Advice on different camera use.

Reaction score
Hi. I operate a tree trimming machine, mounted on a large 4wd tractor. It has 4 x 800mm circular blades and will cut tops of hedges upto 8m in height. The problem I have is being able to see the tops of the hedges when seated in the cab 6m below. I have used a reversing camera that is hard wired between camera and the monitor and this provides at least some indication of what I am trying to do. The image is not as good as I would like. I have thought that using a drone camera would likely improve the image that I receive. However I am not sure of all the bits that I would need to get this to work. Ideally I would prefer to mount the camera and gimbal on the boom where I have the reverse camera mounted. I use a hard wire application as I need 100% reliability when working around power wires.
If streaming is the only way to achieve this by drone camera, then what other gadgets are required to do this?
The monitor I use is 10" and is HDMI capable. I'm not sure of how the drone streams the data or is it the camera which does this and how this is received. I would prefer if this can be displayed on my monitor, so how can I achieve this? If someone can point me in the right direction or suggest how this all works, then that would be great.
Any help would be appreciated. Tom

Hi rstom
I agree with Kachemakdiver an Osmo three axis gimbal camera is the way to go, Flying a drone whilst operating your machine adds another level of complexity to your operation.
You can get 1/4" 20 adaptor to mount the Osmo Pocket to some part of your saws boom and wirelessly connect the Osmo to a monitor in your cab, that way you dont have to worry about the camera as you would with a drone. The Osmo pocket also records in 4 meg so you would have a record of what you have cut.

Hope this helps
Waylander

Hi Thanks for your replies.
To clarify, I was going to mount the Drone on the boom and just use the camera and streaming function. My next problem was how to get the camera information onto my monitor.
Your suggestion of the Osmo camera and gimbal is sound, but can you clarify what other gadgets that I need to send, then receive that data and then connect that to my monitor.
I still have the problem of connecting the streamed data to my monitor if I use the drone, instead of using my phone.
I hoped to use a Phantom 4 pro so I get the best picture quality, as this is what is holding back the image that I think I require.

Regards Tom

Hi rstom
What I don't know is what your monitor is..? or what communication functions it has, and whether or not you can load software on to it, ( essential ).

If you were starting from scratch you would need the following:-

When you view this link it will show you all of the other available kit including the "Wireless Communication Module", and various mounting solutions, which you will need.

Then you will need an Ipad, or equivalent android tablet that will be your monitor.

Hope this Helps
Waylander

You could try mounting a GoPro which has an adjustable field of view and using the Gopro's Wifi to view in the app on an iPad. I'm just not sure how all the metal will affect the Wifi signal. There might also be some lag. You'd have to test this. You'd need a GoPro 5 or higher for live streaming the video image. You can rent one pretty inexpensively from Lensrentals.com. You can even externally power it and come to think of it, there's a mini HDMI out of the camera which would enable you to watch the camera.

Does boom have enough surface space so that
entire drone can be mounted to it? Then all one
has to do is turn drone & monitor "on" without
attempting to fly. One would see wherever
camera is pointed, the limitation being that
camera only points ahead or down wrt drone body...?
And "on" time limit might be much much longer
than flying time limit...?

By using a drone there's no possibility for hardwiring the video signal.
Also gimbal control is restricted to 1 direction only: Up & Down from +30 to -90 degrees.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan