Albany, New York

Reaction score
Hey fellow droners,

Does anyone know of any recent drone laws in and around Albany New York? I'm visiting for the day and haven't been able to find any local ordinances that would prevent me from flying. Airmpap, Kittyhawk and the DJI app all say I am good to go, with a few limitations in terms of altitude. But, just wanted to see if anyone could point me to a recent or most recent local ordinances.

Thanks!

I don't know if this is currently in place but here is a local Albany County ordinance regarding drones (not good)...

Drones Banned in Albany County

Since it's a county regulation I don't think it would show up on Airmap, Kittyhawk or the DJI app.

I live about 40 miles north of Albany and have never heard about this law. I don't get down to the city much but have several friends both part 107 and hobbyists that routinely fly in the city. There are videos and photos posted all the time on social media of different angles of Empire State Plaza, the SUNY Administration building, and other well known landmarks. That's not to say that the law doesn't exist, it might, I would call the Albany Police Dept and ask for sure before you fly.

That said there is a park across the Hudson from the city - Renssalear County - where you can fly and get nice shots of Albany looking to the west.

Albany International airspcae does cover parts of the north and west part of the city, but ALB has LAANC capability.

That looks like a PROPOSED bill that may never have been enacted. Typical of the Empire State, harsh penalties for victimless crimes.

Reactions: KAOS Imagery
Hey guys,

Thanks for the input/feedback. I saw the same proposed bill when I was looking online and didn't see anything firm, either. I ended up going down to Six Mile Park and flew out over Rensselear Lake for about 30 minutes. I used the KittyHawk/LAANC system to inform the FAA I'd be out there for around 30 minutes, received clearance below 300 ft.

I'm a dummy and forgot a jacket back at the hotel, so I only stayed out there for one battery, ha.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-13 at 9.19.17 AM.PNG
    Screen Shot 2019-12-13 at 9.19.17 AM.PNG
    5.7 MB · Views: 175
  • Screen Shot 2019-12-13 at 9.21.13 AM.PNG
    Screen Shot 2019-12-13 at 9.21.13 AM.PNG
    6.1 MB · Views: 170
Reactions: KAOS Imagery

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members