Aftercrash drifting issues?

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Recently a friend of mine said to me, "man that thing must be really hard to fly." I was like hello no, its pretty easy, so i thought. So i handed him the controller and long story short, i was changing out props and removing broken prop guards. I checked everything out yesterday and seems to be fine other than i think im experiencing some drift. Is there something i should be looking in to as this is my first crash even tho my forum name would make one think otherwise :cool: . thanks in advance for any ideas.

You need to connect it to a computer running the assistant software and do the IMU calibration. Then, run the compass calibration and try again.

Geo

Full IMU calibration and then compass calibration in field after course lock and home lock have been set. Slamming is reserved for those times the IMU and compass calibrations don't work.

ok so
advance IMU calibration-check
compass calibration-check

still erratic but im wondering if it may have something to do with some props that are pretty chewed up. I have new ones coming this week. Should i wait to see what happens once they're installed?

thanks again
CnB

Quite possible, plus with the balance off you will have problems from vibration. After new props are on and you have confirmed they are all level as they turn based on height from tip to top of P2. Fly it for test.

If problem persists you may be forced to open up the quad to check on GPS for cracks etc.

Also can you describe "drift"? One direction then final hold? Circular? Any change in altitude?

Wait for new props before going into this much more. It might be something as simple as that.

I started experiencing something similar last night, I think... drifting, changes in altitude, and a bit of random vibration off and on.

I believe I traced it back to a motor that's going bad. Felt them after I brought my Phantom down and one was markedly warmer than the rest, and is not as easy to spin by hand.

Like Damon says, start with the new props and see if that clears it up. If not, you might have an in depth look at your motors as well.

Could be debris in the rotor, or it could just be age. The good news is taking a motor apart for a thorough cleaning is not hard, nor is replacing should it come down to that.

Hey Professor, I just bought a set of Boca ceramic hybrid bearings and and their lightning oil. As I also have one motor that is hotter than others. Hopefully I will see reduced friction, cooler temps and in theory more flight time...hopefully.

So you're using the new bearings in the standard motors??
That's something I hadn't thought of before. I was figuring just replace the whole motor. Definitely let us know how they work for you! I'd be very interested.

ProfessorStein said:
So you're using the new bearings in the standard motors??
That's something I hadn't thought of before. I was figuring just replace the whole motor. Definitely let us know how they work for you! I'd be very interested.
Yes, in standard motors that have about 70-80 flights. Probably smarter to get after market motors. But I'm not smart:)

real quick, if it comes down to me needing motors, are there aftermarket ones or upgraded ones better than original? Im an advocate of "if it aint broke, fix it until it is" lol

crashnburn said:
real quick, if it comes down to me needing motors, are there aftermarket ones or upgraded ones better than original? Im an advocate of "if it aint broke, fix it until it is" lol
Lots of discussions about t-motors or dji's professional tuned e300 sets. I'm not sure, since I have not travelled down that road...yet

crashnburn said:
and whats the best way to test for failing motors? ty
Turn by hand "spinning" checking for friction or any grinding. Listen to bird in flight for abnormal sounds. Make sure rpms in idle appear same. Check motor for excessive heat after flight.

Damon said:
crashnburn said:
Turn by hand "spinning" checking for friction or any grinding. Listen to bird in flight for abnormal sounds. Make sure rpms in idle appear same. Check motor for excessive heat after flight.

ok, by "spinning," should the motors spin freely like a (for lack of a better example) a mousewheel without friction or will i feel some resistance like as if i turned up the friction on a mousewheel so i can "feel the clicks"

sorry for the horrible examples

crashnburn said:
Damon said:
crashnburn said:

ok, by "spinning," should the motors spin freely like a (for lack of a better example) a mousewheel without friction or will i feel some resistance like as if i turned up the friction on a mousewheel so i can "feel the clicks"

sorry for the horrible examples
A little clicky is my "norm" even when it was brand new. If you give it a spin "freely" would be a couple times around before stopping.

I'll test mine when I get home for better details on about how many rotations, but best guess is over 1 less than 3 full rotations.

Just remember marijuana is legal where I live... JK

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub