Advanced vs Professional

Reaction score
I think I'd rather have an advance then the professional. 259 dollars extra for 4K camera that I'll probably never used because the files are so big they will eat up a 64 gb memory card. The one thing I will miss is the 100 watt charger I guess I will buy an extra battery with the money I save.

I think I'd rather have an advance then the professional. 259 dollars extra for 4K camera that I'll probably never used because the files are so big they will eat up a 64 gb memory card. The one thing I will miss is the 100 watt charger I guess I will buy an extra battery with the money I save.

I'll bet that after the market settles, you can buy the 100 watt chargers as cheaply as you can get the chargers for the Phantom 2.

Also remember that the charging current is maybe a little higher at the very first of the charging cycle for the 100 watt but after a short while the current tapers off to a point that both units will likely be doing the same amount of charging thereby making the actual charge time not all that different.

In fact, I will likely set my P3 up the same way as my P2V+. I made a little stand that holds 3 batteries and three chargers and don't have to wait so long or have all those wires everywhere.

I have been debating this topic myself today. I preordered the Advanced from Amazon, then I started second guessing the decision.

So I ran a little 4k test this afternoon with my Phantom 1.1.1. I have the Sony X1000V Action Cam (I believe it's using the same sensor as the Phantom 3 Pro). Well, the upshot is that 4k resolution is undeniably very nice.

But there are drawbacks.... All of my other cams are 1080p. Most of my material will eventually be delivered in 1080p anyway, so I would usually be downscaling 4k to 1080p. The downscaled output is, well, nothing special. Plus, I like recording 1080p 60p because it's easy to get smooth 24p slow motion from the files. As nice as 4k looks, it doesn't seem to be necessary or even practical for me.

After running my test, I decided to stick with the Advanced for now. In another year or so, we'll be looking at the Phantom 4 and can make this decision all over again. :)

Reactions: MrTommy
It seems the hardware is the same anyways. Someone will probably hack the software with the SDK to enable the 4K stuff anyways.

I read in another forum from someone that got a P3P to evaluate before the launch (he has video to prove it as he does testing for DJi) that there are hardware differences in the two cameras. They may look the same on the outside but he was pretty adamant that a software hack wouldn't be possible to enable 4K.

I read in another forum from someone that got a P3P to evaluate before the launch (he has video to prove it as he does testing for DJi) that there are hardware differences in the two cameras. They may look the same on the outside but he was pretty adamant that a software hack wouldn't be possible to enable 4K.

This is an interesting question. My 4k Sony X1000V camera is very similar to the 1080P AS200V model. In fact, the camera specs are almost identical. They appear to be using the same sensor. But one camera does 4k while the other does not. The 4k cam is a bit larger and heavier than the 1080P cam. I've heard there are heat issues involved with processing 4k footage - maybe the differences in camera hardware has to do with handling the heat.

1080p sensor might have better light sensitivity, unless 4K sensor is larger than 1/2.3 in advanced version.
I consider 4K a hype, big files, high end HW needed to edit, and uploading 1GB file to youtube is painfull ......1080p good enough

Reactions: Fourblade
An interesting thread - and it has answered a number of questions I was asking myself, the main one being: is the Professional worth the extra money? The short answer would appear to be no, particularly if you don't have the necessary equipment to enjoy the quality of 4k images at their full potential, which I don't.

As a consequence, I made up my mind and have just ordered the Advanced model. There were a number of other minor details that helped me to make up my mind, some of them found here, on this well informed site's blog, which is worth a read:

https://www.rcgeeks.co.uk/

One of the things I discovered there is that the Phantom 3's battery ( which isn't interchangeable) does apparently fit in some previous Phantom bodies but doesn't push all the way home. That being the case, the uninformed may still attempt to try it, but with potentially disastrous results.

I telephoned the company I have ordered from, just to confirm my order, and was told I was one of the first to pre order, so maybe the stampede to be an owner isn't developing as expected. They could give me no advice as to a delivery date so, having ordered, I now have to wait...and wait...

I'm no expert in hardware or software, but I don't think 4K is going to be the same as 1080 hardware lol.

An interesting thread - and it has answered a number of questions I was asking myself, the main one being: is the Professional worth the extra money? The short answer would appear to be no, particularly if you don't have the necessary equipment to enjoy the quality of 4k images at their full potential, which I don't.

As a consequence, I made up my mind and have just ordered the Advanced model. There were a number of other minor details that helped me to make up my mind, some of them found here, on this well informed site's blog, which is worth a read:

https://www.rcgeeks.co.uk/

One of the things I discovered there is that the Phantom 3's battery ( which isn't interchangeable) does apparently fit in some previous Phantom bodies but doesn't push all the way home. That being the case, the uninformed may still attempt to try it, but with potentially disastrous results.

I telephoned the company I have ordered from, just to confirm my order, and was told I was one of the first to pre order, so maybe the stampede to be an owner isn't developing as expected. They could give me no advice as to a delivery date so, having ordered, I now have to wait...and wait...

Yeah i read RC geeks and came to a different conclusion so bought the PROFESSIONAL because even though its £250.00 more 4k is just in a different class, i couldn't live without it and would have regretted buying the advanced after seeing everybody posting 4k footage so even though i didn't want to pay this much its still really a bargain compared to the inspire. Ho and i see you live in Scotland! those mountains would look awesome in 4k.

Reactions: Ady77
I was in the process of saving for the Phantom 2 when I saw that there was going to be a press release from Dji.....I'm glad I waited .. :0)..... now I have been wondering which way to go Pro or advanced. during my research I found this article which some might find interesting.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Did-...en-if-your-TV-does-not-support-it-yet_id61878

I will be interested to hear your thoughts on this as I am still undecided which way to go but would say i'm probably 80/20 in favor of the pro.

Reactions: Prostock85
I read that article and the comments below were just as interesting, with some guys suggesting that, basically, 1080 at 60 fps would look far superior than laggy 4k at 30 fps. As far as I am concerned, I didn't feel the difference between the two was worth the extra money. But that's just my opinion.

Either way, I can barely wait to get my new bird; the next few weeks are gonna be hell...

After further research im now thinking fps is probably more important than pixels for smooth video, particularly if you intend to slow any of the footage down. Also I think that unless I upgrade my PC the time converting 4k to 1080p will make it grind to a halt.

I remember researching TV's probably 5 years ago and everyone was like it has to be 1080p, even on smaller screen sizes. The fact is that under normal conditions on normal equipment under 42" you cant really tell the difference between 720P and 1080P. I managed to use logic and resist the 1080P hysteria then and probably need to apply the same logic this time.......... but the gold does look good... lol

I just read that the P3P comes with its own carrying case. If it is of good quality that might have tipped the scales in favor of P3P over the P3A as we all know a good case for the P2 is well north of a $100. For some reason DJI failed to list that as an extra goodie in the comparison on there site. Or maybe I missed it.

Ho and i see you live in Scotland! those mountains would look awesome in 4k.

The quality of light here in the Highlands can be phenomenal. I think it's fair to say I learned to operate and fly using my P2V but learned very quickly that, without a gimbal, if you were serious about photography, there were very strict limitations.

And you are right; I believe I have some of the best scenery in the world to play with here and can hardly wait to get my hands on my P3, even allowing for the fact that I have chosen to stick with 1080. It is certainly good enough for my limited skills.

I just read that the P3P comes with its own carrying case. If it is of good quality that might have tipped the scales in favor of P3P over the P3A as we all know a good case for the P2 is well north of a $100. For some reason DJI failed to list that as an extra goodie in the comparison on there site. Or maybe I missed it.
I have my doubts about the carrying case.

Case accessory from dji, this is great news please tell more and were to read about it ect ect.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic