Airspace Authorization

Reaction score
What is the typical length of time to receive airspace authorization to fly in a non LAANC area?

Reactions: R Martin
I applied for authorization to fly in the Washington DC Flight Restricted Zone in a non-LAANC area. It took two weeks and lots of documentation.

If you are a commercial 107 pilot you can get in a automatic LAANC area within seconds. You'll have height limits. If you need to go outside though limits you have to file directly with the FAA. It's been taking me less than one week.

The height limit is 50 ft from automatic approval with LAANC.

Then I guess you'll have to file https://faadronezone.faa.gov/ . They are farming it out to subcontractors in my area. Had authorizations in less then a week. Usually, they suggest to keep it as low as possible and a small radius working area. Example a 0 agl area they wouldn't give me anything over 150 ogl.

Y'all do realize the OP specifically stated
non LAANC

Let's try and stay On Topic as to not confuse and muddy the water.

Allen

Reactions: R Martin
Geez read the guys post, NON LAANC, READ WORDS... lets try again NON LAANC. So I applied for a 107 Waiver in a NON LAANC area and it took three weeks. NON LAANC NON LAANC. If drone pilots can not read a simple post, then no doubt we are all doomed at some point to loose our flying rights.... NON LAANC !!!!!!

Guess I'm a little confused by the question. Why are you seeking airspace authorization to fly in a non LAANC area? Wouldn't you just fly per normal regulation?

If the area you're wanting to fly is in Controlled Airspace, then it'll still be the same as my previous answer. FAA has been granting me Airspace Authorization Weaivers less than a week.

Last edited:
Guess I'm a little confused by the question. Why are you seeking airspace authorization to fly in a non LAANC area? Wouldn't you just fly per normal regulation?

That's NOT correct. There are several "Controlled Airspce" areas that are not yet (some never will be) operating within the LAANC system. LAANC doesn't mean Controlled Airspace technically. While all LAANC Airspace is Controlled Airspace not all Controlled Airspace is NOT under LAANC.

If the area you're wanting to fly is in Controlled Airspace, then it'll still be the same as my previous answer. FAA has been granting me Airspace Authorization Weaivers less than a week.
Oddly enough, a majority of airports with controlled airspace in my region are non-LAANC. Federal contract towers were not included for whatever reason of which there are eight airports in this area. Only four fall under LAANC; DFW, Addison, Meacham and Alliance. Go figure...once you get the format down it's about 15 minutes from start to finish for a CoA application. The locals are great about returning it approved with a minimum wait period. They advise to submit 30 prior to expiration; it takes far less time to get it back now (1 week or faster).

I have a few Non-LAANC authorizations in California and Hawaii. Depending on the areas, it took from 1 week to 3. Even with operating in areas with military aircraft. There were very specific rules involved such as the amount of time needed to notify the specific air towers prior to my operations. Most of the time I tried to not "max out" on the allowed 400ft height limit. I'd ask for 200, but they gave me 400 anyway on a couple of them. Some of them were granted for a 2 year period, while a couple of others with busy traffic areas were granted for one year. I believe once you've established with them that you are responsible and have never had any complaints about your flights they are very quick to authorize you. On a couple of mine, I reached my 2 year mark and resubmitted with the same format as the first time, no questions asked and received an approval back within a week. These were all for Class D airspace. A couple of them are Federal Contractor controlled.

Reactions: Recoveryone

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic