Aftermarket battery vote/ survey.

Would you use an aftermarket battery

• Total voters
Oh come ON!!! You make an absurd claim, and when I call you on it you tell me to go search for the answer myself?

First off, when I ask you for a "source", I mean a CREDIBLE source, not equally absurd comments made by koolaid swallowing idiots on a forum somewhere.

Second off, YOU made the claim so it falls on YOU to provide evidence, not me to go see if your ridiculous claim has any merit.

All of that would presume I care enough to use the search button. Personally I have no problem at all if you or anyone uses 3rd party batteries. So I don't need the information for myself. What I do know is that it's a well known fact in this forum (as well as the DJI forum). There is also a reason why sites such as banggood state in their listing that the batteries work with the newest version of the DJI Go app (because this has been an issue in the past). I posted so that anyone who _wants_ to know the facts an know that it's been discussed before and they can simply search for that information. It does not matter to me if you don't care to research this issue. I 3rd party batteries always work for you, that is great.

I bought a third party battery from amazon - second flight I had a battery warning then suddenly at aircraft disconnect (at 400 feet) needless to say the outcome was expensive. I now own only oem battery's

Reactions: deltamike
I have two from banggood and can't fault them in any way, just as good as the original, plenty of cycles, and also can't pick any difference in performance, between them and my original.
My two extras combined cost less than one genuine.
Link for that battery?

I bought a third party battery from amazon - second flight I had a battery warning then suddenly at aircraft disconnect (at 400 feet) needless to say the outcome was expensive. I now own only oem battery's

What was the warning, was it the battery's fault for certain? Some seem to have this happen to them regardless of battery

I'm going to get one as there is laws here and if the product fails to a fault from the battery they should replace. Refund... Consumers rights yo!
Yea, to bad they have zero legal clout in china. Not worth risking a $1800 drone for saving the $30 to me.

Good point. I was wondering about firmware updates with aftermarket batteries in the aircraft while updating.

So what happens when you plug that battery in later ? If the SD card has the FW on it - ALL batterys will then be checked and updated if FW is old.

Nigel

All of that would presume I care enough to use the search button. Personally I have no problem at all if you or anyone uses 3rd party batteries. So I don't need the information for myself. What I do know is that it's a well known fact in this forum (as well as the DJI forum). There is also a reason why sites such as banggood state in their listing that the batteries work with the newest version of the DJI Go app (because this has been an issue in the past). I posted so that anyone who _wants_ to know the facts an know that it's been discussed before and they can simply search for that information. It does not matter to me if you don't care to research this issue. I 3rd party batteries always work for you, that is great.

So in fact all you are doing is repeating hearsay .....

Banggood are only saying it works with latest FW because of the bull**** reports of bricking batterys ...

Nigel

Reactions: emfederin

I would love to know the real reason for failure.

I say this because I know from my own experience - we decide a fault for xxxx reason - but when actually analysed - we find different.

A good example is my Display Biplane that made a straight line into the tarmac. I was SURE it was my fault and I exclaim on the video that I made error.
But later examination of the video proves it was a failed servo and NOT me.

We are always quick to blame something - but there's always room for doubt espacially in our RC world where we only survey the damage after.

Who's to sy you didn't connect battery fully ... who's to say that even by DJI own admission that contacts are not dirty from arcing ? Etc.

Nigel

What was the warning, was it the battery's fault for certain? Some seem to have this happen to them regardless of battery

100% the battery at fault it showed a message about a cell failure, can't recall exactly I would have to dig through healthy drones data which of course I scrutinised post crash. The battery also showed signs of overheating and cell swelling. I can only share my experiences and it's not one that I am prepared to happen again. My thoughts are if you have a oem battery you are operating in the realms of warranty (as long as you have tinkered with anything else of course) and for the sake of another £60 pounds you are going some way to ensuring the safety of your drones and others property/people around you should the worse happen. It was a very scary experience I felt if it had hit me I would be a gonna. By the way new gimbal/camera and skids came to £240 wish I had spent the extra £60 in the first place.....

I would love to know the real reason for failure.

I say this because I know from my own experience - we decide a fault for xxxx reason - but when actually analysed - we find different.

A good example is my Display Biplane that made a straight line into the tarmac. I was SURE it was my fault and I exclaim on the video that I made error.
But later examination of the video proves it was a failed servo and NOT me.

We are always quick to blame something - but there's always room for doubt espacially in our RC world where we only survey the damage after.

Who's to sy you didn't connect battery fully ... who's to say that even by DJI own admission that contacts are not dirty from arcing ? Etc.

Nigel

Here you go, do what you will with the data - for me after reviewing the data I am convinced it was a battery cell issue however I feel other may need to make there own minds up on here.

Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

Also here are some pics post crash of the battery and a hurried screenshot maybe a second before the crash.

Also before I have any comments - I am fully aware of my height. I am aware of regulations [emoji4]

f43e5160b6cdda94519feffaa3dbf3d9.jpg

7c74be75848e3927f81fedff86e177d8.jpg

dcd61b583a944554764a541f0ede4004.jpg

Here you go, do what you will with the data - for me after reviewing the data I am convinced it was a battery cell issue however I feel other may need to make there own minds up on here.

Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

Also here are some pics post crash of the battery and a hurried screenshot maybe a second before the crash.

Also before I have any comments - I am fully aware of my height. I am aware of regulations [emoji4]

f43e5160b6cdda94519feffaa3dbf3d9.jpg

7c74be75848e3927f81fedff86e177d8.jpg

dcd61b583a944554764a541f0ede4004.jpg
That is savage... sorry
At what point in flying did it say about the battery?
Did you bring it down after? Or was it warning turn free fall?
I think it's possible for the oem battery's to do the same sometimes.

All the info you need is there.

Not saying oem batteries can't do the same, after all they are only batteries. As I previously mentioned it's my belief if you run the risk of using a non oem and have a failure like I did then you would very unlikely be covered under DJI warranty.

Only sharing my experience - not saying you should or shouldn't

When will people read and understand what DJI writes in their manual ?

Page 16 - Users Op manual ..... in DIRECT REFERENCE to
use of Batterys ....

"Read the Phantom 3 Standard Intelligent Flight Battery safety Guidelines before use. Users take full responsibility for all operations and usage."

So OEM or 3rd Party ... DJI disclaim you anyway !!

Second ... to "deeksyyy" ... I never said you were wrong - what I was illustrating is that we often blame an item but on subsequent investigation - we find its something else.

I have given up counting the number of times crashes due to faulty installation / pilot error that get blamed on 'poor kit. bad model design etc' ......

It is actually rare we can be exact on cause of a crash as we are NOT in the machine to see actual faults. We are an observer only .... Even flight logs are only a part addition to observations.

Its a well known fact that some people have failed to plug in their battery fully home. That surely would cause a fault warning as it works its way out ... and then finally BHAM ...

Nigel

Im not trying to course fuss, I'm simply asking peoples experiences and truths.
I myself have read instructions many times so personally would not fly if a battery had a funny cell, or even if a cell suddenly showed a fault I would be bringing her straight down .
Going by DJI customer services I think you would be very lucky if they took responsibility any way. I'm sure one day I will be given the opportunity to test.
I think there must be some good 3rd party battery's out there but also some shoddy ones . Personally I would rather spend £60 more and get the original but that's the point in me writing these posts , to find out how many problems people have had, if any?
So far your experience is daunting but there does seen to be a higher portion of good experiences.
I will get one for flying in the park and playing with the nephew . I will keep my original for long distance and height.
Wish me luck

The 'proof is in the pudding' as they say.

The fact still remains that those who answer yes - have 'actual experience' of using 3rd party batterys. If the battery fails - then I am sure they would first in the queue to buy original !! But they buy and use 3rd party and all goes well.

There must be of course failures - nothing in life is perfect. Even a Rolls Royce breaks down at times.

But those who are adamant they will not buy 3rd party ... I would put money on the table that majority have no personal experience of their own to make the decision of use or not use. They decide based on the belief of staying with brand design. The often quoted DJI Warranty item is a non-starter if anyone cares to read DJI manuals properly. Even in 'Ambulance Chasing USA' and the strong Warranty arena of EU - it would be hard to have DJI up in court !!

I would also suggest that many people on either side of the fence are more interested in going outside and flying than posting votes on Polls / typing out replies.

The law of averages indicates that in early stages of a poll - you get tendency to one side and an early victory. But as polls carry on ... over time they start to even out. This is what will happen here the longer it runs - eventually providing little or no decisive argument for either side.

The fact cannot be denied though - that people do use 3rd party batterys, successfully and have no doubt to continue to use. Its the act of finding a reliable source and sticking with it. I would be first to suggest not changing from a source that works. Jumping around just trying to get cheapest price is definitely not a good idea. Saving money is, but only if you have a good product. Myself and I know others have found good product and saved money and still enjoy full capability / use of the P3.

Nigel

Reactions: Riche10
So again nothing in stone just internet warriors with opinions.
I can se how if you brough the cheapest battery going it's not going to be as good as the original but, there is one on Amazon for £70 with sound reviews ( not that Amazon can be trusted ) next week I will order one and give real feedback .

Powerextra 15.2V 4480mAh LiPo Intelligent Replacement Battery for DJI Phantom 3 Professional, Phantom 3 Advanced and Phantom 3 Standard, 4K Drones Powerextra 15.2V 4480mAh LiPo Intelligent Replacement Battery for DJI Phantom 3 Professional, Phantom 3 Advanced and Phantom 3 Standard, 4K Drones: Amazon.co.uk: Toys & Games
I have 3 power extra for my P3A and so far good..

What would be interesting is to actually get an electrician or a DJI engineer to give some real feedback. Does anyone know someone? I know DJI need to protect there income/products but would be really good to se what they say.

What would be interesting is to actually get an electrician or a DJI engineer to give some real feedback. Does anyone know someone? I know DJI need to protect there income/products but would be really good to se what they say.
Anyone you find at DJI won't know or won't tell you anything other than DJI are the greatest and all others are rubbish.

You could ask Sunwoda, they make the DJI phantom batteries (probably others). Even with no comment the name gives confidence, they supply phone, laptop and tool batteries (other types also) to all the big names.

Don't hold your breath waiting for DJI to give any answer. I have a series of questions I put to DJI and I had different answers depending on who answered. It was regional as well ... and contradictory quite often.

DJI will never answer definitively on the batterys for commercial reasons.

Not only that - but warranty stipulations in one region can be illegal in another. Big boys such as Microsoft have found that out when trying to impose USA Warranty conditions in EU.

I worked on a battery with an electronics guy who makes his living by servicing micro electronics etc. He is also an extremely experienced RC Electrics flyer / user. Together we determined the 'lack' of full balancing, the use of total voltage instead of individual cell monitoring in charge / discharge. The fact that the board is primarily two functions : a) Charge and Discharge controller, b) Telemetry data board.

What more do you need to know ? Not being rude .. just honest. DJI will never tell you anything of real consequence except Don't use 3rd party !!

Even when they say - it voids Warranty - that's a joke as they already wrote disclaimers in their literature anyway ! So use DJI or 3rd Party makes no difference in warranty terms to them.
The only thing that may affect warranty is in any other fault that if they find out you used 3rd party battery may give them excuse to void your claim - but to be honest - it would have to be sophisticated log to show such ... unless you really had a crap battery !!

Nigel

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl