Amazon Fire 7 or 8 for viewing sd cards from drone???

Reaction score
I am considering getting an Amazon Fire 7 or 8 to preview the photos and video I take with my two drones - a P3S and Spark. The prices right now are very good. My thinking is that I can use the Fire at the location I am flying to preview the files from the drone to see if the perspective and camera settings are what I want rather than waiting to get home to put them into my computer. After I have been at a site and shot some photos or video I realize I could have used a different perspective to get better shots. Some sites I go to, I am only there for a short period of time and likely won't be back for awhile or not at all.

I fly with my iPhone XR and am not looking at replacing it for flying.

Will one of the fire tablets work for this purpose?

Chris

If I’m doing a job at a remote location or is once in life time thing, I bring a laptop. My adobe creative suite programs are allowed to be on 2 devices, desktop and laptop so I have adobe camera raw to view my dng pics

Sorry can’t answer your question though as I don’t use those specific things.

I'm thinking my wife's 8 doesn't have a card slot. Might be wrong, but I sure don't remember seeing one.

If I’m doing a job at a remote location or is once in life time thing, I bring a laptop. My adobe creative suite programs are allowed to be on 2 devices, desktop and laptop so I have adobe camera raw to view my dng pics

Sorry can’t answer your question though as I don’t use those specific things.
Thanks for your reply. I have a Mac laptop but it would be kind of a pain to carry it with me hiking, biking, or kayaking and in the winter Nordic skiing and snowmobiling. The fire being cheap and light seems like it would be more suited to that.

Chris

I'm thinking my wife's 8 doesn't have a card slot. Might be wrong, but I sure don't remember seeing one.
If I remember the specs correctly it does support a micro SD card - perfect for drones if it works for what I want it for.

Chris

I am considering getting an Amazon Fire 7 or 8 to preview the photos and video I take with my two drones - a P3S and Spark. The prices right now are very good. My thinking is that I can use the Fire at the location I am flying to preview the files from the drone to see if the perspective and camera settings are what I want rather than waiting to get home to put them into my computer. After I have been at a site and shot some photos or video I realize I could have used a different perspective to get better shots. Some sites I go to, I am only there for a short period of time and likely won't be back for awhile or not at all.

Chris

it should work for what you want to do with it and easy and lite to carry
i might look into getting a super cheap tablet like this for the same reason good idea.

it should work for what you want to do with it and easy and lite to carry
i might look into getting a super cheap tablet like this for the same reason good idea.
Let me know if you find one by posting back here. I took too long to do my research (got busy) and now the discounted prices Amazon.ca had on the Fire 7 and 8 are gone and they are back up to their normal prices. :(

Right now I am looking into using an old netbook that I have that has a 10 inch display. It is light and small and would not be a great loss if I damaged or lost it.

Chris

I have actually used a fire 8 with the Dji Go app on my P3S. Worked fine. No gps. And yes the sd card worked and you can read from it. The fire 7 would give up after a couple of minutes. But would be ok for reading sd cards from your AC.

HAVE FUN

Chris
I use a Fire for my P4 and it works great!!

Let me know if you find one by posting back here. I took too long to do my research (got busy) and now the discounted prices Amazon.ca had on the Fire 7 and 8 are gone and they are back up to their normal prices. :(

Right now I am looking into using an old netbook that I have that has a 10 inch display. It is light and small and would not be a great loss if I damaged or lost it.

Chris
QVC has them for like $50 shipped I believe. I use a Fire HD 10. Love it.

I’m guessing you don’t shoot in raw? Or can you install program on the fire to open raw pics? That’s why I bring laptop with PS. Granted I don’t go hiking with drone and laptop...

Even with laptop, transfer speed from SD to laptop is 20 MB/s vs 165 MB/s for desktop. Just food for thought if you’re shooting 4k @ 60 FPS video or taking raw pics... The gigs add up quickly.

I’m guessing you don’t shoot in raw? Or can you install program on the fire to open raw pics? That’s why I bring laptop with PS. Granted I don’t go hiking with drone and laptop...

Even with laptop, transfer speed from SD to laptop is 20 MB/s vs 165 MB/s for desktop. Just food for thought if you’re shooting 4k @ 60 FPS video or taking raw pics... The gigs add up quickly.

I do shoot in RAW on my P3S but not when I do panos. Being able to preview them would be very handy but as you said may not be practical. I’m just investigating the idea.

Chris

Chris

For the sd video, you will need a tablet with graphics that will support 100 Mbps video streams. Not all will. You might have better luck with 720p video copy that can be stored as you shoot it.

Reactions: JoBe and Chrislaf
For the sd video, you will need a tablet with graphics that will support 100 Mbps video streams. Not all will. You might have better luck with 720p video copy that can be stored as you shoot it.
hmm gud tip on that one ty

Just noticed that Amazon had Fire 7 and 8 tablets on sale again for Black Friday. They are tempting but instead of getting another device I have to bring with me, I think I’ll be getting a bidirectional micro SD card reader instead for my iPhone XR. Small and compact and no need for another device.

Here’s the one I’m considering.

41AC47E3-3375-48D2-83A8-E38246919AF0.png

Chris

Just to update this thread - I just got my Gigastone micro SD card reader for my iPhone and am happy to report that it works perfectly. I had been considering one of the Fire tablets because they are so cheap especially when on sale but that would be another device to carry and another platform to deal with. This card reader allows me to view photos and videos on my iPhone (which has a high resolution screen) from the card without having to transfer anything to my phone. It even supports DNG files. I can't believe how well it works. You do have to install the Gigastone software but it works well and has many other features as well.

The only problem I had is that it does not fit with my Otterbox Symmetry case on, so I either have to take it off or get a slimmer case - not too big of a problem. It's much smaller than I thought so I will have to be careful not to loose it. I'm glad I didn't go the Fire Tablet route - this is much simpler!

Chris

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.