Aerial Mapping

Reaction score
Rather new to photogrammetry and trying to create some basic ortho/topo/DEM etc projects that can be shared with others. So far I have tried a few demos - DD, Pix4D, Precision Hawk, a little of Arcgis, Qgis, Global Mapper Photoscan and DroneMapper. Having some success with each but really not completing my goals. There is a lot of great info out there and the forums are helpful along with all of the YT vids. Of course with the limitations of the 'packaged' trial plans, features of one kind or another are held back. Most other sw all seem to reference something else...export this, import that, convert this, download here...etc. Lately trying Global Mapper's Pixels to Points but with so many dialogs and options it's difficult to find a 'means to an end'. Photoscan's 'Workflow' is a great idea but for one example, their contour line labels are a cluster ----. Anyone know of some basic and thorough directions for this process?

I too have run through the gamut of photogrammetry services and programs. The one I find myself returning to most is MapsMadeEasy but I do a lot of small jobs (10 acres or less). They use a point system and anything under 250 points is free and no monthly subscriptions. Check them out here: MapsMadeEasy

Reactions: BigAl07
+1 on what ryantrax said about MapMadeEasy. Only thing I would add is that if you want to include contours, you will have to download GQIS (its free) and use that to develop the contours. The MME web site has an article on how to do it. Works pretty well.

Reactions: Javier Ruiz O
yes, as qgis is my preferred software to create contourlines manually, what is needed for a good survey.

I too have run through the gamut of photogrammetry services and programs. The one I find myself returning to most is MapsMadeEasy but I do a lot of small jobs (10 acres or less). They use a point system and anything under 250 points is free and no monthly subscriptions. Check them out here: MapsMadeEasy

Thanks. Tried MME yesterday. Map came out skewed. I had added GCPs as per instructions. Process seemed to go well. Kind of hard to get much precision with the low res of MapBox. I'll run it again without GCPs and see what happens. Had not used them previously as there was reference to iOS for their collection as I recall, I think it was Map Pilot. Realized since then you can use any collection method. Huge learning curve...

Thanks. Tried MME yesterday. Map came out skewed. I had added GCPs as per instructions. Process seemed to go well. Kind of hard to get much precision with the low res of MapBox. I'll run it again without GCPs and see what happens. Had not used them previously as there was reference to iOS for their collection as I recall, I think it was Map Pilot. Realized since then you can use any collection method. Huge learning curve...

If the number of files is not that high, we could possibly run a comparision. I am using photoscan pro. Send me the files using wetransfer and I will run the process and will send the map back. Just need the coordinates of the gcps and the map grid you use.

Martin

Reactions: BigAl07
+1 on what ryantrax said about MapMadeEasy. Only thing I would add is that if you want to include contours, you will have to download GQIS (its free) and use that to develop the contours. The MME web site has an article on how to do it. Works pretty well.

Yeah, it's been a few months since I experimented with Qgis. I'll revisit with the MME's workflow.
Thanks

Yeah, it's been a few months since I experimented with Qgis. I'll revisit with the MME's workflow.
Thanks

I also tried UgCS yesterday for collection. Intrigued by the the terrain following and consistant AGL. One short flight before dark. Pretty cool. Tried their quad emulator but got errors trying to upload plan. Complained about profile conflicts. Edited the quad emu's profile to match the P4P, note for note. No joy...

Yep, definitely a high learning curve in the mapping process. Following this forum has helped me a lot. But there is still a large amount of trial-and-error that you will need to do on your own to get comfortable with the results.

I have come to rely on Pix4D for processing. Its has taken a while, but I am comfortable with finding my way around the processing options and the results it produces. That's not to say that other processing engines aren't better, so I am always watching. Expense is a primary concern, and while not cheap, I have been able to generate enough business to be able to regularly purchase the monthly license. But I'll hold out on the yearly or perpetual license until I win the lottery.

I have generally been producing orthomosaics, which Pix4D does very well. But I am still struggling with a good option for producing accurate contours.

As for data collection apps, I recommend you try to get familiar with as many as you can. I have found that certain projects are perfect for one app, but not the others. Right now I bounce between Pix4D Capture and Litchi, but have also used MapPilot. And I should probably get familiar with UgCS. I don't think there is a perfect app for every project however.

Been using DroneDeploy. Sounds like I need to try this one out. I have a question for you; Can you collect the data using any flight app and simply upload the photos or do you have to use their flight app? Thanks!

You can use any fight app that captures the images required for for the project parameters.
As noted previously, different apps provide benefits in different situations.

Been using DroneDeploy. Sounds like I need to try this one out. I have a question for you; Can you collect the data using any flight app and simply upload the photos or do you have to use their flight app? Thanks!

Reactions: rvrrat14
You can use any fight app that captures the images required for for the project parameters.
As noted previously, different apps provide benefits in different situations.
Will try it. Flew a test flight for PhotoMap yesterday. Will send those pics and compare to DD. THANKS!

Correct as far as I can tell from experimenting with several different sites. Images just need to be georeferenced. Lat/long/alt

ArcGIS has all the tools you need but also has a steep learning curve. Can't be beat for professional work though. If you are committed to this long term you can get a free copy legally from ESRI by taking the University of California Davis GIS Fundamentals course through Coursera. First course gives great fundamental knowledge, but the second course focuses upon raster data including creation of Mosaics.

ArcGIS has all the tools you need but also has a steep learning curve. Can't be beat for professional work though. If you are committed to this long term you can get a free copy legally from ESRI by taking the University of California Davis GIS Fundamentals course through Coursera. First course gives great fundamental knowledge, but the second course focuses upon raster data including creation of Mosaics.

You can get a full desktop version of ArcGIS PRO by signing up for the GIS specialty program at COURSERA. The coursework leads to certificates from the University of California / Davis in their GIS Specialty. The cost for this is only 50 bucks per month, and that fee includes the free copy of ArcGIS PRO.

Reactions: RocketBrew
Hi all 1st post here. I am using P4 and no i haven't search through posts yet. Just wondering if any has used ArcGIS 10 to inport-export recorded data? I am proficient in GIS and GPS and dont see too many issues using import of data from UAV. I'd like to see how creating a flight plan in GIS and upload to the UAV would progress. With the various types of GPS (DGPS etc) out there, importation/ exporation of data is a complicated process!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.