AI, instant weather and other information, while flying your drone.

Reaction score
I have been using this for a while. In fact, I now use it every time I fly. I did try to search for the use of AI while flying a drone but could not find it anywhere. So, I thought I would share. I am sure some are using it already but for those who are not, I hope you find it useful.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Enjoy

Hi yes cool,,my device has Google speech is this the same ? I just ask wind speed and got some good audio feedback,,not a bad idea,I used to use the uav weather but never info like I just had,very handy I now going to put another sticker on my remote checklist,thanks for sharing,, 20180820_183114.jpg:),,,,what a great idea for dji to implement into the app,a weather report,or would that be something else to go wrong,

Last edited by a moderator:
ianzone Google speech is voice to text which I suppose can be used to enter into a google search, which would serve a similar purpose.
Google assistant is a live speech interactive Artificial Intelligent service for mobile devices, such as phones, and home devices, those cylindrical things you talk to in your house that seem to be the rage.
Anyway the Google AI is just dam amazing, It can quickly decipher what you are asking and give you fast accurate answers.

You can put money on it, that within a year DJI will be putting out some sort of AI on their software such as the Go app.
Yes, so you will be talking to your drone! Asking it to investigate some elements in the environment reporting on the state of the remaining power and light conditions etc, etc.

Now all this can scare the sh.. out of you, or you can look at all the incredible possibilities that can open up, good and bad.

ianzone Google speech is voice to text which I suppose can be used to enter into a google search, which would serve a similar purpose.
Google assistant is a live speech interactive Artificial Intelligent service for mobile devices, such as phones, and home devices, those cylindrical things you talk to in your house that seem to be the rage.
Anyway the Google AI is just dam amazing, It can quickly decipher what you are asking and give you fast accurate answers.

You can put money on it, that within a year DJI will be putting out some sort of AI on their software such as the Go app.
Yes, so you will be talking to your drone! Asking it to investigate some elements in the environment reporting on the state of the remaining power and light conditions etc, etc.

Now all this can scare the sh.. out of you, or you can look at all the incredible possibilities that can open up, good and bad.
Google AI might be amazing but it has no idea what the weather is doing.
It just accesses one of the weather sites and gives you the same info you could look up yourself.
Just because a computer voice reads it, doesn't mean it's particularly accurate either.
It's been generated from a model and has no way to adjust for all the local features that create your actual weather conditions.

I look up a weather site before I drive to the coast to get an idea of what the weather might be doing.
Then I check live weather observations from ships that are just offfshore and the real winds are rarely what the weather site suggests.

Good info Yeh I live in the land of the lost ,one way in one , one way out,,the weather the same here, it changes just going over the hill or down the coast,so hard to get good here,lately it just watch clouds and that tell me enough ,get me own weather station one day,saves flying straight up to see what's going on
Screenshot_20180820-220240.jpg

Your right Meta4, of course Google Assistant (GA) access the existing weather stations, as do almost all other apps and news organisations. It's generally only governments that have the resources to create massive land and cloud based computing power to predict world and national weather systems. But GA AI does this very well. I have checked it multiple times now. Here in Australia BOM changes its weather reporting between 10 and 30 minutes. GA access this change rapidly, I have tested it. I have then taken my bird up and put it into ATTI mode and GA is incredibly fast and accurate. Its best of course if you are close to an active and major weather data collection station.

Sorry ianzone, looks like you are far from one :(
But that was not my point Meta4. My point was that whilst you are flying you can access this data at any time while keeping your eyes on the aircraft and its controller interface.
More important is the future possibilities of accessing changing weather systems, updates, emergency services and if a nuclear war has started or your kid has been banged up in jail and has sms you to bail them out.
I just wonder if the upcoming "the future of possible" will include some AI, if not it will be soon. I bet your new Mavic Pro 2 on it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan