P4 Firmware Advisable to update or no?

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have a Phantom 4 Pro that I purchased in May 2017, and for several reasons I haven’t used it in probably a year and a half but I’d like to start using it again. My question revolves around firmware updates, and I assume with so much time going by that there will certainly be an update available when I power the drone up for the first time in so long. In short, should I perform the updates? I’m just wondering if there have been any issues with any updates or if over time DJI has made changes that limit the usage and/or performance of the Phantom 4 Pro. I’d hate to do an update that either causes issues or eliminates functions or performance that my “out of date” software may provide.

Thanks in advance for the assistance with this question.

I read lots of people saying, "Don't, if its working". I have done all the updates I'm prompted to do (P4Adv), and have had no problems of any kind....

Reactions: Cavepig7
I always upgrade. DJI is always including bug fixes that I would rather not find while flying.
. Never had any real problems. For those wanting to break rules, the updated fly safe database gets updated, and you may find new areas restricted.

As you say - no problems no update. I don't think that no update is ilegall.

I do all the updates, haven't had an issue, usually updates are FAA stuff like the last one extended the range out, and had a controller update, nothing real major,

I have updated all my dji drones without any issues. I can't see any reason not to...

Hello All,

I have a Phantom 4 Pro that I purchased in May 2017, and for several reasons I haven’t used it in probably a year and a half but I’d like to start using it again. My question revolves around firmware updates, and I assume with so much time going by that there will certainly be an update available when I power the drone up for the first time in so long. In short, should I perform the updates? I’m just wondering if there have been any issues with any updates or if over time DJI has made changes that limit the usage and/or performance of the Phantom 4 Pro. I’d hate to do an update that either causes issues or eliminates functions or performance that my “out of date” software may provide.

Thanks in advance for the assistance with this question.
I bought my P4P+ about the same time. I haven't done an update
since then on purpose. It still flies great.... Same with my Mavic Pro.
The features they had when I bought them are all I need.

Jerry

I came across a gold mine, on Ebay, a Phantom 3 Pro . I only wanted it for the gimbal and offered £300. The seller agreed but was apologetic when he said it hadn't been updated since he bought it in October 2015 with V1.4.0010

It flies perfectly, no interference from DJI, no Wi Fi interference because it is not continuously phoning up China to tell them where I am. Also it flies independently with Solomon Mobile's FPV. It does Intelligent flight modes, DJI cannot update it, To do that I would have to resort to the old system where you put the firmware on the video card and listen to it beeping for half an hour, then hope in didn't get bricked. No Way.
The only downside is I have to keep the Aircraft and Controller together as matched pair. For a machine that does exactly what is says on the tin I am sticking with this five year old firmware.

I also a fly both a Yuneec H520 and the best drone ever a Parrot Affini. Both of these not telling me what to do, not taking my data, no geo zones. I can set up my own geo zones for these two machines, and fly responsibly where the CAA here in the UK allows me to.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.