Aftermarket Batteries $95 USD

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Apple case shows why this isn't 'against the law' or a slam dunk for the lawyer sitting next to you at the theatre. The touch sensor is part of a complex crypto system and only Apple has the supply chain to replace the device without compromising security. Yep, it's a bit of a **** move on Apple's part - they could have sold the tool chain to every tiny little repair shop on the planet - but that's not how Apple rolls. And laws don't stop companies from pulling **** moves.

Should somebody try to sue DJI for stopping third party batteries - and at least in the US you can generally initiate a suit on almost any pretext - all they have to say is that the company wants to ensure that the communication between battery and the rest of the UAV is critical for safety. Now it's a reasonable safety issue. You might win, you probably won't. As a small, likely fly by night operator, do you want to after a company running a billion dollars of inventory per year?

IANL, but I am unaware of any law in the US that requires you to let third party parts work with your device.

Move by DJI to block use of third party batteries into the system points to the wrong business ethics. Batteries are consumable item and others should not be stopped from supplying quality spares. DJI can still recommend to use DJI brand batteries but should not enforce.

I remember Microsoft days when they were forcing I.E. As the only browser in Windows and lost it. They forced WM music player of their own but lost it. Consumers would stay with your products if they are the best else they would like to pick the right thing that suits them best.

DJI can fight on the basis of human safety but then they may have to prove that others can't produce quality batteries.

Between the DJI monopoly and something in the news about banning shipment of lithium battery's by air, I would not
be surprised to see the price going up.

Those Up Start batteries I have used in other electronics and they worked fine. But not sure if I'd take a risk in my Phantom.

Also, someone bought some and they didn't work. See the buyers review on Amazon.ca...

2-Pack Replacement DJI Phantom 3 Standard Battery - For DJI Phantom 3 Quadcopter Drone - UpStart Battery Brand: Amazon.ca: Electronics

No one left a review on the single...

EDIT: I found the one below and they state it works with the latest upgrades. Any testers? lol

4500mAh Intelligent Battery for DJI Phantom 3 Drone, 23 Minutes Flying Time for Phantom 3 Professional, Phantom 3 Advanced and Phantom 3 Standard - White, Batteries - Amazon Canada

Those Up Start batteries I have used in other electronics and they worked fine. But not sure if I'd take a risk in my Phantom.

Also, someone bought some and they didn't work. See the buyers review on Amazon.ca...

2-Pack Replacement DJI Phantom 3 Standard Battery - For DJI Phantom 3 Quadcopter Drone - UpStart Battery Brand: Amazon.ca: Electronics

No one left a review on the single...

EDIT: I found the one below and they state it works with the latest upgrades. Any testers? lol

4500mAh Intelligent Battery for DJI Phantom 3 Drone, 23 Minutes Flying Time for Phantom 3 Professional, Phantom 3 Advanced and Phantom 3 Standard - White, Batteries - Amazon Canada
The Amazon review that you posted is the review that this whole post is based on.

I sent the following email to the company selling the batteries:

"What is your warranty/guarantee on your drone batteries? Phantom 3 Drones are up to $1200 USD. If one crashes because of a bad battery or cell - it can destroy the drone and possibly hurt someone. How do you assure pilots that your batteries are safe for flight?"

...and I received the following, useless reply...

"Thank you for inquiring. This battery has 1 year warranty. This is our new product that we just started selling."

I ordered one anyway. If DJI doesn't let it work as-is I can probably use the cells in a battery mod...

Just arrived today at 16.6V - charging it now. Looks and feels well built. Weighs a tad lighter than the OEM. 364g vs 365g. Negligible.

Will be taking it out for a test flight shortly and will try it with both DJI Go and Autopilot.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1462299178.202038.jpg

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1462299192.653835.jpg

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1462299210.922334.jpg

Next I tried AutoPilot.
Attempted to start the motors using the CSC command - no error message, no response at all. I switched to "Black Box" mode and hit engage. A message popped up saying "Below hard flight deck" but still - the motors did not start.

It appears that with the current firmware, aftermarket batteries will not work - at all. So, I suppose I could return this or use its cells in a battery mod? Or hold onto it and see if DJI is pressured into reversing its decision to outlaw all other batteries.

I bought a aftermarket battery on eBay and it had a note on it

This Battery Only Compatible with:

iPhone 5s, 6, 6s, 6 PLUS,
iPad mini 3, IPAD MD788ZP/A, IPAD4 MD531LL/A,
Samsung Note5,Samsung G7109,
Xiaomi Hongmi etc.

Weird huh?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

There is nothing in the DJI FAQ saying that third party batteries cannot be used. If they worked properly up until the latest firmware update - do we have any legal recourse against DJI for this clearly selfish/greedy restriction which renders our devices inoperable as a punishment for not buying OEM?

In any case, I decided to play stupid and just opened a ticket with DJI saying:

"I get a warning message in DJI Go saying "Non-DJI Intelligent Flight Battery Detected. Aircraft Flight Prevented."

How do I acknowledge the warning so that I am able to fly with the non-DJI battery?"

Will post their response here.

Warnings are usually supposed to be non-fatal. Like a strong advisory - or a caution. This "non-DJI battery" warning would be fine if that's all it were - but by disabling the ability to fly - they are clearly treating it like an "Error" and not a "Warning".

Well here's the response chain. Surely there must be some recourse against a company than changes the rules like this after people have already gone out and spent money... Isn't there? I mean it would be one thing if there was a disclaimer right from the beginning that OEM batteries MUST be used - but there wasn't. So - apart from being a real sucky way to treat your customers - is there any legal recourse in be US or Canada?. (Next message will have the email chain....)

-------------------
From DJI:
-------------------
Thank you for contacting DJI. Is the battery you're using a DJI manufactured battery or an aftermarket battery? If it is an aftermarket battery, we can't advise on 3rd party products and can't ensure that it will work with our aircraft.
-------------------
From Me:
-------------------
"It's an aftermarket battery - but I'm not asking you to ensure that it's going to work.

I realize that I am using it at my own risk.

But in the latest firmware, DJI Go is disabling the aircraft instead of just warning me that I am not using a DJI battery.

I'm asking you to tell me where is the setting/option located that will let me acknowledge the warning and go ahead and fly at my own risk?

If you don't know where the setting is - please escalate this request to your supervisor."
-------------------
From Me again
-------------------
"Here is the warning message I am receiving in the DJI Go app:
(Screenshot)

Since it is just a warning - and not an actual error - there should be a way that I can acknowledge the message and continue at my own risk - but I cannot locate the option."

-------------------
From DJI
-------------------
I'm sorry but there is no setting to bypass this message. The app is detecting an issue (non dji product), so the message appears to notify you it's not compatible.

-------------------
From DJI again
-------------------
Our Support Rep has indicated that your ticket has been Resolved.

If you believe that the ticket has not been resolved, please reply to this email to automatically reopen the ticket.
If there is no response from you, we will assume that the ticket has been resolved and the ticket will be automatically closed after 48 hours.

"The app is detecting an issue (non-DJI product..."

So a product being non-DJI is an issue?

If they get away with this - watch for the new motors to have RFID readers in them next year - and they will refer to turn on unless you are using authentic DJI props / which coincidentally will triple in price....

After that - probably SD cards? Purchase from DJI or you can't fly!

Unbelievable. What a scumbag thing to do to your customers!

Just an FYI for everyone. Keep watching Amazon for the real batteries. There was a deal on the DJI battery for $99 since they were overstocked. It only lasted a couple of hours then back up to the $113 from the same seller as there is now and mentioned in this thread. I have that on my watch list, so it alerts me when the DJI ones go down. $113 is a good deal too. That is what I bought my 2nd for.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Dang Nickster, that's even a good deal for us Canucks!

---

That aftermarket battery thing with DJI, I think that's a crock of you know what. It's a shame.

Reactions: Nickster
For those of us who don't update, what version of FW rendered after market batteries useless?

I suppose I could search through the comprehensive and highly detailed release notes DJi provides with each FW release.....LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.