Air map - help

Reaction score
These are some screen shots from airmap at my kids' high school. Obviously there are airports nearby and those are the orange circles, how do I interpret that zone I am in and need to do to fly there. I have seen others fly there.

Screen Shot 2017-01-01 at 2.22.25 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-01-01 at 2.21.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-01-01 at 2.21.48 PM.png

You click on the warning at the top of the screen and a drop down shows you what's in the airspace.

on the pic that is zoomed in there is a smaller/darker orange circle that implies Recreational, what does that mean?

All the advisories there are either heliports or airports. If you're not Part 107 then you need to notify them before you fly. There is one restricted airport there - Rollins - if you click on an area that includes Rollins you'll see a red "flights strictly regulated."

Reactions: sideburn
I know some people get intimidated by calling the tower...it's no big deal at all. Where I am at I have to call them for all of my flights. Occasionally you'll get a cranky person but my experience has been good.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I know some people get intimidated by calling the tower...it's no big deal at all. Where I am at I have to call them for all of my flights. Occasionally you'll get a cranky person but my experience has been good.

how/where do you get numbers for that? What info do you provide?

I use the B4UFLY App. It will tell you the airport names but not numbers. I just google the numbers and have them in my phone. I tell them I am going to be flying a recreational drone under part 101 and the height I'll be flying (has to be under 400 ft) and I tell them the park or address I'm at. I just make sure Im always polite and most of the time they tell me to have fun!

I would probably call the visitor center to get the phone number for the tower. I have found that airport control towers are not usually published. I usually have to google, then make a couple of calls to get the number needed. Once you have the tower on speed dial your golden.

I think dobbins would tell you to kick rocks. Good luck though. I hope you can get approval and some great pics!

Go to www.airnav.com to get the numbers for the control towers and FBO's at uncontrolled fields. I use this web site all the time when I fly to find the airports with the cheapest fuel when we are on trips. By the way, don't take any chances near Dobbins AFB. I say this not only because of the airspace, but because of electrical interference. There is a long range radar just off the field. I don't know how it would react with the electronics in the drone.

I am just south of Atlanta. I am new to the drone world, but I am not new to the aviation world. I will be glad to help with any questions regarding the airports around here. We need to stay out of trouble to avoid even more regulations.

I am just south of Atlanta. I am new to the drone world, but I am not new to the aviation world. I will be glad to help with any questions regarding the airports around here. We need to stay out of trouble to avoid even more regulations.

Thanks, i get the blue circles are the radius of the area airports, what are the orange circles when Recreational is clicked? Are those just a warning/fly with caution or something else?
Screen Shot 2017-01-02 at 3.06.33 PM.png

I highly recommend getting a VFR sectional chart for your area. You can buy them at almost any airport FBO or order one online. Spend a little time learning how to read it. The charts may seem a little overwhelming at first, but they are easy once you use them a while. Stay below 400' and you will be out of trouble in most areas. The only time this will a real issue is when you are next to an airport. The traffic pattern goes to the ground when you are in line with the runway.

Our messages crossed. What is the software you are getting the map from? I will take a look at it. As mentioned above, the B4UFLY app is free from the FAA. I would recommend it.

On the north side of Atlanta there are 4 areas of concern. Where are you wanting to fly?

Our messages crossed. What is the software you are getting the map from? I will take a look at it. As mentioned above, the B4UFLY app is free from the FAA. I would recommend it.
airmap.com, seems easy to use, other than the question I have on the orange recreational circles

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor