Advance IMU Calibration

Reaction score
I entered into the advanced calibration and now is waiting the progress bar to finish, interestingly it will go over 80% and suddenly goes back to 10%, increase again, and goes back... does that mean it is still under calibration?

Will the progress bar goes when it is done? It has been working on it more than 20 minutes already.... My battery is running low now.... :eek: :eek:

Geert said:
I did Advanced IMU Calibration yesterday, it took about 5 or 6 minutes.
The progress bar will run several times.

Geert./.
So will the progress bar go when it finish?

I'd reboot and start again.
I've had similar problems in the past. Mine usually takes about 3-4 mins and yes the bar will disappear. The IMU calibration is the most clunky thing in the software. False heat warning bug, ready/start button greyed out, progress bar jumpy.

Double-D said:
I'd reboot and start again.
I've had similar problems in the past. Mine usually takes about 3-4 mins and yes the bar will disappear. The IMU calibration is the most clunky thing in the software. False heat warning bug, ready/start button greyed out, progress bar jumpy.
I have reboot it and restart it.. then the phantom will go into red Green yellow with the phantom app saying IMU need calibration, then I plug it in, and start the advance calibration again, it's now 15minutes and it's somehow stuck at around 95%...

silly question, my flat is quite small and I have a PC near phantom during calibration, of course I need it to start the calibration, but will these electronic affect the results and time it takes?

Possibly. I stretch my usb cable full length from the front usb port and make sure you are on a dead level surface. Also try turning the phantom around at different angles. Watch the calibration readings on the software as you do it, you may notice quite a difference.

Double-D said:
Possibly. I stretch my usb cable full length from the front usb port and make sure you are on a dead level surface. Also try turning the phantom around at different angles. Watch the calibration readings on the software as you do it, you may notice quite a difference.
It hasn't stop changing since I started calibrating it... I can't put it on the ground as it seems the reinforcement in slab will affect it, at least it will affect the compass calibration..... Whig should I do if it stuck for so long....

Using my younger party days effected memory I think I once took it outside, did the compass dance then tried the IMU calibration again.

It needs to sit perfectly still during calibration. Any movement or vibration will effect it.
The table it's on should be perfectly level and you want to avoid any small movements or vibrations. So don't touch the table and don't shake or vibrate anything.
I'm on the second floor so I even avoid walking around during calibration.

It's not doing anything with the compass during an advanced IMU calibration. It's only calibrating the accelerometers and gyroscopes. You don't need to worry about placement near metal, only worry about physical movement.

Also, look for a pop up message that may appear behind the assistant software. The pop up says something about the temperature being too high. While that message is there the calibration is paused. When you click OK it will proceed.

OK, I can't wait for it and stopped the calibration after half an hour, thinking to insert another battery as the one inside starts to go below 40%... i replace it, turn it on, no warning leds, then when i plug the usb in and fire up the assistant software, no error! It seems it has finished already... but don't know why the progress bar does not go... hopefully I won't get any surprise tomorrow :eek:

just to hijack my own post, just not to create another thread, can I ask if i switch to NAZA mode in the assistant software, which documentation should I look at? Is the NAZA mode in phantom 2+ behaves exactly same as the NAZA M device that DJI selling separately? i want to understand the leds in NAZA mode and what would happened, say if i am in home lock mode, and suddenly i lose my signal, will it trigger RTH function, etc...

I'm experiencing the same problem. The IMU advance calibration has been running for 20 minutes and whilst clearly doing 'something' it isn't finishing. No hidden pop-ups.

Tried a couple of reboots and restarts of Assistant but no difference

Any ideas?

What makes you think it's not finished? It's never taken more than 3 or 4 minutes for me.

"Advanced Cali" button is greyed out during calibration and the status shows 'calibrating'

When complete the button is normal and status shows 'ready'

I've seen the progress bar still half green when finished but I think that must be a software bug.
As long as the status is back to ready, it's done.

Attachments

• Capture8.JPG
    Capture8.JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 1,219
  • Capture9.JPG
    Capture9.JPG
    13.7 KB · Views: 1,027
chluk2425 said:
OK, I can't wait for it and stopped the calibration after half an hour, thinking to insert another battery as the one inside starts to go below 40%... i replace it, turn it on, no warning leds, then when i plug the usb in and fire up the assistant software, no error! It seems it has finished already... but don't know why the progress bar does not go... hopefully I won't get any surprise tomorrow :eek:

just to hijack my own post, just not to create another thread, can I ask if i switch to NAZA mode in the assistant software, which documentation should I look at? Is the NAZA mode in phantom 2+ behaves exactly same as the NAZA M device that DJI selling separately? i want to understand the leds in NAZA mode and what would happened, say if i am in home lock mode, and suddenly i lose my signal, will it trigger RTH function, etc...
One would think all is good. Are all the values where they should be?
Yes if in Naza mode the Naza M documentation is what you need.

Good luck and let us know how you go.

cahutch said:
What makes you think it's not finished? It's never taken more than 3 or 4 minutes for me.

"Advanced Cali" button is greyed out during calibration and the status shows 'calibrating'

When complete the button is normal and status shows 'ready'

I've seen the progress bar still half green when finished but I think that must be a software bug.
As long as the status is back to ready, it's done.
My advanced Cali was neither never greyed out nor the text read calibrating... that makes me don't know whether it has finished or not....

Anything to do with Phantom mode or NAZA mode? It seems me and him got the same problem under NAZA mode....

http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?t=17314

Double-D said:
chluk2425 said:

One would think all is good. Are all the values where they should be?
Yes if in Naza mode the Naza M documentation is what you need.

Good luck and let us know how you go.

I have just tried it outside, and it seems all good. The drone did not stay where i start but i think that's due to i have only 5 GPS (don't understand this, i am in a very very open area and still i am only getting 5...), occasionally when i get more than 5 GPS fix, it stabilize itself fairly good. so i guess it's a problem solve? I am now in Phantom mode, don't know whether it stays the same if i switch to NAZA now...

1 question, do i need to re-calibrate after switch to NAZA? i understand i shall revert everything to default after changing the mode, but the IMU itself is drone dependent isn't it? it shouldn't affect by the mode isn't it?

I was doing some CL and HL resetting test (failed btw http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=22675). I had her on without props for a good 15 minutes.
Everything is was good. Plugged her to the PC phantom assistance 3.06 and the IMU advanced calibration was required.
On 2 attempts it was taking more than 10 minutes and i just clicked ok about the MC heat issue... It kept failing and the green tick never appeared. Took the battery out and let her cooled for 20minutes. Plugged her back in and she did the advanced calibration in less than 2 minutes.

I think the heat warning is a real warning. Thinking back, the barometer reading can be affected by heat. Heat changes pressure, and pressure is how barometrics readings works.

IMO, i think you need to do advance calibration when the MC/Phantom is cooled.

Mako79 said:
I was doing some CL and HL resetting test (failed btw http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=22675). I had her on without props for a good 15 minutes.
Everything is was good. Plugged her to the PC phantom assistance 3.06 and the IMU advanced calibration was required.
On 2 attempts it was taking more than 10 minutes and i just clicked ok about the MC heat issue... It kept failing and the green tick never appeared. Took the battery out and let her cooled for 20minutes. Plugged her back in and she did the advanced calibration in less than 2 minutes.

I think the heat warning is a real warning. Thinking back, the barometer reading can be affected by heat. Heat changes pressure, and pressure is how barometrics readings works.

May I ask, are you in phantom or NAZA mode?

chluk2425 said:
Mako79 said:

NAZA-M. I use CL and HL so much that my S2 switch failed.

Just remember that the IMU calibration has no effect on GPS and compass. The IMU (inertia measuring unit) calibration only looks at the gyro and accellerometer. This is what keeps the phantom balanced and stable and assist in steer the craft and indirectly making sure the gimbal is levelled with the horizon.

Mako79 said:
chluk2425 said:
Mako79 said:

NAZA-M. I use CL and HL so much that my S2 switch failed.

Just remember that the IMU calibration has no effect on GPS and compass. The IMU (inertia measuring unit) calibration only looks at the gyro and accellerometer. This is what keeps the phantom balanced and stable and assist in steer the craft and indirectly making sure the gimbal is levelled with the horizon.

I finally have my drone successfully pass the IMU Advance Calibration... not sure why it works this time but not yesterday, only could think of I calibrate straight after i power it on so maybe it's really the heat issue....

may i ask, will the IMU help with the stability of the drone under ATTi mode? cause i have noticed some drift in today's morning flight, there was only 4 GPS, so I guess this would effectively be in ATTi mode; and when i get 6 GPS (suddenly i get more GPS when i am higher up, tough it's less than 4m), it becomes very stable. it seems the IMU will not help with the drone under ATTi.... am i correct?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.