Altitude limit

Reaction score
Hi I was wondering if there is any possible way to send my DJI phantom 3 pro to the top of a mountain which is estimated to be 8000 feet high but as there’s a limit of 1640 feet I can’t get to the top [emoji853] can you help me out and maybe explain how I can get to the top of it please

I would have thought it's not so much the height of the mountain, but the direct distance (as the bird flies!) from your take-off point to the top of the hill, which unless it's a sheer vertical drop, shouldn't be a problem.

However, 2430 metres (8000 feet) may be a little much by about 2280 metres (7500 feet).

Also consider the local regulations if you're in the USA, Europe and Australia.

Reactions: KachemakDiver
The highest I have seen a P4P go was 2500 ft, I would imagine that at some point the air would not be dense enough to support the drone. If I am wrong please enlighten me as I love to learn!

Whatever recommended ceiling height that DJI has established for the p4 series is there for a reason. Thin air is thin air and can be dealt with by prop pitch. I have a p4p that can exceed the 500 meter limit simply because of some of the mountain peak flying that I do. I never exceed the 400 foot limit as it goes up the side of the terrain.

Reactions: dros1828
To go beyond the set height limit you would have to do a hack. They’re out there.
I’m not going to the manual now to be exact, but the height limit is around 18,000 feet. Few of us will see that.

Hi I was wondering if there is any possible way to send my DJI phantom 3 pro to the top of a mountain which is estimated to be 8000 feet high but as there’s a limit of 1640 feet I can’t get to the top [emoji853] can you help me out and maybe explain how I can get to the top of it please
The 500 metre limit above launch point is hardwired.
There are a number of problems that could easily cause you to lose the drone if you did attempt to fly 8000 feet up.
I wouldn't advise it if you aren't very experienced, and if you were very experienced, you'd probably be aware of the hazards and avoid the attempt anyway.

I wouldn't advise it if you aren't very experienced, and if you were very experienced, you'd probably be aware of the hazards and avoid the attempt anyway.

Very good summary. For most people, there is no need to increase the hardcoded 500m limit.

Though removing the limit can be useful in proper hands:

(that was Mavic, but height limit and max speed were changed using the same way you do this is Phantoms)

Before doing any changes to your drone, make sure you did reached that 500m and you know how high that is.

Don't they fly drones in Denver?

Has anyone considered the temperature at those altitudes? The batteries would let you know they are not happy well before you hit the limit of the altitudes discussed here. The colder it gets, the faster the depletion too.
The battery runs at over 100 degrees Fahrenheit. What does it care about the temperature outside. When it gets really cold, the battery lasts longer than I do. Lol

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20