me and says why not launch your quad. Well instead of calling the plane back I did. Up, pan around and boom, smoke. I flew right to it surveyed the area determined it was mitigated by bare ground and heavy equipment, came back and landed. For those looking for alternative uses there are plenty. He and I are trying to get as much data as we can to push the relevance of quad use in forestry in our area within our division. Hopefully responsible, practical use can over come some of the misconceptions people seem to have. The person responsible for the burn came to where we were and was amazed to see theses weren't spy tools. Promote, promote, promote, people will listen, for some we need to step down off or soap box of why we can fly (free country and all ) and just ask if they would be interested in looking at it from/with someone who flys.
Any how good flying and have fun.

[Moderator edit: Title changed to reflect topic]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: bobmyers
A great use for a quad, be sure to let the public know that it helps keep them safe. A news story out here about the use of quads by lifeguards to spot and track Sharks off the beaches in SoCal has received a lot of positive exposure. These are the types of uses that will help with public perception of quads.

Reactions: bobmyers
Moving this thread to the General section as it applies to more than just the P3. Be sure to post in that section for topics not specific to the P3. Also please try to provide a more detailed title.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20