Advice for Flying

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My apologies in advance because I know this has already been answered numerous times.

How do you guys handle the gray area of where you are and are not allowed to fly? For instance, I was in Tahoe this weekend and drove out toward Emerald Bay. Multiple UAS apps, including B4UFLY, Hover, DJIGO and Airmap, all said that I was legally allowed to fly the drone there. However, the website for Tahoe Parks said I was not allowed to fly there, including a ranger that happened to drive by.

I guess my question is, who is right here? If all of these apps, including the FAA app, is telling me I am ok to fly somewhere, am I? I understand the best thing to do is to try and not piss people off (park rangers, locals, etc) because that puts a bad look on all of us. I'm not trying to fly around people, or bug anyone. I just want to know where I can fly without breaking any rules or risking any fines. When there's a gray area like this where you're being told you are right but at the same time you are wrong... who is in the right?

BTW- Here is a picture from the minute of flight time I got in last weekend... Thank you!
Screen Shot 2019-01-13 at 11.33.03 AM.png

the website for Tahoe Parks said I was not allowed to fly there
Pretty much all National and State parks such as this are NFZ's. That's the easiest way to remember. If they are not labelled as such, ask.

Thanks for the reply. Is there a reason the FAA app doesn’t have it listed as a no fly zone? Just seems like there should be a strict “yes or no you can’t fly here” app/advice.

IMG_8655.jpg

Is there a reason the FAA app doesn’t have it listed as a no fly zone? Just seems like there should be a strict “yes or no you can’t fly here”
There are too many variables between Federal and State laws ( As far as parks go ) Some are state regulated, others are obviously federal. They can't possibly cover them all in every circumstance. The FAA controls the Federal airspace, states may differ in regulations. Again as far as parks go.

Generally you can fly over areas that you cannot take off and land from such as national parks or some state parks. A neighbor might not let you take off from his place, but you could legally fly over it. It may not make for good relations. Same with the park.

Generally you can fly over areas that you cannot take off and land from such as national parks or some state parks. A neighbor might not let you take off from his place, but you could legally fly over it. It may not make for good relations. Same with the park.

That’s not how National parks work. They mean strict no fly zone. Period.
IMG_4480.jpg

It seems like outside of the NFZ’s in national parks which we know are a strict NFZ, that’s where my big question is. For instance, some parks in the city I live in will state no drones. But legally, it seems like you could fly over them, just not take off and land in them.

I don’t know, I do my best to always communicate with anyone I come in contact with and be respectful. Some people seem to care A LOT, while others just say have fun and be safe.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
There are too many variables between Federal and State laws ( As far as parks go ) Some are state regulated, others are obviously federal. They can't possibly cover them all in every circumstance. The FAA controls the Federal airspace, states may differ in regulations. Again as far as parks go.

Makes sense. I wonder why the other 3rd party apps like Airmap/Hover/UAV Coach don’t focus more on the state regulations since the FAA is federal. I mean, I know why, it’s a lot of work, ha.

Anyway, thanks for the advice guys. Safe flying.

That’s not how National parks work. They mean strict no fly zone. Period.View attachment 107406
Generally means not in every case. Lol
Your picture says, no photography. I would say that's why no drones where ever it is. Many people fly over national parks with no repercussions. Harper Ferry NP is one and New River Gorge is another.

Local laws are usually the best to follow. There is generally a lot of grey area in between gov and local laws, but as some on this forum have found, sometimes the government can be vague on what exactly is allowed, leading to local fines. If a local park says no, usually there is a statue further up the chain saying they are in the right. Best way to find out for sure is to call up the manager and ask.

All I can say is, firstly I research all i can find on local rules/laws/NFZ's which, Imo is due diligence, and then second, and in my common sense opinion, I always fly where I'm bothering no one (at least at time of take off) and if that changes during flight I take whatever steps are necessary to land safely, including asking a person who had walked up to me if I had their permission to land safely near them, which they gave me. Follow the rules as best as you can learn and don't be unsafe and no one will bother you.

California state parks were legal up until recently, the official stance has been that use of drones in the Park is at the discretion of the superintendent. However, recently most parks in the state have adopted complete bans. In many cases, the ban is not explicitly posted, in some cases it is. In either case, the general trend is “in case of doubt, ban all drones”. Sad really.

Yea it’s getting to the point where I can’t find a place that doesn’t have them banned. Sucks.

The area where I live is National Forest but it's not ALL a national park only certain parts. National Forest are. in most cases legal to fly but not parks.
You can take off from national forest and fly over the parks.

Yea it’s getting to the point where I can’t find a place that doesn’t have them banned. Sucks.

Unfortunately with Gatwick, and London, this has been the state of things. Best bet is trying a few local hobby clubs and finding where they usually fly, as most RC plane fields allow drones.

I'm not familiar with that area. If that's a national park, taking off and landing within national parks are prohibited by law. Technically, you can fly over the park(assuming that there are no other airspace restrictions in the area), having taken off from outside the park boundaries. But, you still might incur the ire of law enforcement, however misguided.

Likewise with state and local municipalities.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik