Airspace Regulations

Reaction score
hi, I'm trying to operate my drone strictly for hobby use within a class c airspace (Nashville INTL). The space I'll be flying is 4.83NM from the airport. Am I allowed to contact the ATC or airport manager directly to notify them of my flight? During recent research I've seen that I must go through FAAs online portal which could take up to 90 days. Do I have to use this portal for hobby flight or can I contact ATC directly.. Any help would be great, trying to fly safe and not break any regulations / rules.

hi, I'm trying to operate my drone strictly for hobby use within a class c airspace (Nashville INTL). The space I'll be flying is 4.83NM from the airport. Am I allowed to contact the ATC or airport manager directly to notify them of my flight? During recent research I've seen that I must go through FAAs online portal which could take up to 90 days. Do I have to use this portal for hobby flight or can I contact ATC directly.. Any help would be great, trying to fly safe and not break any regulations / rules.
Use this to determine where you can/can't fly.

DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

If you are within 5 miles (in the green circle) you are supposed to contact the airport to notify them of your flight.

There seems to be some misinformation here.

First your not contacting the tower to ask permission to "fly" If you ask for permission they will most likely deny your request and direct you to the FAA online portal.

You're advising them of your intentions and letting them know you will be flying a UAV under 400 feet 4.8 miles from the tower. If they deem this to be unsafe they can deny your request. As long as you are not flying your UAS straight down the runway or in a traffic pattern around inside the boundary of the airport and you under 400 feet you should be fine.

Of course this all assumes your flying strictly as a hobbyist and not commercial 107.

If your 4.8 miles from an airport and 200 feet of the ground in your back yard and interfering with airport operations then you or the airport is have a much bigger problem.

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary...9_Unmanned_Aircraft_Operations_in_the_NAS.pdf

Reactions: SoyFPV
There seems to be some misinformation here.

First your not contacting the tower to ask permission to "fly" If you ask for permission they will most likely deny your request and direct you to the FAA online portal.

You're advising them of your intentions and letting them know you will be flying a UAV under 400 feet 4.8 miles from the tower. If they deem this to be unsafe they can deny your request. As long as you are not flying your UAS straight down the runway or in a traffic pattern around inside the boundary of the airport and you under 400 feet you should be fine.

Of course this all assumes your flying strictly as a hobbyist and not commercial 107.

If your 4.8 miles from an airport and 200 feet of the ground in your back yard and interfering with airport operations then you or the airport is have a much bigger problem.

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary...9_Unmanned_Aircraft_Operations_in_the_NAS.pdf

Thank you for the information.. This is the answer I was looking for.. And for future reference.. What if I was flying under 107? What would I have to do differently?

If your flying under 107 (Commercial) then you would apply for a blanket waiver for flying in Class D Airspace.

Basically you would have to demonstrate in writing to the FAA that you would not be a hindrance to manned aircraft, that you have a way to contact ATC and they have a means to contact you and you have need or the restriction is preventing you from preforming your work.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/request_waiver/media/performance_based_standards.pdf

Could I request for a waiver to fly at anytime in nashvilles class c airspace or would I have to request for each commercial operation
If your flying under 107 (Commercial) then you would apply for a blanket waiver for flying in Class D Airspace.

Basically you would have to demonstrate in writing to the FAA that you would not be a hindrance to manned aircraft, that you have a way to contact ATC and they have a means to contact you and you have need or the restriction is preventing you from preforming your work.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/request_waiver/media/performance_based_standards.pdf
I'm

Could I request for a waiver to fly at anytime in nashvilles class c airspace or would I have to request for each commercial operation

I'm

For now each waiver request takes 90 days to approve or deny. So it's not feasible to ask for a waiver for each job or for each time you want to fly in class C airspace.

If you have a lot of jobs in Class B airspace your best bet is to google a Aviation Attorney who specializes in commercial drone waivers. They can help you navigate the somewhat complex waiver system so you ask for all your waivers for what you need all at once.

I would only do this if your know your going to make money so it's not a waste of money to not do it your self.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.