AirMap and other so called "where you can fly" Apps

Reaction score
So I just had to share. I travel a lot for my job so while sitting at a Class B airport I decided to check the newly installed Airmap app. Since I heard they are working with the FAA I figured must be legit, right? Well I guess this is why soooo many pilots have no idea where they are permitted to fly recreationally. Im
ea23359eb0371acb0aad8060a67d520e.jpg
80329aeafd5b450d8d79b560cb2bb94a.jpg
sitting at the gate , so Im well within the "5 mile" rule, right? The app tells me that flight "is not
9ed8d5e620de989fbf37f20519629a50.jpg
recommended" REALLY? Are you kidding AirMap? Ok, so I figured a glitch, right? Today, headed to Lauderdale. Guess what? 3 different options! Just check out the screen shots. The 2 that you can't see suggests a certain height that you can fly to a certain altitude. 2 say that one needs authorization and the other says notification. WOW! So what is it? Make one rule and that's the rule. Way too much ambiguity with the app. Ok, got that [EXPLETIVE REMOVED] off my chest. Happy flying, if you know where you're allowed to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Airmap is handy a reference. It's not a definitive guide to flying.

Airspace is complex, there are bound to be ambiguities in an app.

Your best bet is to learn the rules (not particularly difficult if you're flying for recreation) rather than relying on an app to interpret them for you.

They're all reference apps and thats my point; they all show different information and map coordinates. Thanks for the pointer of "not very difficult" rules to learn. DUH! They are simple but why have different information that is ambiguous like stated in my first post? I would suggest that most pilots want to fly safe and all they see is is conflicting information. Its way too easy to say simple rules when the information is not made simple at all when we want to fly simply....

Are you looking for fly hobby or commercial?

Class B required authorization regardless if rec or commercial.

They're all reference apps and thats my point; they all show different information and map coordinates. Thanks for the pointer of "not very difficult" rules to learn. DUH! They are simple but why have different information that is ambiguous like stated in my first post? I would suggest that most pilots want to fly safe and all they see is is conflicting information. Its way too easy to say simple rules when the information is not made simple at all when we want to fly simply....

If pilots want to fly safe, they need to put in the effort. Regardless of what any app shows, they're not a substitute, nor intended to be, for regulations direct from the FAA. Regulations direct from the FAA always supersede what any app tells you - even their own terrible B4UFLY app. That would imply you shouldn't use an app as the ultimate determination of where you can fly. They're good to see where airports are (and find numbers), but they're not intended to be rule books. Apps are only part of the process. We have technology, but it hasn't completely replaced the need for brain power.

You can be in one spot, look up, and see multiple classes of airspace. I suspect that's at least part of what you're seeing. The zoom level on the map in AirMap also goes to what you will see.

For recreational - class B you need explicit authorization, otherwise you only need to notify when with 5 miles.

Reactions: BigAl07
The VERY best source is a VFR sectional. AirMap is coordinating with the FAA for some of this information and will be able to instantly request authorization in the future (2018). However, none of the apps I've seen handle Class B very easily as the shape of it various greatly between airports. The Class C advisories are what I've been seeing to where it is pulling the new map data the FAA is releasing for airspace authorization. It does give the impression that flight is automatically authorized to that altitude, but it is NOT! My guess is this will all settle down in another year or two after the automated system takes hold. Until then, I'm guessing things will be sporadic and a moving target.

If you want to invest the money, Foreflight is an EXCELLENT tool and completely reliable. Commercial pilots (and private pilots alike) have been using it for years to replace paper charts and has been authorized by the FAA for such purpose. It's expensive and not really designed specifically for sUAS pilots, but has excellent information and always up to date. I did send an email to the company awhile back asking them if they would come out with a subscription more designed for sUAS pilots, but they didn't seem like it would fit what they are doing.

Airmap, what is the point? The app guides me through planning and submitting a flight. Why? Submit to whom/where? That is if it works at all. I get error after error on my Note 4.

The app store reviews are a paltry 3 stars with headlines like; "Airmap is working against remote pilots" , "Self serving lobbyists", "Airmap has betrayed us", "They don't represent me".

Just for shits and giggles I downloaded the IOS app to my iPad Pro and planned a flight. In the end it just appeared to time out. Again, what's the point?

Has anyone tried using airmap for autonomously flying their DJI Phantom 3 or greater?

I haven't, and don't plan to anytime soon... it needs a lot of work before I would use it as a flight app (p3p).

The way my flight tablet is setup, when I turn on the RC it asks me if I want to use Go or Litchi... after the last Airmap update, it added itself to that list as a flight app. I deleted the update and reverted to my last backup copy.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94