Advanced vs Professional

I ordered the pro and have been debating the decision; this thread has not helped at all. I am thinking that I will be with my choice for the next three years before I can afford an upgrade so while 4k may not matter now, in 2 years it may be more common.

I ordered the pro and have been debating the decision; this thread has not helped at all. I am thinking that I will be with my choice for the next three years before I can afford an upgrade so while 4k may not matter now, in 2 years it may be more common.
You can always buy batteries but you won't be able to buy 4K. If you can spare the extra money, you can't go wrong.

I agree with you, I haven't ordered yet, I'll wait till they come out, but I will be get tithe P3P.

I personally don't think you will see much, if any difference in quality with 4k unless you are watching the video on a 100"+ screen so I went for the P3A and am happy with my decision. the money I have saved will go on an extra battery and probably a car charger, or if DJI release the backpack in the videos....probably one of those.... :)

There's obviously a market for both, the dealer I have ordered mine from has ordered twice as many Pro's than Advance so you will definitely be in the majority.

Reactions: dysan911
60p is a preferable frame rate for the aerial footage I'll be shooting. If the P3P shot 4k 60p, this would be a more difficult decision. Right now, everything I do is 1080p and I'm completely confident getting the P3A.

In a year or two, there will be a new drone (probably one shooting 4k 120p) and we'll know whether 4k has gotten any traction in the consumer market.

Aussie prices makes the decision easier.
At the current conversion rate @ 0.77
P3A $1000 USD = $1290 AUD
P3P $1300 USD = $1680 AUD

But after whatever BS taxes/duties, we end up paying below.
P3A $1550 AUD ($250 mark up)
P3P $1950 AUD ($270 mark up)

In retrospect, the 4K camera is $400 AUD premium. That's a lot of quid for a resolution that most PC's and TV's cannot handle yet.

The only advantage I can see in 4K is the ability to digitally zoom and crop to 1080p. Eg, flying near dangerous sites or places that may endanger the phantom or going stealth without distracting your subject.

I think the 4k camera is going to be another cash cow for DJI. I estimate it to be about $800 AUD.

A few might downgrade over time anyway, as if these cameras ribbons and gimbles are as fragile as the v plus, a little crash and a knock will cause us to need a new one. Now if mine breaks with just a little knock and I need to buy another I will prob not pay the extra again for the pro knowing it could easily happen again. Hell I have even got myself thinking about my choice after reading this thread.

Same situation as mako. $400extra Aus for 4k is a lot. $aus 150 more $2099 for 2 battery pro version. Arghhhhh. It's Only money!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something i never saw coming was the extras. At the moment both my main tvs downstairs are 720p and upstairs 1080p. At my time of order i only went for the pro because i just thought maybe in the future as a tv fails i might replace it with a 4k tv as prices of them come down. After a bbq at our friends yesterday and him showing me is new samsung 4k tv i was blown away, it was unreal and by that i really do mean unreal, as in if you were there it wound not look that clear in real life. Now i find myself today searching for a 4k tv bargain and realising that this p3 purchase is starting to get a little out of hand. After ordering the bird at first with no intention in filming in anything other than 720p, i am now finding myself looking at a new 4k tv, not to mention the new ipad mini 2 cellular i have all ready ordered to. On live launch night i was so pleased to see the price of the advanced being only £899 and so was my wife. Then i upped my decision to the pro, and then half an hour later dji went live with the extra battery option so upped it to that, then 5 days later i decided a ipad mini would be better than my iphone 6 so went for that and now the TV decision. MY wife has just asked me how this £899 purchase went to a £1239 purchase in less than hour, and then a £309 ipad and now a £999 TV. All in all this is now becoming a £2547 total spending which has spiralled way way out of control and my budget. So my advise is buy the advanced model and for gods sake don't look at a 4k tv if you have not all ready done so, as you to could find yourself totally skint and 2nd thinking all of your crazy decisions, and trust me i am as if this thing falls out the sky when i get it due to manufacture problems like dji have had in the past then i am left tits up with a new ipad and tv i didnt even need or want in the first place.

Have P2,3D gimbal, 10"HD monitor ( to help eyesight). What attracts me most is the HD video transmission (and price) because: With the 10" monitor as is now, I can see details as never before, but when I plug the gopro directly by hdmi to the monitor after a flight, the detail improves so much you never want to go back. You can now see power lines clearly as well as other potential hazards at great distances, which improves operational safety (it just looks so clear) But according to my son, both Pro and Advanced only transmit the video signal back down in 720p, still good enough for advantages listed above. If this is true then I would lean toward the cheaper option. But I know how great 4k looks on a big TV - stunning, so if video shot in 4k on this camera, will it show 4k resolution on the 4k tv? If so, there's one of your incentives, it would be stunning and the final viewing to me is the most critical, the fpv part would be great if 10" 4k monitors were available, but don't think it would add very much additional hazard sightings ( though would look great - 4k googles yet?). As my eyes get older, I'm already thinking of mounting my computer's 40" HD monitor to back of golf cart where the seat spins around once cart reached destination flying area, and operate drone from the shaded comfy seat, and can follow drone when and if terrain allows (may use drone to search for my ball that has never seen a fairway - and you thought drones were a expensive hobby) capg

Reactions: leekiya
Yes i see what your saying about the final 4k video. We have just finished watching the grandprix on sky hd which in the uk still only broadcasts in 720p. Now does the video i shoot week in week out in 720p on my phantom look any where near the quality of that from the 720p hd grandprix we have just watched. No not even anywhere close, and it wont because of the obvious reasons of skys recording equipment being probably just about the best there is out there at the moment. So while thinking this while watching it, and then you all so talking about it in your post i now find myself 2nd 3rd 4th thinking so many decisions i have made. LOL

If you have flown over 100 sorties on previous models, get the P3P.
If you have just started or signed up on this forum, get the P3A.
If you have a tonne of money, ignore this post.

I don't want to wish this upon anyone but I hope everyone flies with due diligence. Otherwise I predict a tonne of phantoms with damaged gimbals and millions more that are lost because they ran out fuel on the 3km RTH. In saying that, I really hope the DJI Simulator does not require the phantom to practice flying.

Since the aircraft are identical your flight experience shouldn't affect your choice.
If you feel you need 4K video go for the Pro, otherwise the Advanced is the same bird.

Reactions: dysan911
If you have a tonne of money, ignore this post.

I don't want to wish this upon anyone but I hope everyone flies with due diligence. Otherwise I predict a tonne of phantoms with damaged gimbals and millions more that are lost because they ran out fuel on the 3km RTH. In saying that, I really hope the DJI Simulator does not require the phantom to practice flying.

If you have just started, you need to be getting an X5C or the equivalent to learn how to fly first.

If you have just started, you need to be getting an X5C or the equivalent to learn how to fly first.
The X5 was my first quad. I still fly it all the time. What a great aircraft. So steady, even in wind and the range is incredible.

Yes i see what your saying about the final 4k video. We have just finished watching the grandprix on sky hd which in the uk still only broadcasts in 720p. Now does the video i shoot week in week out in 720p on my phantom look any where near the quality of that from the 720p hd grandprix we have just watched. No not even anywhere close, and it wont because of the obvious reasons of skys recording equipment being probably just about the best there is out there at the moment. So while thinking this while watching it, and then you all so talking about it in your post i now find myself 2nd 3rd 4th thinking so many decisions i have made. LOL

The lenses (glass) and sensor size used on the pro TV cameras are worthy more than a small pacific island. Don't mix 720p Gopro or quad camera with HD professional TV cameras.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl