Airmap or DJI Go for Missions

Reaction score
The majority of my missions are now taking place on the edge of Logan Airport Class B Airspace. Today, when asking for permission, I kept my phone open and in view while I piloted my P3S via my iPad and DJI Go.

On the Airmap app, there was the option to "end flight" (or it might have said "end mission"). Regardless, I have never flown via Airmap before, but I'm thinking if it's the gateway for my LAANC approvals, why shouldn't I use it for all my flights?

Any thoughts on this? Anyone use Airmap as their controlling app? Anyone have reasons NOT to do this? *I believe all mission data is kept in the bird, not the app that's used, so the barrier isn't from being able to capture flight info.

As background, I've now had to go to LAANC (via Airmap) for seven missions. I've had one authorization refused and the rest were approved in less than a minute. I'm now a fan of the system...does anyone have warning bells going off thinking that if there's a glitch in the automated system, we're all screwed? Especially because the app requests STRONGLY that you not follow-up with ATC to get a future mission approved...and they let you know that for some manual approvals via Airmap, you'll only know 24 hours ahead of time.

Just wondering.

*Yes, there is a similar thread to this, but it was within the Control forum and was VERY basic, so I didn't want to add to that. It also only had one comment. Thanks!

Jeff

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20