Aftermarket Batteries $95 USD

Status
Not open for further replies.
"The app is detecting an issue (non-DJI product..."

So a product being non-DJI is an issue?

If they get away with this - watch for the new motors to have RFID readers in them next year - and they will refer to turn on unless you are using authentic DJI props / which coincidentally will triple in price....

After that - probably SD cards? Purchase from DJI or you can't fly!

Unbelievable. What a scumbag thing to do to your customers!

What version of FW are you using to test after market batteries?

Look at my sig. That is the last version of firmware and app that will run non oem battery's. Go App 2.61 started the non oem battery detection.

Look at my sig. That is the last version of firmware and app that will run non oem battery's. Go App 2.61 started the non oem battery detection.

It doesn't seem to be limited to the Go App. I tried to fly with Autopilot and i tried to fly with just the RC (no app at all) but in each case, I could not start the motors - so there must also be code in the aircraft firmware that detects battery type and denies flight.

All I can tell you for sure is the firmware that was current when go 2.61 came is what is in my sig now as I have not updated since those firmwares.
Most people were on those firmwares at the time of the go 2.61 release. Anyone with a non oem battery started complaining.
People were able to go back to 2.60 and could run their non oem's again.

So what I am saying is it appeared to be only in the go app at that time. It might be in firmware now too. Do not know.
From what you say it certainly sounds like it is.

The thing is you can't just go back to Go 2.60 if you have taken the latest firmware updates.

I believe (but not 100% sure) that when go 2.61 disabled the non oem battery's, those flying Litchi were not affected at that point in time.

DJI had NFZgate earlier and now have BatteryGate. :)

Reactions: Trackman1
Dang Nickster, that's even a good deal for us Canucks!

---

That aftermarket battery thing with DJI, I think that's a crock of you know what. It's a shame.
No kidding. I would have grabbed one that day too, but got vetoed by my better half. As soon as I see it again, I will let everyone know.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Sorry might sound stupid, but why wouldn't you buy genuine? It's $20 more! Seriously, you've spent hundreds on your phantom and you're worried about 20 bucks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too bad it's not just in the Go app because I could probably decompile that and bypass the message in the app (on Android anyway).

Mike

I don't think anyone knows for sure Mike.
With the new firmware one has to use the new go app.
So chance are it's still and app thing.

I agree for $20 who cares. But those good prices only seem to exist in the US.
For Canadians we are still paying the old $149 USD price. Plus shipping and taxes.

There are many examples of companies adding questionable restrictions to the supplies and accessories you can use with their products (eg, toner and ink cartridges). I don't know the current US regulations, but years ago it was considered an anti-competitive practice to create such barriers unless a non-OEM item could damage the product, or endanger the user or the environment. It is up to the FTC to enforce these regs, and they have not always been very active in doing so.

In this case though I think DJI could make a good argument that an unknown battery could be risky. I think it would have been better if, instead of preventing take-off, the app displayed the warning but allowed the pilot to override it. That warning, plus invalidating the aircraft warranty for any crashes when using a non-DJI battery as recorded in the flight record, would strike a better balance.

Reactions: Trackman1
bought 2 of these aftermarket batteries direct from China taobao - usd$72 each shipping included (shops locally in Singapore charges about usd$150)

Got them today, plugged them in and glad to report that they are compatible with latest firmware, will report when I get a chance to use them.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    806.3 KB · Views: 322
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    744.2 KB · Views: 308
bought 2 of these aftermarket batteries direct from China taobao - usd$72 each shipping included (shops locally in Singapore charges about usd$150)

Got them today, plugged them in and glad to report that they are compatible with latest firmware, will report when I get a chance to use them.

I would be incredibly uncomfortable flying after market batteries. Not to mention they could become doorstops after the next update making them absolutely unusable

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
Good day!
I am absolutely new to rc anything. But I have already nothing good to say about DJI. Sorry! From buying direct in their own online store to their - sorry again - stupid behavior with their customer service (horrible at least!). The battery story is another negative "money-printing" issue I have what looks to me, as a normal DJI behavior. Reminds me when in the 2000 year around printer companies started to implement firmware, what wouldn't allow owners to use aftermarket toner cartridges or inkjet. The aftermarket figured that out and sold refilled cartridges / inkjet with "00" chips.

The point? I never update my brother printer and use aftermarket items as long the result is compare to the original. On the other site, mostly everything is made in China. So what? I actually had a discussion going on about DJI's batteries. DJI-Thor meant, that he would never trust their own batteries himself! Statement made on a post, DJI customers complaint, that their from DJI store shipped batteries arrived damaged (Swollen, deformed)! DJI-Thor actually replied: "They could be already 3 month on the shelf. There is a point we give only 6 month warranty on the batteries...."

Now people, Phantom pilots, pay $149 USD with the risk that you can use batteries for - maybe - three month and buy new ones? I can buy aftermarket batteries and get 12 month warranty on them and the sellers refund you the full amount of money if they do not work with your phantom drone. I'm here in Canada too and I'm better off buying aftermarket with a much better warranty then DJI is offering. BTW: I ordered one aftermarket battery and the seller said that it would be the newest generation of batteries who would run with any firmware available. "You still have 12 month warranty. Let me know if the battery stops working. I replace it for you...."

Now what? I am as a newbie, check out the aftermarket battery. If it won't work, I ask for my money back - or the newest "cracked" firmware for the battery. But I am sure that I won't update anything from DJI's software so far. :cool:

Some of DJI Thor's response to batteries:
  • "DJI tested all the batteries before they are sent out, but some die during transport or storage."
  • "It's not just shipping, some dealers store them for, say 3 months before they actually sell it to customer. Without usage for 3 months, the battery is likely to die."
Now you still buy original batteries and fly with them over water, knowing that the battery will die? No wonder that in the last couple month a lot crashes occurred. Maybe the guys used original batteries stored 3 month at the dealer or DJI store? Makes me wonder.....

Last edited:
Good day!
I am absolutely new to rc anything. But I have already nothing good to say about DJI. Sorry! From buying direct in their own online store to their - sorry again - stupid behavior with their customer service (horrible at least!). The battery story is another negative "money-printing" issue I have what looks to me, as a normal DJI behavior. Reminds me when in the 2000 year around printer companies started to implement firmware, what wouldn't allow owners to use aftermarket toner cartridges or inkjet. The aftermarket figured that out and sold refilled cartridges / inkjet with "00" chips.

The point? I never update my brother printer and use aftermarket items as long the result is compare to the original. On the other site, mostly everything is made in China. So what? I actually had a discussion going on about DJI's batteries. DJI-Thor meant, that he would never trust their own batteries himself! Statement made on a post, DJI customers complaint, that their from DJI store shipped batteries arrived damaged (Swollen, deformed)! DJI-Thor actually replied: "They could be already 3 month on the shelf. There is a point we give only 6 month warranty on the batteries...."

Now people, Phantom pilots, pay $149 USD with the risk that you can use batteries for - maybe - three month and buy new ones? I can buy aftermarket batteries and get 12 month warranty on them and the sellers refund you the full amount of money if they do not work with your phantom drone. I'm here in Canada too and I'm better off buying aftermarket with a much better warranty then DJI is offering. BTW: I ordered one aftermarket battery and the seller said that it would be the newest generation of batteries who would run with any firmware available. "You still have 12 month warranty. Let me know if the battery stops working. I replace it for you...."

Now what? I am as a newbie, check out the aftermarket battery. If it won't work, I ask for my money back - or the newest "cracked" firmware for the battery. But I am sure that I won't update anything from DJI's software so far. :cool:
Welcome Holger... why the anger? OEM DJI batteries can be had for about $100 these days. I also use third party ink & toner but I also don't spend $1000 on a printer that might crash into a tree :D The propulsion system with any UAV should be the best it can be and that means buying the batteries made for it. Go ahead and save $20 if you want, I'll take it as insurance. Also if you try to get warranty repairs and you used a third party battery you are out of luck. I am still using DJI batteries that are 2 years old and they work as good as they did on day one. You just have to take care of them. A third party warranty of -$100 will not replace your crashed quad either. As far as DJI customer service goes, it has improved immensely, most repairs only taking a week in the USA. Maybe DJI doesn't make the best product for your particular needs, there are many other companies now days that make some pretty fantastic UAV's. Have you seen the new GoPro Karma?

Welcome Holger... why the anger? OEM DJI batteries can be had for about $100 these days..........

Nice for you in the USA. But I have to use my CAD to pay... How much did you say?
https://www.amazon.ca/DJI-Phantom-I...=8-17&keywords=Phantom+3+professional+battery

I'm guessing that this is an original but I can't be sure... For us it's not the battery cost alone. Shipping and duty fees ( another $40-50 USD) on top ruin the fun to buy in the USA these days.

Labeling:
At the DJI forum, people actually don't know if they got already fake batteries from the DJI store. Chines writing on one battery and the second one has only English writing. Batteries won't charge or work with the drone right out the box.

off-topic:
Why my anger? Try to order from the DJI store and receive a original box with garbage in it and missing accessories! Have to ship it back and they need 8 days to evaluate a shipment what should have never been shipped to me in the 1st place. Confirmation messages, phone calls - I did my part. DJI? That's a different story. If it isn't right this time, they can refund my money. I thought I would start a nice hobby and DJI made a mess out of it right at the 1st time! Sorry for going off-topic!

Nice for you in the USA. But I have to use my CAD to pay... How much did you say?
https://www.amazon.ca/DJI-Phantom-I...=8-17&keywords=Phantom+3+professional+battery

I'm guessing that this is an original but I can't be sure... For us it's not the battery cost alone. Shipping and duty fees ( another $40-50 USD) on top ruin the fun to buy in the USA these days.

Labeling:
At the DJI forum, people actually don't know if they got already fake batteries from the DJI store. Chines writing on one battery and the second one has only English writing. Batteries won't charge or work with the drone right out the box.

off-topic:
Why my anger? Try to order from the DJI store and receive a original box with garbage in it and missing accessories! Have to ship it back and they need 8 days to evaluate a shipment what should have never been shipped to me in the 1st place. Confirmation messages, phone calls - I did my part. DJI? That's a different story. If it isn't right this time, they can refund my money. I thought I would start a nice hobby and DJI made a mess out of it right at the 1st time! Sorry for going off-topic!
You can get an OEM DJI battery in Canada for $162 shipped- https://www.amazon.ca/DJI-P3-Batter...ords=DJI+Phantom+3+Intelligent+Flight+Battery

Any friends in the US that you could send it to first? Many of my Canadian friends do that or have American addresses at the border if your close to it.

Living in Canada has it's perks but the cost of goods isn't one of them. The price you pay to live in the great white North I suppose. :)

You can get an OEM DJI battery in Canada for $162 shipped- https://www.amazon.ca/DJI-P3-Batter...ords=DJI+Phantom+3+Intelligent+Flight+Battery

Any friends in the US that you could send it to first? Many of my Canadian friends do that or have American addresses at the border if your close to it.

Living in Canada has it's perks but the cost of goods isn't one of them. The price you pay to live in the great white North I suppose. :)
Living 7 hours NORTH of the border isn't any close to one of this shipping outlets. My 76 year old auntie can't even sent a letter with the proper address anymore and blames the Canadian mail service as usual. But that's not even the point. If DJI doesn't trust their own batteries (what isn't any good news at all!), you can't even be sure that your drone survives the next flight. There are a couple new posts in the DJI forum where the drone did fall into water (river, lake, ocean), with no sign at all for the owners why. The owners have no choice than to believe what DJI says because DJI is encrypting now all the logs what is another point of DJI "playing" God! Why can't I look where my drone did fall down on the logs by myself?

Welcome Holger... why the anger? OEM DJI batteries can be had for about $100 these days. I also use third party ink & toner but I also don't spend $1000 on a printer that might crash into a tree :D The propulsion system with any UAV should be the best it can be and that means buying the batteries made for it. Go ahead and save $20 if you want, I'll take it as insurance. Also if you try to get warranty repairs and you used a third party battery you are out of luck. I am still using DJI batteries that are 2 years old and they work as good as they did on day one. You just have to take care of them. A third party warranty of -$100 will not replace your crashed quad either. As far as DJI customer service goes, it has improved immensely, most repairs only taking a week in the USA. Maybe DJI doesn't make the best product for your particular needs, there are many other companies now days that make some pretty fantastic UAV's. Have you seen the new GoPro Karma?

Warranty's and insurance are a big waste of money if you never need to use them. For those that never experience an incident in which a warranty or insurance can be used - the only benefit they provide is to make a nervous person feel less nervous!

It's obvious from your post, that the thought of having to pay for a repair or replacement of your bird after a crash - is something that makes you nervous or causes you stress. So you probably fly responsibly, safely, cautiously and do everything else in your power to minimize the risk of a crash. Good for you! We should all fly that way - all the time!

Not everybody feels the same way as you though. Hopefully we all fly safely - but some of us don't believe the DJI propaganda that says their battery is better than anyone else's. We know that there are manufacturers out there that can and do make batteries that perform as well as, or better than DJI branded batteries.

We also know that claims of the entire Phantom warranty becoming void simply for flying with an aftermarket battery is false and it's nothing but fear-mongering spread by DJI representatives and under-informed DJI fans. The truth is that if you are involved in a crash and request warranty repair/replacement from DJI, they will investigate and determine the root cause of the crash. If the root cause is NOT an aftermarket component (and not pilot error), the warranty repair will be performed!

If the root cause is due to a battery failure and you are using an after-market battery, you are out of luck.

If the root cause is due to a prop spinning off and you are using after market props - you are out of luck.

BUT - If the root cause is a defective ESC or GPS module, your repair will be processed - no matter what props and what battery you are using!

The bottom line is: if the after market component is responsible for your crash, your DJI warranty is not valid - but if your after market part (whether it be props, the battery, landing gear, prop guards, etc) is NOT the root cause of the crash - your warranty is still valid.

But then there are also those of us that are no longer protected by a warranty because it's been over a year. If we believe that a particular after-market battery is better and more reliable than the DJI branded battery - we should be allowed to make that choice and use that battery. Why should DJI be able to force us to use a lower quality battery?

Here's a question I've never seen asked or answered - but let's say that I have a Phantom that is 2 years old and completely out of warranty. If I purchase a brand new battery from DJI and it fails during its second flight - will DJI replace or repair my entire Phantom - even though it's 2+ years old? Or will they simply replace the battery because it's the only component that is covered by a warranty?

In any case - *you* get a feeling that you're doing all you can to protect your investment by ensuring that your warranty remains valid - so that you're made whole financially if your battery fails. I want the same type of feeling - but mine is less about the money and more about avoiding the crash in the first place! I want to feel like I am doing all that I can to prevent my Phantom from crashing - and for me, that comes from buying a battery that I trust more than the DJI battery. You don't care as much about crashing as I do - because you know that after a crash, your bird will be replaced at no cost to you. I want to avoid the crash completely. It just so happens to be a bonus for me that I can buy a better quality battery for a lower price - and that bonus actually also serves to show how much DJI is actually gouging their customers. If an after market battery maker can produce a better quality product AND make a decent profit while selling it for considerably less than the OEM equivalent part - it highlights the greed of the OEM. DJI should have educated us on their website by dissecting their own battery and a few different aftermarket batteries and SHOWN US why their batteries are better...but they didn't (because they're not!). They implemented firmware code to reject any non-DJI battery. If the DJI batteries were truly better - this step would not have been required. This was all about capturing the most possible profit from a required commodity. If this type of business practice is not illegal (and apparently, it's not) - it should be!

But having said that - I don't want anyone to misquote me. I'm definitely NOT saying that ALL aftermarket batteries are better than DJI's OEM batteries. There are definitely some lower quality batteries out there as well.

The trick is determining which ones are "the best". Here are a few different ways one could do that:
a) find an impartial 3rd party review online
b) buy a few different ones & tear them down yourself
c) read online user reviews
d) research other batteries from the manufacturer
e) believe the propaganda from the company that sells the highest priced battery

With all those options listed together, don't you find it funny (and at the same time a bit sad or naive) how so many pilots have chosen (e) "fiercely believe the company that sells them for the highest price when they say ours are the best!"?

Warranties are not the end all and be all of drone ownership. You don't want to crash because it's expensive. I don't want to crash because I don't want to crash! I don't want to have to wait while the drone is off being fixed. I don't want to damage anyone's property. (I don't fly over people so that's not a concern), but I don't want the hassle of taking it to get repaired or the expense of owning a second one "just in case". Because of that - I want to choose to fly with the batteries I believe are best, the props I believe are best, etc!

I get it. You're happy flying with lesser quality batteries - because if/when they crash, you'll get everything fixed for free - at least until the warranty expires - and that's fine for you. You're happy paying a little extra for your batteries even if you don't realize that the "extra" covers executive bonuses and an "insurance" premium towards replacing some % of the warranty claims they know will occur. It doesn't actually mean that they are of greater quality.

You and I just have differing priorities. The only thing that's wrong with your position is if it is based on an incorrect assumption that the DJI batteries are "better" than anything else that's out there - or if you think that all other pilots will share your priorities. You should realize that what's right for you is definitely not the right choice for everybody!

"DJI batteries are best!!!" That's definitely what they want you to think - especially since they are clearly the most expensive choice - but if that were true, it would be worth it (in Marketing) for DJI to spend a few thousand dollars and commission an independent analysis of their OEM batteries against 5 of the top aftermarket batteries - and then Dwayne the results on their website. But don't hold your breath waiting for such a bake-off to occur. DJI would look horrible if such an evaluation were to really occur and they scored anything other than "first by a mile". My guess would be that they would come in a mediocre third place and that even that unimpressive 3rd place rating would only be secured due to a significant level of bribery and collusion between DJI and the reviewer (who 6 months later would suddenly appear on the payroll of DJI's marketing division!)

LOL! Ok - perhaps the last sentence is a little too cynical - but I do feel sorry for anyone that believes that the DJI OEM batteries are the best simply because DJI has stated that they are!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl