Aftercrash drifting issues?

crashnburn said:
ok, by "spinning," should the motors spin freely like a (for lack of a better example) a mousewheel without friction or will i feel some resistance like as if i turned up the friction on a mousewheel so i can "feel the clicks"

I know when I first screw my props on, and the bolt bottoms out, the motor continues to spin another rotation to rotation-and-a-half, then stops rather suddenly. So there should be some resistance.

Do listen for grinding, though.
And if you start the props spinning on the pad (with no throttle applied), I can immediately see that my bad motor spins slower. The "blur" is not as bright.

ProfessorStein said:
Is it my imagination... or is it worse than before?

i think you're thinking of the guy in the other thread. He and I happened to open up two separate threads. This is my first vid. Sorry for the confusion and again, thank you for all your help past, present, and future.

It does appear to be drifting more than acceptable, but keep in mind wind really messes with the quad. Plus factor in weird turbulence caused by trees and other object in the path of wind.

Wind can easily move it 2 to 3 meters before adjustment is seen, especially if gains in assistant are lower (spongier response)

I took mine out tonight and initially it was worse than yours. It was making rapid adjustments as the wind was rolling over the orchard trees next to me.

Took it up a little higher, it was still twitching around but nothing like the initial hover by trees.

To give a fair test wait till calm and get it into a clear open space. Plus with all those taller trees around I'm curious of your satellite count.

Sounded like a swarm of bees. ;)
Fairly normal sounding. Did you verify the wing tips on all props were off the top of the p2 shell equally? Just checking to make sure arm, motor did not get bent out of level by crash.

Here is a good video of bad motor bearings compared to freshly replaced bearings.

DJI Phantom Motor Bearing Upgrade: http://youtu.be/rRVwbRZLoLQ

ok so, i think the motors are fine. here's a vid of todays drift. doesnt seem all that bad. its gets worse the lower to the ground it gets. that make any sense?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m66nMqJOyi8[/youtube]

btw, the thrust with those 9450's is definitley noticable

I'm glad to see your phantom is flying fairly normal. I have found that if I redo compass calibration sometimes it appears to tighten up hover. I have also seen if I hastily do a compass dance it loosens up, and if I take time doing very level and deliberate rotations it tightens up.

Just remember to wear tinfoil on your head if doing the compass dance because everyone is going to think your nuts anyways;)

On a side note you might need to adjust your gains with different pitch props for desired flight characteristics. Would it be safe to assume with higher pitch, cross winds might have more affect since more prop face is being struck? I assume flight times might have decreased a little bit?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj