Air map - help

On the north side of Atlanta there are 4 areas of concern. Where are you wanting to fly?

I am close to North Atlanta High School's (newish) campus, off northside by the river and 285 (not their old campus off Northside more in-town). Great athletic field to fly from, artificial turf for learning on/landing on. Lots of space.

I will ultimately fly a lot around Allatoona which is free and clear according to that airmap.com site. Where are you south of the city?

I clicked on the "?" icon next to the check box and got the following.

Rules for Recreational Ops

Making this selection will display areas around airports where recreational operations of drones may be restricted or require notice or authorization, depending upon the jurisdiction. For example, in the United States, Community-based guidelines require recreational operators to give notice for flights within 5 statute miles of an airport. Notice must be given to the airport operator and air traffic control tower, if the airport has a tower. Tap or click on an airspace area to see the airport operator phone number. In some places, you may provide digital notice of your flight by clicking the “Add flight here” button.

Basically it means you are within 5 miles of the airport and need to talk to them. It shouldn't be a big deal. In this particular location you are within a few miles of Dobbins. To avoid trouble I would give them a courtesy call. You are low and not in line with the runway. I doubt they would care. However, I would be more concerned about the long range radar and the electronics on the drone. It may not be an issue, but I don't know.

I live in Peachtree City. I used to work in your area a lot before I retired from the FAA. Dobbins was one of my assignments along the way.

The reason I keep mentioning the radar is that I had two cell phones die on me while working near it. I was a lot closer than where you will be.

Reactions: blmeanie
Thanks, saw that too. Small world, I lived in Fayetteville 25 years ago when I moved to Atlanta area. So PTC is covered up with the orange recreational circles as well, do you call in to the airport there before flying?

from experience or just a guess?

Its just a guess. Mainly due to it being an ARB. There is a lot of traffic.

The orange circles are the 5 mile circles. Where i live north of atlanta i am within the 5 mile mark but the "airport" is inactive. But i do have a lot of helecopter and small plane flyovers. Even the occasional hot air balloon!

I hope that you can get approval from dobbins because the skyline and surround areas would be cool to see.

PTC is covered up because of Falcon Field and numerous private airports. I fly out of Falcon Field all the time in the Cessna. I would call them if I were anywhere near the traffic pattern. My house is just outside the pattern, because they fly a left hand pattern for RWY 31 and a right hand pattern for RWY 13. A recreational drone operator may not know this, and should call. My daughter's house is directly under the pattern, at the downwind to base turn. I don't fly there at all, even though the pattern is 1,800' MSL because I don't want to have people complaining to the FAA which would result in more regulations.

I flew low in my backyard to learn the drone. I don't anymore because it got boring. I am more interested in the photo ops in more scenic areas away from town. I also want to do this commercially for a fun way to supplement my retirement. The calls for those flights will be on a case by case basis depending on where they are.

Hello everybody!!

Brought a P3S 4 weeks ago and couldn't find a spot 100% sure to be authorized... I feel like I'll never find a spot without 1h+ of travel!
I live in vinings and am within the 5 miles circle of Dobbins ARB.
Could any of you guys share the control tower phone number?
I'm about to give up and return it to DJI!

Thanks for the help

Gabriel

Hello everybody!!

Brought a P3S 4 weeks ago and couldn't find a spot 100% sure to be authorized... I feel like I'll never find a spot without 1h+ of travel!
I live in vinings and am within the 5 miles circle of Dobbins ARB.
Could any of you guys share the control tower phone number?
I'm about to give up and return it to DJI!

Thanks for the help

Gabriel
Just call what ever is the main number for Dobbins and ask for the ATC phone number.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor