Add Shutter Button to controler?

Reaction score
I did some looking around here and didn't find anything about doing this, so I apologize if this is a repost.

Just got my P3S, and love it. My 2nd drone, first with a camera. My only complaint so far, is that i would like a button on my controller, to trigger the shutter. I don't like having to take my hand of the controller to take a picture on my phone/iPad.

Ideally I would have a switch that would toggle between video/still pictures, and a button that would trigger the shutter in picture mode, and start/stop recording in video mode.

Has anyone done this? If so, can they point me in the right direction? I am not experienced in working on R/C stuff, but can follow clear directions.

Thanks in advance! If this is a repost, I did try to search first and came up empty!

I have wished for the same thing on the Standard. I know the "Pro" has this option on the TX.

I did some looking around here and didn't find anything about doing this, so I apologize if this is a repost.

Just got my P3S, and love it. My 2nd drone, first with a camera. My only complaint so far, is that i would like a button on my controller, to trigger the shutter. I don't like having to take my hand of the controller to take a picture on my phone/iPad.

Ideally I would have a switch that would toggle between video/still pictures, and a button that would trigger the shutter in picture mode, and start/stop recording in video mode.

Has anyone done this? If so, can they point me in the right direction? I am not experienced in working on R/C stuff, but can follow clear directions.

Thanks in advance! If this is a repost, I did try to search first and came up empty!

I'm not sure about the Standard, but on my Advanced, these buttons are just on the front of the controller, left side is the video and right side is the still camera. Enjoy your P3S.

Don't think we will have any luck, but I hope something can be hacked together to enable this

I'm not sure about the Standard, but on my Advanced, these buttons are just on the front of the controller, left side is the video and right side is the still camera. Enjoy your P3S.

The standard controller doesn't have the buttons. I know the Advance and Pro have them.

Looking around I see people have added extra toggles and stuff to controllers, so looking to see if there is anyone that has done this to a standard controller. I suppose many people who would mess around hacking into stuff probably just buy that advance.

Cracked open my controller this evening to see what it looked like inside. I don't see any obviously open pins to connect to. I suspect the pro and advance have a totally different board inside of the controller?

I've looked all around the forum for this exact MOD, but so far it seems like you're the first person to ask. I find that really hard to believe. Tonight I'm going to try plugging headphones into my iphone/pad to see if the volume button works as a camera button.

I've looked into this as well, but to have it integrated with the app to let it know when to record and the lack of an extra channel like on the phantom 1/2 makes it very difficult.

Ive been experimenting with a tip of a stylus that is spring loaded and attached to a metal piece that goes down near the top right of the remote. so when i push down on the metal piece with my right index finger, it pushes the stylus down on the record button. If i could make it look nice and perfect it, i would probably continuing using it, but at the moment, its just easier to push the record button by myself lol.

would it work to simply buy a remote shutter button like this: Amazon.com: Bastex Bluetooth Wireless Remote Control Camera Shutter Release Self Timer for iPhone 6 6Plus 5S 5C 5 4S 4, iPad Air Mini, Samsung Galaxy S5 S4 S3 Note Tab, Google Nexus, HTC, Sony and other iOS Android Phones: Cell Phones & Accessories

Stick it to the controller where you want it? Not sure if it would work with in the app, or only on the phone camera? For $6 it may be worth a shot....ordering it now. Will report back if it works.

would it work to simply buy a remote shutter button like this: Amazon.com: Bastex Bluetooth Wireless Remote Control Camera Shutter Release Self Timer for iPhone 6 6Plus 5S 5C 5 4S 4, iPad Air Mini, Samsung Galaxy S5 S4 S3 Note Tab, Google Nexus, HTC, Sony and other iOS Android Phones: Cell Phones & Accessories

Stick it to the controller where you want it? Not sure if it would work with in the app, or only on the phone camera? For $6 it may be worth a shot....ordering it now. Will report back if it works.

let me know if it works when you get it. im going to take apart a selfie stick with a shutter button/aux cable and see if itll work.

might have to use an app to get the aux button to click record for the DJI Go app.

Last edited:
I tried plugging in a set of head phones, which on a Apple engages the volume up button to operate the shutter... it didn't work. It treated it as a regular volume up input. I would imagine any selfie stick controls or remotes would yield the same results.

yeah i suspect it won't work. FOr $6 and free shipping i am willing to risk it. Will be here by the weekend.

my manual shutter button works pretty well so i could continue using that, just doesnt look nice aesthetically.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl