An e-mail to DJI ... and the reply.

Reaction score
I sent this e-mail to DJI on August 25th, 2013:

Hi,

I purchased the Zenmuse H3-2D gimbal for the Phantom back in July. I haven’t installed it yet ... first I was waiting on the PMU V2 and then before that was in stock DJI introduced the upgrade board and my dealer suggested I wait for that instead. I did as he asked and now that board is in transit to me ... will be here early this week. However, I noticed a few days ago on the Phantom Pilots forum that DJI has now introduced Version 2 of the gimbal. I contacted my dealer and he said that since my gimbal hasn’t been installed yet ... still in its packaging ... I could return it for the new version. I pay the shipping for the return and for shipping the new one out to me.

My question is: Has the new Version 2 been introduced to address some of the problems that users of Version 1 have been experiencing and would you recommend that I take my dealer up on his offer. I must say that my exerience with the Phantom has been nothing but positive so far. I wouldn’t want to install Version 1 and have that positive experience ruined. I guess what I’d like to know is, do I have a better chance of success with Version 2 rather than Version 1.

Thank you.

This is the reply I received this morning August 27th, 2013:

Dear *******,

I am sorry but we have never released a ZENMUSE H3-2D v2 so I don't
have answer for your question.

But we do have some suggestions for your use of this gimbal which will
keep your positive experience with dji products.

For enjoy your Zenmuse H3-2D Gimbal during the flight, please kindly
read the manual and notice following points before you use it.

1. Please kindly visit the following site for manual, notes, assistant
software, firmware and driver of Zenmuse H3-2D Gimbal:
http://www.dji-innovations.com/download ... downloads/

2. Please kindly make sure the firmware of IMU, GCU and CMU of Zenmuse
H3-2D Gimbal are upgraded to the latest version via the assistant
software V1.02. (Latest firmware version:IMU V1.2, GCU V1.4, CMU
V1.0);

3. Please kindly confirm the Gopro Hero3 camera is correctly connected
to the Zenmuse H3-2D Gimbal before the Gimbal is powered on;

4. Please kindly notice that no external force is allowed on Zenmuse
H3-2D Gimbal during the process of self-checking and in normal use;

There are folks here who say they already have it installed. I was just about to pack up my gimbal and send it back to my dealer for a Version 2 replacement. Now what? Do I believe DJI? Do I believe the folks on here who say they already have it installed? Do I believe my dealer who seems to think there is a Version 2 (he even told me he doesn't know if it will be in his next shipment from DJI or not).

Weird ... to put it mildly!

Not sure about the dealer, but don't believe DJI for a second as they are telling you what you want to hear. Like any business, they want to keep as much kit (even if its faulty) with owners as they can (even if there is a v2) with the hopes that it won't break or it will go past their warranty and break and they won't have to replace it. Too many owners with problems, in my opinion. Its hard to know when to trust someone trying to make a buck, but in the case of DJI I don't trust em. Believe me I wanted to buy one and I love the Phantom I purchased, but I've gotten to the point where I am sick and tired of not getting what I paid for. Until DJI proves otherwise, my money stays in my pocket, unless I get mugged of course. :)

I believe them.

On about my 4th flight with the gimbal, before I took off, I could smell something buring. I immediately removed power and the gimbal motor was **** hot! Before I returned it, they had just come out with new firmware so I upgraded it. It has been perfect ever since, so even it getting hot did no damage.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20