Advice on first non beginner mode flight

sgf

Reaction score
I got my P3s for Christmas. My first drone was much simpler and more basic. I don't need where to fly or not to fly advice. I want to fly over some wooded areas that border my property. Since it will be my first flight out of beginner mode I'd like recommendations on things to watch out for. Here is what I've already considered.

1. Compass calibration, just to be sure.
2. I will do my normal brief preflight. Maybe I should be more in depth out of beginner mode. I've read the manual and preflight threads and stuck with a basic check list.
3. I plan to do a visual vertical check to make sure I'll safely clear tree tops.
4. I'll keep it in sight.
5. I plant to use the return home feature I need to re-read the altitude section of the manual but I think 200 ft. is a safe max altitude, yes? Our terrain is very flat.

One thing that has been challenging for me is the sun. I tend to fly around 5 or 6 pm which may be my issue. The sun washes out the highest brightness setting on my Samsung S6 and makes it difficult to keep a visual on the copter. Lot's to still learn! Please fell free to offer recommendations. I admit to some apprehension.

sounds like you have a good plan. only thing i can add is be very aware of wind direction, and plan for much stronger winds aloft. if you loose a visual on the bird, it seems the preference is to toggle the s2 switch as compared to using the app as a few have accidentally hit auto land.

Take your time and stop periodically and observe the GPS holding the AC in one spot. Remember you can do this at any time to recompose yourself and get (re)oriented if necessary...or move if it gets in line with the sun for example. Stop while still 20' or more away from whatever you want not to run into....plan well ahead what you will do if you think you might get in trouble.

I need to re-read the altitude section of the manual but I think 200 ft. is a safe max altitude, yes?
A safe RTH altitude is the highest obstacle over top of the takeoff location plus about 50 feet to add a buffer since the altitude is estimated.

Prop guards,,
I bought prop guards right after I got the P3s. I bought the ones I did because two are white and two are red helping to ID direction, and they quick disconnect. I haven't installed them for two reasons. The first is that so many people talk negatively about prop guards. The other reason is because I have yet to buy a case. I want one that will allow the props to stay on and I am not sure what I'll end up with that will have room for them, on or off. Prop guards seem to be like firmware updates where there are two strong camps for and against. I am in neither at this point but my previous drone had them permanently affixed and I was never aware of any issues. They always seemed like a good idea to me until I read the "hung on a branch" stories. Have you had success with them? I still like the idea.

With people here professionally filming Norwegian Fjords and licensed professionals videoing major fires, etc. I feel a bit foolish talking about my first non-beginner mode flight, but here goes.

I admit I was nervous. After reading the run away stories on this forum, etc. and the cost of these copters I was apprehensive about my first time but you have to leave the nest at some point, and I did. I got out earlier today so as not to fight the sun. I should have flew earlier or later as the sun was still an issue but far less of one. I lost sight of the drone three times and had to reorient myself once and use RH twice. That was scary but I’ll say now that whoever invented the return home feature should get a medal…whew!

I flew over some wooded areas that border my property as well as over my place. I was afraid to go to low. I accepted the default non-beginner settings and they worked fine for me. I felt more comfortable with plenty of space between the P3s and the treetops. I definitely learned to appreciate the skill of those who fly looking at the ground via a smart phone real time video. My battery is set for 30% warning by default but I brought the P3 back three times during the flight to be on the safe side,

I am really impressed at what a good job that little camera does. Here is the initial
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

We all started we're you are sir,,,a few have been there done that,,,,looks good for first flight and video,,,prop guards are my training wheels,,I'll get through all the birds is capable of doing,,comfortable with the r/c ,,,that I don't have to think about it,,,I'll take em off,,,enjoy yourself,,but learn,,,,,,,,,

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.