Aerial America

Reaction score
Does anyone else watch Aerial America on the Smithsonian channel? I was watching last night and noticed in one of the scenes, the shadow of the Phantom they were using while filming that particular scene. In addition, there is never a particular cut that is over 4 seconds long, however the scene may be 30 to 40 seconds, it's always cut into 3 or 4 second cuts. A good tip while filming is to not worry about getting a beautiful 30 second shot when in fact multiple angles in short intervals is the norm in most nature, tv, and aerial filming. Next time you watch tv, notice how quick one cut to the next is in a scene. Very rarely over 3 or 4 seconds. When cut right and with enough footage, I'm sure any drone pilot, Phantom or otherwise, can create beautiful aerial video.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I check into that show often. It's common practice to stick to 5 second cuts, generally. The other interesting thing to note is that not every shot is smooth as glass or has a perfectly straight horizon, and it doesn't take away from the shot. Warts and all, aerial views are an awesome way to see our world. Being overly precious about the shots isn't always needed to make a really great film.

I hate those videos that are edited into those short 5 second scenes. It is completely unnatural. Who views a scene by jerking there head back and forth and up and down. It is ludicrous to say this is good video technique.
A good video will stay on a scene long enough to allow one to study the details or pan slowly from one scene to another.
I cannot understand how one can enjoy those jerky edited videos!
Is someone just trying to impress us of their editing expertise or their cinematography?
Could you imagine standing at the edge of the grand canyon at sunset and having someone grab your head and shake it from side to side as you are trying to enjoy the view? Sure would irritate me!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: Brockrock
Does anyone else watch Aerial America on the Smithsonian channel? I was watching last night and noticed in one of the scenes, the shadow of the Phantom they were using while filming that particular scene. In addition, there is never a particular cut that is over 4 seconds long, however the scene may be 30 to 40 seconds, it's always cut into 3 or 4 second cuts. A good tip while filming is to not worry about getting a beautiful 30 second shot when in fact multiple angles in short intervals is the norm in most nature, tv, and aerial filming. Next time you watch tv, notice how quick one cut to the next is in a scene. Very rarely over 3 or 4 seconds. When cut right and with enough footage, I'm sure any drone pilot, Phantom or otherwise, can create beautiful aerial video.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I know this an old post. But, Aerial America has never used a drone for footage, never. They lease a helicopter and use a Cineflex Camera and 90lb gimbal. A very expensive set up. But that's what they do.

Five-second cuts, for the twenty-first century low attention span set.

Check out the differences in directing and editing between 1970s shows and today. Oh, the timing differences. It is wild!

PS, I'm quite certain that CBS' NCIS LA used a drone, not a whirley-bird, for their pull-out shot at the end of last night's show. Nice but I wish they didn't chop off the sky in the last second or two.

Reactions: AndrewCCM

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik