Aerial Freaks Cyclops Vision Brushless Gimbal

I had my pitch inverted too by default but saw other people had their roll inverted so I changed mine. I have not been able to fly due to storms here so have no idea how the gimbal performs as of yet.

It seems like when I try it the Gimbal kind of goes crazy. So I think I'm going to leave it as is until I find out.

Thanks for the quick reply

Good morning,
Sorry I fell asleep last night. But it might've been a good thing because when I woke up and tried that again the gimbal seems to be operating fine. After my morning coffee I'm going it go out and give it a try. I'll let you know my results.

Thanks again

Well here's my results, it starts out working fine but then it starts vibrating side to side I can stop it with my finger so obviously one of my settings are right. Also when I tried the auto detect for the rotation both motors go to invert. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

To check right direction of motors you need to push AUTO button on the GUI software, when doing it try to hold your gimbal firmly, without movement, and with a clearance around camera (just hold your phantom horizontally, little bit over your table) after some movements of the camera, software will check or uncheck proper check box! After that just return number of poles to 14 (sometimes software can detect it like 12 or 13 or 15 does not matter just return it to 14 manually and don't forget to push save button after)

Have issue with Aerial Freaks Cyclops Vision Gimbal....need help. Connected gimbal and was excited to see the gimbal was doing a great job of stabilizing the camera. Then the problems showed up. I was getting the picture on my tablet through the camera but the tilt control was frozen and the up/down control icons would not do anything...no camera tilt at all. Then I noticed there was no information displayed from the battery, satellites, altitude, distance and the battery was showing 65% on a full charged battery. So I disconnected the gimbal camera wire and re-installed the original camera cable. Connected back to the P2V and now had all the above missing data displaying and the tilt icons in the DJI application were now moving up and down...camera had no servo to move it but the up/down app slider was now moving. I have made numerous re-checks to seat the cable in the gimbal board and the camera with no luck.

This is my 2nd Cyclops Gimbal and before I get my money back (if possible) I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas. If I could fix the issues I feel comfortable the video would be very stable. Any ideas/help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Flintstone said:
Have issue with Aerial Freaks Cyclops Vision Gimbal....need help. Connected gimbal and was excited to see the gimbal was doing a great job of stabilizing the camera. Then the problems showed up. I was getting the picture on my tablet through the camera but the tilt control was frozen and the up/down control icons would not do anything...no camera tilt at all. Then I noticed there was no information displayed from the battery, satellites, altitude, distance and the battery was showing 65% on a full charged battery. So I disconnected the gimbal camera wire and re-installed the original camera cable. Connected back to the P2V and now had all the above missing data displaying and the tilt icons in the DJI application were now moving up and down...camera had no servo to move it but the up/down app slider was now moving. I have made numerous re-checks to seat the cable in the gimbal board and the camera with no luck.

This is my 2nd Cyclops Gimbal and before I get my money back (if possible) I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas. If I could fix the issues I feel comfortable the video would be very stable. Any ideas/help would be appreciated.
Thanks

I have same symptoms. See from viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16300&start=260#p175268 on.

Also tested: In Phantom Vision assistant opened Gimbal tab, changed the Pitch center value from 0 to 200 or -200 and camera tilt changed accordinly. It means NAZA -> Gimbal signals work OK.

The slider in Vision app is showing camera pitch all up position. Trying to change the picth in app has no effect. Taking pictures work, but that's a function taking place all in camera. To my understanding "change pitch" command goes from app to WiFi in camera, to NAZA (via white round cable through the gimbal) and then NAZA commands (via blac flat cable) the gimbal. Apparently from camera to NAZA via gimbal connection does not work. As the cable from Phantom/NAZA works when connected directly to the camera, the fault must be in the cable from camera to gimbal, or the connector or the soldering on gimbal circuit board. Visually the cable connection on the circuit board does looks poor made.

Currently waiting dealer's reponse.

AnselA said:
Flintstone said:

Thanks

Also tested: In Phantom Vision assistant opened Gimbal tab, changed the Pitch center value from 0 to 200 or -200 and camera tilt changed accordinly. It means NAZA -> Gimbal signals work OK.

The slider in Vision app is showing camera pitch all up position. Trying to change the picth in app has no effect. Taking pictures work, but that's a function taking place all in camera. To my understanding "change pitch" command goes from app to WiFi in camera, to NAZA (via white round cable through the gimbal) and then NAZA commands (via blac flat cable) the gimbal. Apparently from camera to NAZA via gimbal connection does not work. As the cable from Phantom/NAZA works when connected directly to the camera, the fault must be in the cable from camera to gimbal, or the connector or the soldering on gimbal circuit board. Visually the cable connection on the circuit board does looks poor made.

Thank you very much for the information...I will check the center gimbal setting to see if the camera moves to the new position first. Then I will look closer at the camera cable connection on the gimbal board. On mine the little Copper wire that should be holding the camera cable tightly to the board is not around the outside of the cable. It has let the cable slip out a little. This should not have any effect on the signal if the connections (solder) are all good. I will check the plug to the board connections with an Ohm meter today to verify. My DJI application also shows the tilt position stuck at the top of the slider. I don't see as well close up anymore but does the 3.5mm plug look like it may be slightly smaller on the gimbal than the one coming out of the P2V?? If my continuity checks out with the meter I saw another post recommending cutting back some of the rubber wrap around the gimbal 3.5mm plug to see if I can push it in to the camera jack a little more to make better contact. Hate to do that because I don't want to ruin returning it. Since we are both having identical problems on 2 gimbals it indicates one failed design or fail point. Working on computers for 30 years when I saw multiple machines doing the same thing (problem) I knew it was a manufacturer defect. I am on second gimbal and really don't want to send it back (another $11.00) each time. If I can't find the problem I will see about getting money back. Thanks again.....if you find out any more please let me know.
Update: The 200/-200 in the Phantom settings did move the camera....like your test. Question: Are you also missing the data from the P2V...battery, satellites, altitude, distance in the DJI application?

Flintstone said:
AnselA said:
Flintstone said:

Thanks

Thank you very much for the information...I will check the center gimbal setting to see if the camera moves to the new position first. Then I will look closer at the camera cable connection on the gimbal board. On mine the little Copper wire that should be holding the camera cable tightly to the board is not around the outside of the cable. It has let the cable slip out a little. This should not have any effect on the signal if the connections (solder) are all good. I will check the plug to the board connections with an Ohm meter today to verify. My DJI application also shows the tilt position stuck at the top of the slider. I don't see as well close up anymore but does the 3.5mm plug look like it may be slightly smaller on the gimbal than the one coming out of the P2V?? If my continuity checks out with the meter I saw another post recommending cutting back some of the rubber wrap around the gimbal 3.5mm plug to see if I can push it in to the camera jack a little more to make better contact. Hate to do that because I don't want to ruin returning it. Since we are both having identical problems on 2 gimbals it indicates one failed design or fail point. Working on computers for 30 years when I saw multiple machines doing the same thing (problem) I knew it was a manufacturer defect. I am on second gimbal and really don't want to send it back (another $11.00) each time. If I can't find the problem I will see about getting money back. Thanks again.....if you find out any more please let me know.

Update: Using the 200/-200 does move the camera....like your test.

Before I go messing with settings can someone confirm to adjust the camera to go fully down in flight this is done in the Phantom Assist software. If so, can you share your settings?

We have similarities:

- the cable has slipped from copper wire loop, see picture
- will you measure the resistance from connector solder point on pc board to plug ring? I could do the same.
- the DJI plug is gold plated, Aerial Freaks one isn't. They have saved a few cents?
- I will not modify the gimbal any way, I suppose it would make warranty void.
- I have been working professionally with computers over 30 years, too ;)
- I was so concentrated to the pitch problem, didn't notice the display of other data

Where did you buy your gimbal? I bought from HeliDirect.

Does somebody know which signals are on which ring of the plug? +V, GND and CAN-BUS ???

Attachments

• Gimbal-board.jpg
    Gimbal-board.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 671
AnselA said:
We have similarities:

- will you measure the resistance from connector solder point on pc board to plug ring? I could do the same.
- the DJI plug is gold plated, Aerial Freaks one isn't. They have saved a few cents?
- I was so concentrated to the pitch problem, didn't notice the display of other data

Does somebody know which signals are on which ring of the plug? +V, GND and CAN-BUS ???
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...vcnBpeGllZ2ltYmFsc3xneDo1YjVhOTlmYzEwNDE4ZDk0

harpo1 said:
Before I go messing with settings can someone confirm to adjust the camera to go fully down in flight this is done in the Phantom Assist software. If so, can you share your settings?

I believe it is set in the SimpleBGC Software. Download the user manual. It is under RC Settings Tab. The instructions are on page 12.

AllanVB said:
AnselA said:
We have similarities:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...vcnBpeGllZ2ltYmFsc3xneDo1YjVhOTlmYzEwNDE4ZDk0

I bought mine at HeliDirect...they are not much help on suggestion. They said to email AerialFreaks for help. The schematic from MotorPixie is great. If you look at the miniature plug from the P2V and look at the one from the gimbal you will see the one on the gimbal has a larger metal ring next to the rubber than the one from the P2V. I am wondering if that keeps the plug from going all the way into the camera jack?? Really hate that this and the fact no flight information is displayed on my Android Tablet. My gimbal is rock solid but without the tilt and flight information I can only guess how long I have to fly. I can tilt the camera using the DJI software on my Mac using the pitch (center) position but you are stuck with that angle until you change it up or down. I am calling HeliDirect tomorrow to see about refund....one guy told me it might be store credit...that sucks. I have now had two gimbals and both are not working...should be a refund not credit. We will see what happens.

I have not been able to fly my P2Vision since getting my Cyclops Gimbal, however I have tested te tilt function on the bench and it works fine. Initially I got an "invalid battery" error which preyed out all controls but cleaning the contacts and putting the battey back in took away that message and I can definitely tilt the gimbal up and down

I found the reason why pitch control (and flight data display) cannot function properly. In my Cyclops unit
there's a short circuit in CAN-Bus, measured between CAN_H and CAN_L at the plug coming from SimpleBGC. Measured when SimpleBGC was unplugged from the camera and Phantom.

Flintstone, if you have the same failure, don't try to fly Phantom! It's unpredictable what can happen when the CAN bus is shorted?

---

Ref: http://www.esd-electronics-usa.com/CAN- ... Guide.html

<quote>

CAN-Bus Troubleshooting Guide

1.1 Termination

The termination is used to match impedance of a node to the impedance of the transmission line being used. When impedance is mismatched, the transmitted signal is not completely absorbed by the load and a portion is reflected back into the transmission line. If the source, transmission line and load impedance are equal these reflections are eliminated. This test measures the series resistance of the CAN data pair conductors and the attached terminating resistors.

To test it, please:

Turn off all power supplies of the attached CAN nodes.
Measure the DC resistance between CAN_H and CAN_L at the middle and ends of the network (1) (see figure above).

The measured value should be between 50 and 70 ohm.

The measured value should be nearly the same at each point of the network.

If the value is below 50 ohm, please make sure that:

there is no short circuit between CAN_H and CAN_L wiring
there are not more than two terminating resistors
the nodes do not have faulty transceivers.

</quote>

harpo1 said:

Thanks to some help from HeliDirect, I think I've succeeded in achieving a full 135 degree (45 up, 90 down or vertical) swing on the pitch. First - a couple of caveats. One - it works great on the bench with power applied (props removed), but I haven't been able to flight test. Two - I'm still new at this, so no guarantees! I'll also try to post my settings here in a bit. My modified SimpleBGC Settings are the same as most of the others published here, with a few adjustments - on the RC Settings Tab, I set Pitch Min Angle = -45 (upward angle) and Pitch Max Angle = +90 (lower angle). I did not change any of my settings in the App or in the Assist software. All other settings are the same as shipped "default" on my board (I received mine last week).

I saved my old SimpleBGC settings to a "profile", as well as the new settings (different profile name) in case I need to revert back.

More after I flight-test, hopefully later today.....

[later] Flight test successful (couple of minutes only)! Full travel as indicted above, stable video, winds 6-9 mph, works like a charm! Time, and a longer mission, will tell for sure. May consider increasing bottom to 100 to allow gimbal adjustment when changing motion from forward to reverse (got some gimbal chatter at the transition).

Attachments

• gimbal profile 070714.PNG
    gimbal profile 070714.PNG
    135.5 KB · Views: 576
AnselA said:
I found the reason why pitch control (and flight data display) cannot function properly. In my Cyclops unit
there's a short circuit in CAN-Bus, measured between CAN_H and CAN_L at the plug coming from SimpleBGC. Measured when SimpleBGC was unplugged from the camera and Phantom.

Flintstone, if you have the same failure, don't try to fly Phantom! It's unpredictable what can happen when the CAN bus is shorted?

---

Ref: http://www.esd-electronics-usa.com/CAN- ... Guide.html

<quote>

CAN-Bus Troubleshooting Guide

1.1 Termination

The termination is used to match impedance of a node to the impedance of the transmission line being used. When impedance is mismatched, the transmitted signal is not completely absorbed by the load and a portion is reflected back into the transmission line. If the source, transmission line and load impedance are equal these reflections are eliminated. This test measures the series resistance of the CAN data pair conductors and the attached terminating resistors.

To test it, please:

Turn off all power supplies of the attached CAN nodes.
Measure the DC resistance between CAN_H and CAN_L at the middle and ends of the network (1) (see figure above).

The measured value should be between 50 and 70 ohm.

The measured value should be nearly the same at each point of the network.

If the value is below 50 ohm, please make sure that:

there is no short circuit between CAN_H and CAN_L wiring
there are not more than two terminating resistors
the nodes do not have faulty transceivers.

</quote>
Thanks for the update....I figured there was a short. I was almost going to fly it today....storms came. What are you going to do....return it? I am going to return mine for store credit and pay the difference and get the P2V+. I am assuming there is no quick fix for the short??

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT