Active Track

Reaction score
I will be photographing some castles hanging off cliffs in the next week. After trying several intelligent flight modes I decided that active track appeared to be best. Even though my subject will be fixed. It appears that keeping it smoothly in the frame while I pan appears to be easiest.

I went out today to do some practice and had the following issues.

1. It was difficult to lock onto my building consistently. Half the time I got nothing but the focus box. Then other times I locked in perfectly. Can someone tell me the magic for locking onto my subject?
2. Sometimes while panning the speed would stahl. other times it would stop and I would have to exit active track to get it started again. Has anyone had this experience?
3. Is there a better app than Active Track to do what I want to do?

I look forward to your feedback.

Jim

That is Active Track. It just is not very good. I don't know if any app that does it better. I have Litchi but have not tried it's ability to stay focused on an object. At least not for years.

You are probably better off practicing the move manually.

That is Active Track. It just is not very good. I don't know if any app that does it better. I have Litchi but have not tried it's ability to stay focused on an object. At least not for years.

You are probably better off practicing the move manually.

Thanks

Thanks,

Active track, when it works, is exactly what I want. It is just these crazy anomalies I keep running into. Sometimes I think DJI has adopted the 80% solution is good enough. I hate that.

I'll be honest here and say you'll have the best, most organic, moves by doing it manually. The intelligent modes can be cool occasionally but I find a manual move to be much more visually pleasing because you can make slight changes to your framing during the move to keep the composition the way you want it. It's really not that hard to get proficient with a move like this and the good thing in this case is that your subject is perfectly still so you can repeat each move as many times as you need to get it right. Best of luck!

Thanks Jarrod,

I am beginning to agree with you. Repositioning is a problem among other anomalies. The 80% solution syndrom.

I will be photographing some castles hanging off cliffs in the next week.
I think you mean "capturing video" not photographing, correct?

I would recommend Litchie if you're picky about capturing super smooth moves and keeping the castle squarely in the frame. However, there is a learning curve to Litchie that can be a deterrent. Flying manually is the easiest and most reliable method for a fixed object like a castle. With a little practice you can keep the POI in the center of the screen as you fly by. Learn the virtues of "course lock", you may like that option, but there's a little learning curve for that too. Using Tap and fly has a "free" option also, letting you control the camera independently from the flight direction, allowing you to focus on keeping the castle in the frame as you fly by.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.