Accessing .DAT and other files for analysis.

Reaction score
My 80yo brain has the habit of forgetting things and this is one!

I have turned on drone and RC and connected my tablet and everything is ready to go.

I have connected my drone to my MBP via USB port on front of drone.
I have selected "enter flight data mode" in DJI-GO and it confirmed that I was in it but nothing appears on my computer??
Do I have to do something on the computer to "find" the drone? Normally when I plug in a USB device it just appears on my Desktop.

My 80yo brain has the habit of forgetting things and this is one!

I have turned on drone and RC and connected my tablet and everything is ready to go.

I have connected my drone to my MBP via USB port on front of drone.
I have selected "enter flight data mode" in DJI-GO and it confirmed that I was in it but nothing appears on my computer??
Do I have to do something on the computer to "find" the drone? Normally when I plug in a USB device it just appears on my Desktop.
Are you following these instructions? Note the special steps needed for a Mac.

Reactions: JoBe
Thanks Oso, I saw that from a Yahoo search but for some reason didn't action it. :rolleyes:
Now downloading the files to Desktop.
Think I'll take the dog for a walk while it does :p

Reactions: Oso
Very odd. I followed the instructions and a file appeared ion my Desktop labeled "Drone Files.dmg.
After about twenty minutes I got "operation completed" in the disk utility but when I open the file all I get is a copy of my Desktop? See screen shot.......

So where are the files from the drone

Screenshot 2019-09-06 at 16.04.12.jpg

I'll try again with a new battery......

I think I have found the issue.
In the tutorial they say "To do this, select the SD Card, then File>New Image>Image from Folder." I saw the "folder" and selected that instead pf the "DJI FLY LOG". Now it's copying that over, about 3.97Gb so will take a few minutes!

Do I need to keep the RC and tablet turned on during this procedure???

Do I need to keep the RC and tablet turned on during this procedure???
The instructions say, "the DateTime comes from the RC. If the battery is turned on while the RC is not powered up, the DateTime is set to the DateTime of the last .DAT. The result is two .DAT files with the same DateTime."

I take that to mean that technically the AC/Tablet does not need to be on but that it makes things much easier to have them on. Also, I am not 100% sure if the AC stays in flight data mode if the app disconnects, though again the wording of the instructions to me implies that it does stay in that mode. I've never tested it myself.

One thing to think about is keeping the gimbal top (main) board cool during the extended period of it being powered up during the download. I know you have a P3A which is less vulnerable to overheating damage than is the P3P, but if it were mine I would still play it safe and use some sort of external fan during the process. Perhaps a bit paranoid yes, but since it's so easy to do why not right?

Yes it is getting a tad warm, as is the VPS module! Haven't got a convenient fan so fingers crossed it doesn't burst into flames!!

Moved from living room to garage AND put a fan to use.........

DJI-GO keeps telling me my "height and distance has been limited to 80 and 30 meters respectively, do not fly outside these ranges"???

IMG_6490.jpg

Last edited:
Following these instructions posted by Oso I now have a folder on my desktop with all the ,DAT files in it :D

Now it seems I need a special programme to open them and, hopefully, view graphs of the various parameters :rolleyes:

Datcon for numerical results
Posted by Fly Dawg elsewhere "If you want graphical representations use this: CSV View " though we had been discussing a windows machine

Hey, I am CHUFFED! My old brain, and a whole lot of helps from some friends on here, has sorted it. Now I just need to learn how to read them which doesn't look too difficult once you have the graphs in front of you :p:cool:

Just a short, random, incident free flight the other day, graph showing motors and altitude.

Screenshot 2019-09-06 at 17.51.57.png

You cannot imagine how pleased I am that I've actually done this! Now for some practise on bigger files, longer flights :D

In the CSvView, where does one find the Roll, Pitch & Yaw parameters? I've opened all the options on the R/H column and none come up with them? Everything else is there so are they in a different file??

Screenshot 2019-09-07 at 08.47.07.jpg

Answered my own question, I was running an older version of the program. Now found latest 3.3.6 and there they are :p

Screenshot 2019-09-07 at 08.57.46.jpg

Am I right in thinking that the "Time" plot is in seconds?

I LOVE doing this, makes you realise how very erratic one's flying is :D

Screenshot 2019-09-07 at 09.46.49.jpg

Um, for some reason it isn't available since I went up the the lates version of View and I get an "Internal Error" message??

Screenshot 2019-09-07 at 15.24.06.jpg

This what it should look like with SigPlayers and Log Area occupied.

Screenshot 2019-09-07 at 16.32.05.jpg

Last edited:
I sent a report to [email protected] and they came back asking the same thing but I can't find the "CsvViewLog" anywhere in the folder?
However I seem to have resolved the problem.
I initially unzipped the downloaded file in the Download folder and then copied the CsvView 6.6.6.jar into another folder where I wanted to run it. I guess there were files in the Download folder that it needed to run.

I have now unzipped the downloaded file in the folder I wish to run it from and it works just fine!

Screenshot 2019-09-07 at 20.59.00.jpg

I must now learn what all thew different things do!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20