"Aircraft disconnected"/RC loses connection in cold weather.

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I received my P4Pro last Saturday and it has been cold here in Oregon. I am at about '300 in elevation and am on a rural farm with no neighbors. I have not been able to get it to fly for longer than 8 to 10 minutes without the RC disconnecting completely(showing red light) and then returning to home or auto landing. I have used Iphone 7+ with multiple cables, Nexus 7, 5 and 5X and multiple different versions (all three releases) of the P4Pro firmware with the same result. The temperature outside was anywhere from 32-38 with a humidity of anywhere from %80-90 and no rain. The only was to regain connection to the aircraft is to bring it inside and let it warm up. Of course I don't really want to use it in this condition all the time but just wanted to test it. Is this normal? Is the air from the blades causing the unit to cool below 32 with the windchill? Is this causing my issue? If I bring the Phantom inside of the house I can walk about a mile away with no issues with the remote disconnecting outside. I am unable to run the Phantom inside of the house due to clearance issues, only in the shop. The other house that is a mile away claims they use their P4 in the snow and much colder weather with no issues like mine. They said that my issues must be related to IOS but I get the same result with Android and shouldn't the remote stay connected to the Phantom regardless of the phones state or what it is doing. I.E. Shouldn't it still control the Phantom without the phone? Do I have a bad unit or am I just being impatient and need to wait until it's warmer to fly?

Thank you for your time.

Jesse

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan