Am I really not allowed to fly a drone over farmland?

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm a new pilot and am based in the UK. I have got both my operators and flyers license from the CAA and check each location for restrictions.

So I was flying over some farms at around 50m to try to get some videos of the sunset, a man (who does not own or work on the land) stated that I'm not allowed to fly over this private land. I attempted to dispute by stating that the land is not a no fly zone and if the farmer doesn't wish to have drone fly over this land he should add a zone. The man got quite threatening and I decided to abort my flight.

Was he right?

Many thanks,
David.

Technically he IS correct... Sort of... If he owns the land and objects to you flying over it the best thing to do is apologise, land and fly elsewhere rather than it turning ugly.

He doesnt own the airspace above the land but if he calls the Police they will more than likely ask you to move on rather than risk a breach of the peace.

Dont know where you live but a lot of fliers struggle to find somewhere to fly without people objecting unless you are lucky enough to own a large amount of land yourself.

Last edited:
Hey,

I'm a new pilot and am based in the UK. I have got both my operators and flyers license from the CAA and check each location for restrictions.

So I was flying over some farms at around 50m to try to get some videos of the sunset, a man (who does not own or work on the land) stated that I'm not allowed to fly over this private land. I attempted to dispute by stating that the land is not a no fly zone and if the farmer doesn't wish to have drone fly over this land he should add a zone. The man got quite threatening and I decided to abort my flight.

Was he right?

Many thanks,
David.

You 100% did the right thing even if you owned the land yourself.

Thats right even if you owned the land your self which happens to me all the time on my own lot and here is why i dont stress it, time - energy and cops = escalation = ruined day for me.

So you start off telling them you own the property on the beach front its private. , than they start talking about an airport 5 miles away , than how the city has ordinances it goes on and on. These people our like zombies , with hate in there heart and fear in the stomachs eating away at them..

You cant deal with them or argue with them but you might try to disarm them.

I have two ways I do this , first I tell them that I am practicing for search and rescue off of the lake and at night I fly a Permiter check and post it on the Neighbor hood watch and I show them my Tornado watch videos.

If there is any hope in disarming them it happens very quickly.

However , when someone has made it up there mind that they have the right to walk the entire beach front, nothing I can say or do will help me and calling the Cops works but what a waste of my time as statements our taken , papers our signed checked , it gets old quick.

What the Drone Zombies really want is for me to land the drone and stop flying in there presence. Once there gone I can fly again and most of time they dont come back.

When someone tells me that Im flying to close to the airport , none of my fancy software that shows bubbles of safe flight our going to save me.

Drone Zombies dont care if your right , only that there will be drama if you dont cease and desist.

Seeing that I own the land , the property and the lot this is my ace of spades but I hardly if ever play it anymore,
I have had much more luck with Disarming them.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in and out of the storm
Coal

Reactions: sdileon
Owning land and permissions in the Uk are manyfold. Anyone who buys a house / land that has Church involvement can verify that one ... the covenants against so many things fill pages !

As to overflying land ... private or public - in fact as I understand it (I am a Brit) as long as its not prohibited by ANO or existing Airspace Control ...you can.
The question is 'good manners' ... fly low and invite complaint, fly high and most will not object. Its the thought of privacy invasion that gets most people, even though privacy is not as wide a right as some think.

It really comes down to whether you want to stand your ground and spoil your day ... or just accept that even though you are not doing anything wrong ... packing up and moving on is better course to follow.

With regard to not overflying : I remember not so long ago people arguing about the rule to not overfly animals as well as people. Some were commenting ... what if there's a 'worm' .....

Really at end of day - respect for others, good manners and avoiding confrontations is better than trying to educate an idiot !!

Educatimg idiots is a futile task.
Maybe better to go over that land higher than 100 m and nobody will even notice a drone.

Reactions: DHAirbus
He doesnt own the airspace above the land
Applicable to UK - technically he is wrong... even if he owns the land he would have a hard time to get a NFZ. the CAA have the responsibility under ANOs etc. Even National Trust properties are not normally NFZs but overflying is not something that would be condoned.
Lots of information ANOs, NATS website (very good app for temporary restrictions etc.) and if you follow the Drone Code you are legal however in a "signed Memorandum of Understanding the Police will take the lead in dealing with unmanned aircraft misuse incidents."
You cannot take-off/land on private property (without permission) but overflying is not illegal (Scotland some variations on who owns the airspace). Best to apologise explain the context and if that is not sufficient just move on. Tempting to approach the landowner and get permission just for this particular pain in the a*** ;)
DHAC Ltd

UK airspace ... as my Father used to say (ex RAF then Senior Flight Ops CAA) ....

Below 500ft is RAF

Below 50ft just takes practice

But what if you don'it know who is the owner of the property (woods, hills, etc,) and don't know where he can be reached either. That means it is OK to fly if the owner is not around. So try to fly where nobody sees you? Or don't fly at all as almost every land is a property of somebody.
We have excelent limitations, not to fly at public places and not to fly over private property. So where to fly then?

But what if you don'it know who is the owner of the property (woods, hills, etc,) and don't know where he can be reached either. That means it is OK to fly if the owner is not around. So try to fly where nobody sees you? Or don't fly at all as almost every land is a property of somebody.
We have excelent limitations, not to fly at public places and not to fly over private property. So where to fly then?

Please show where it says you cannot fly over private property ? Its only where specific Legally issued Byelaws or Air Navigation Orders / Aviation Authority rulings prohibit that you cannot fly in / over.

Private property only prevents you from being ON the property without permission and that you cannot take off / land on it without permission.

Yes, you are correct. I'm only replying to what 'DHAirbus' said about moving to other location.

So where to fly then?
Google/Search "places to fly drones uk" + further search on the specific area. Just be considerate to others I have had chats with many interested people both young and not so young. Yes I do land away from them if needed .(Dronecode) Maybe I've been lucky but never had an issue even when flying (and crashing - "very firm landings") my noisy RC Petrol Heli (42" dia rotor) not flyable at the moment.
DJI_0153.JPG DJI_0186.JPG DJI_0217.JPG

Google/Search "places to fly drones uk" + further search on the specific area. Just be considerate to others I have had chats with many interested people both young and not so young. Yes I do land away from them if needed .(Dronecode) Maybe I've been lucky but never had an issue even when flying (and crashing - "very firm landings") my noisy RC Petrol Heli (42" dia rotor) not flyable at the moment.
View attachment 115877 View attachment 115878 View attachment 115879

Intersting images with the extreme low tide and even more interesting is the 4-5 barges pushed up on the shore!

Good Stuff!

I fly over farmland all the time. In each case I haved asked the farmer for permission. Now I am basically on private property. I Don't know about you but if this ignoramus had come along and mouthed off at me, I would have told him where to go. This type of person who has no connection to the land, or anything is the type who has read or heard about drones and some of the problems pilots have had and has found a nitch where he can feel important. He got his satisfaction this time taking advantage of your being a new pilot. Next time you will be prepared. Happy Flying

Reactions: lasersbee
I fly over farmland all the time. In each case I haved asked the farmer for permission. Now I am basically on private property. I Don't know about you but if this ignoramus had come along and mouthed off at me, I would have told him where to go. This type of person who has no connection to the land, or anything is the type who has read or heard about drones and some of the problems pilots have had and has found a nitch where he can feel important. He got his satisfaction this time taking advantage of your being a new pilot. Next time you will be prepared. Happy Flying

Sorry but in my mind ... telling such an idiot where to go just creates a worse situation. Last thing you want is them grabbing at your RC or taking a swing at you ..

We have enough trouble with ignorance ... no need to feed it and make it worse. It costs nothing to pack up and move on.

Sorry but in my mind ... telling such an idiot where to go just creates a worse situation. Last thing you want is them grabbing at your RC or taking a swing at you ..

We have enough trouble with ignorance ... no need to feed it and make it worse. It costs nothing to pack up and move on.
ha ha well if you are not sure you could take him in a fight, you could tell him you have permission from the farmer to fly on his land. Often BS baffles brains. LMAO

ha ha well if you are not sure you could take him in a fight, you could tell him you have permission from the farmer to fly on his land. Often BS baffles brains. LMAO

Yes well ..... I think I'll leave it that ...

And then the Police get called and the whole mess ends up in local newspaper and drone fliers get even more negative press which leads to more rules and regulations enforced on us.

Reactions: lasersbee

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic