Aftermarket Knobs for controller.. Dji please make these the new standard

P1000698_DxO.jpg
P1000705_DxO.jpg
P1000706_DxO.jpg
P1000710_DxO.jpg
PhantomKnobs are also a great (and soft) addition to the remote controller sticks. I have them on all of my DJI remote controllers.

View attachment 64642

I too liked the look of these chunky knobs, but baulked at the outrageous international shipping cost. When I first had my P4 (almost three weeks ago now!) I found I didn't care for the spiky tips of the standard control sticks, so I bought a pair of the dished tops as shown in photo #1. I soon realised I didn't like these much either, for I'm more of a twiddler (push the side of the stick or hold it twixt finger and thumb} than a thumbs atop the sticks man.

So I thought about it a bit and came up with what is proving to be a most agreeable solution. An absolute pittance in cost and a very nice feel to the sticks. As my P4 drone is nicknamed EyeFly, I call them EyeFlyStix.

Pretty self-explanatory from the phots, I have refitted the original spiky-top DJI sticks and pushed over each of them a rubber strain-relief bush (strain-relief grommet) made for exiting electrical cables from a chassis or casing. They are quite tricky to push over, but a squirt of harmless aerosol switch cleaner (Servisol Super 10 is what I used) makes the task much easier. The groove around the grommet where it would locate into a hole in a flat chassis surface, I filled with a rubber O-ring. Pushed on to the DJI sticks until the spiky top just protrudes through gives a light thumb-purchase onto the spikes, but nowhere near as harsh as the naked sticks, for the thumb bears onto the rubber top surface as well as onto the spikes. They also work well with a side-push movement, and are equally at home with twiddlers.

I've had a pack of these strain-relief grommets kicking about for years... can't remember where I got them from; probably RS Components. The O-rings came from a box of assorted sizes, and are a perfect fit onto the slightly stretched grommet. The resultant knob is a nice balance between the small DJI control sticks and the rather large, somewhat bulbous, aftermarket knobs with the astronomical shipping cost. There is, of course, no reason why plain old grommets couldn't be used instead... the 'skirts' of the strain-relief part don't really contribute any useful purpose.

I hope this idea proves useful to the forum community. If it turns out to be so, I claim the moniker 'EyeFlyStix' for them!

Happy twiddling,

Tony

View attachment 65876 View attachment 65877 View attachment 65878 View attachment 65879 View attachment 65876 View attachment 65877 View attachment 65878 View attachment 65879

Last edited:
Reactions: tml4191
baulked at the outrageous international shipping cost
Shipping from the US to other countries is crazy expensive. Shippers just keep raising the costs on us :(

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20