Advanced vs Professional

Seriously, a fan? For digital recording? Have you ever seen a 4k camera with a fan? Come on.
From the Inspire 1 FAQ:
Is it normal for the integrated camera fan to occasionally start and/or stop after turning on the Inspire 1?
This is completely normal. The cooling fan is built in to protect critical sensors, ensuring that normal temperatures are maintained and the camera can function properly. When the sensor temperature exceeds 30 ℃, the fan is automatically activated. The fan is turned off when the temperature drops below 20 ℃.

P3Pro fan is in the gimbal base.

...and you got a 'like' from me. It takes a lot to admit one is wrong and apologize as you have done. I like the cut of your cloth, Tcope.

Looks like only the pro will have the sdk, on other hand dji will add to the pilot app both waypoints and poi.

Let's heat this thread up! I'm about to upgrade my P2V+ to a P3. I believe I've waited enough. And even tough I think I'd be very pleased with P3A I still have doubts.

So what do you P3 owners think about this decision after all that product release rush and your impressions untill now? Would it be wise to go for an Advanced?

Let's heat this thread up! I'm about to upgrade my P2V+ to a P3. I believe I've waited enough. And even tough I think I'd be very pleased with P3A I still have doubts.

So what do you P3 owners think about this decision after all that product release rush and your impressions untill now? Would it be wise to go for an Advanced?

Unless you have the resources for editing 4k I would go P3A. The 4K and the charger is the only difference.

I thought about this too, and went with the Advanced, which arrived about a month ago. However, so far I have only flown it a few times as I have been playing with the p2v+3, sorting out the 2.4g wifi to my satisfaction. The only reason I even considered getting a p3 was the rectilinear lens - which has a much narrower 94 deg FOV, and almost no distortion, compared to the v+, for which a session in ps is needed for decent pics. However, the p2v+ is 140deg FOV, which also means that fisheyed video can be converted in Premier to give wide-angled video, which looks ok. Oh yes - the lightbridge totally outclasses the fpv from the p2v+. They are both nice to fly. The p2v+ tops out at 20km/hr in gps mode, with full stick, While the P3 easily does 50km/hr. But then I am someone who likes to fly even if I am not taking pics or video.

Thanks for your replies. Actually I was looking for more real-life impressions. On the paper 4K features of Professional look pretty good and I'm ready to shoot and edit 4K videos. I have a high-end MacBook Pro and I'm long time videographer/RC enthusiast. But I don't think it'd be practical to record 4K videos, store those giant files and process&upload them every time for hours. I don't believe it's worth to pay extra money. You know, IMHO.

So I just ordered a P3A online today. I'll just stick to 1080p@60fps for now. I don't think I'll regret it.

Reactions: dysan911
Thanks for your replies. Actually I was looking for more real-life impressions. On the paper 4K features of Professional look pretty good and I'm ready to shoot and edit 4K videos. I have a high-end MacBook Pro and I'm long time videographer/RC enthusiast. But I don't think it'd be practical to record 4K videos, store those giant files and process&upload them every time for hours. I don't believe it's worth to pay extra money. You know, IMHO.

So I just ordered a P3A online today. I'll just stick to 1080p@60fps for now. I don't think I'll regret it.

I, too, am a videographer & mac user, and, like you, I didn't want to store huge 4k files
1080p50 suits my various macs. 4k means having to subscribe to Premiere cc, which I am not keen on. Shooting on the p2v+ is bad enough, with the fisheye lens, but the p3A fixes all that, and I won't need to keep up ps cc to correct the stills. You will love the camera on the p3A. My normal cameras are nikon d800 & sony hdr1000.so I know how pics & videos should look. I don't need 4k, since most customers still want dvds. While I agree that converting down in format improves the quality (for the same reasons that reduction in photocopying does), doing It twice is just silly.

Last edited:
Reactions: dysan911
Unless you have the resources for editing 4k I would go P3A. The 4K and the charger is the only difference.
I agree with this. I had to buy a new computer and would do it again. I like having the capability wether I use it or not, but I normally do.

I recently had the same dilemma, in the end I bought a P3A and with the money I saved have an extra battery and a hard case which in my opinion is more valuable to me than a 4k camera.
so far very happy with my decision.
either way I am sure you will enjoy your new toy!:)

Reactions: Jan-Erik Ness
I went for the P3A and I don't miss the 4K support but am a bit annoyed that the SDK currently doesn't support the P3A (it does support the P3P) because it means POI, Follow Me and the other SDK features aren't available. Hopefully DJI update the SDK at some point as there doesn't seem to be any technical reason not to support the P3A.

I must say I own a multi-media company and have no deliverables in 4K. It's useless unless you hook up a P3P to a TV or maybe upload to YouTube. Plus it's a space hog on my RAID. I have owned 2 P3P's and now own a P3A. Waiting for my last PSP to come back from repair. I broke my gimbal yaw arm on my last job. That part is $599 alone cause you have to buy the whole 4K camera/gimbal unit. Stupid. I'll be selling it on Ebay and just keep my P3A. I'd get an Inspire 1, but seems like a ***** to control if you are all by yourself with no separate camera operator. The fact that the Inspire's camera rotates is great, but can seeing it being a flaw too if you are trying to steer it at the same time. Seems like it would be easier to become disoriented and crash it. Just my 2 cents.

Even though I primarily target 1080p, I like 4k because it gives me a lot more options in post. Especially digital zooming, cropping, warp stabilizer to really smooth out shots.

I think it's important to not that the 4K P3P file is highly compressed and a low grade codec with tons of compression artifacts compared to real professional video. In other words, it looks really crappy for 4K. Just another reason it ain't worth it.

I was also leaning towards the P3A but now the price is so close I may end up with the P3P. I know I wanted to start off with one extra battery so the sale for the P3P is $1079 with an extra battery. The P3A is not bundling an extra battery but is on sale for $799. The P3A will cost me $948 with extra battery. This makes a difference of only $131 to go with the P3P. Most likely will back the camera back to 1080p to save on file space.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1