Abusive, Intimidating

Reaction score
The following happened to me today. Why? Because SJWs have too much time on their hands.

Email To Transport Canada,

On September 5, 2017, at 15:20, I was flying drone at the north end of ____ Street, in Ottawa (Orleans), near and around _____ Park. I was approached and confronted by the driver of this vehicle (photo attached, plate _______, Ontario) who informed me that I was flying my drone illegally by allowing it to go beyond line of sight and that he was representing "transport canada" and telling me what rules I was breaking. Unsure what he meant, I asked what authority he represented, he responded that he worked for and represented Transport Canada. During the time of approach, the drone was airborne (as well in sight), so, to remain undistracted while I was flying the drone, I calmly recommended that "if he has an issue", "please contact the Police or Transport Canada". He made several more unwarranted comments.

I was next approached by his female companion, who again reminded me that I was flying illegally, and told me that I was obviously spying on people including her and friend. I asked if she would give me distance since I was busy controlling a drone, she then asked me to give her distance and privacy. I explicitly asked her to move away so that I would not be distracted, she more or less repeated the same words back to me. She continued, swearing, accusing me of spying, as I was trying to move away from her. She also told me several times to "F--- OFF". She also had a few other choice things to say. She also repeated approach me as I tried to move away.

At no time while I was talking to these individuals, did I use profanity. I did however raise my voice after repeatedly asking her to leave me alone. She appeared to be video recording part of this encounter on her phone.

I suspect that Transport Canada does not operate in this manner.

I any case, I would like to report the driver of this vehicle and their companion for representing Transport Canada in a very intimidating, irresponsible and unprofessional manner. I did not get a photo of the individuals, because my main concern was to control the drone in a safe manner. By the time I landed the drone they had headed west on the recreation path on their bicycles which they had unpacked from their car before the confrontation.

Following this abusive encounter, I reported the incident to the _____ Police (_____ Station) at approximately 16:00, within 30 minutes of the incident. The Police may be able to identify these individuals from the car and plates.

I feel intimidated, abused, and remain disturbed and distracted by this encounter by a purported Transport Canada employee. I have safely logged over 120 hours and over 480 flights on drones and have never had an incident or complaint. My purpose for flying drones is to take photos and videos of landscapes so that others can enjoy the unique perspective that a drone can provide.

If this individual does work for Transport Canada, I would like to lodge a complaint based on the content presented here. If he does not work for Transport, nor represents the enforcement of air regulations, I would like to report both of these individuals for impersonating a Transport Canada Officer and the unwarranted abuse, and distraction of a UAV pilot to the point where there could have been a concern for the safety of persons and property.

Signed

Some people! JSMH

I don't think she work for transport Canada. The way she approached you is not where near the quality of an employee. If she it's in fact an employee, they need to fired her. That's not the way to talk to people, specially from a public servant. In the other hand, keep doing your stuff man, if you do this hobby in a safe place where is legal, you have all the right to do it. Don't let stupid people stop something you enjoy doing.

I agree that Transport does not work in this manner. The real downside is 'how much' and 'how long' this incident bothers me. It was a very abusive encounter, but I have been told by others who work with the police and transport, not to expect either of them to do any investigation and just forget about it. The girl in this case was trying to bait me into an aggressive response by being in my face and acting like a bully while her male friend pulled back and watched her act. I don't think this was the first time they have done this sort of thing. I want to push this further, but been advised from people close to me not to bother. I will have to just wait it out a bit to see if the police or Transport do actually take any action.

Let it take its course. You did the appropriate thing IMO.

At 'our' age you have to move on from these non-physical encounters.

This entitlement behavior is the result of Participation Trophies and the like.

You're on-record with this so just let it simmer and don't be phased.

Let it take its course. You did the appropriate thing IMO.

At 'our' age you have to move on from these non-physical encounters.

This entitlement behavior is the result of Participation Trophies and the like.

You're on-record with this so just let it simmer and don't be phased.

Thanks N017RW. This is basically what everyone else is suggesting.

Should have asked to see their credentials, and maybe photographed them with your cellphone. If they were really with the trans. they could have cited you which they didn't and maybe suspect for B.S.

If you have a camera, or drone, you'll no doubt have these encounters at some point. I've had my share along with two cops in my living room over an RC incident for a magazine. Local pro told me "You aren't a pro until you had an encounter" and he's gotten his share of tickets for sundry things related to his commercial photography. He just brushes it off as cost of doing business. Stuff happens.

Reactions: Rudder Bug
Dude, don't sweat it man. I have had peeps come up to me. I ask to see their credentials, because I carry mine, and when they can't I inform them they be breaking federal laws by distracting me during flight. I also ask them politely to wait for the drone to be landed to discuss things with me.

At that point, I indefinitely hover and stare at them. LOL

Reactions: Rudder Bug
Sounds like an [EXPLETIVE REMOVED] whipping was warranted, or if they were bigger or you were out numbered you need to carry a tazer to zap these individuals, after word gets out nobody would approach you anymore[emoji23][emoji23]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JoeG729
Dude, don't sweat it man. I have had peeps come up to me. I ask to see their credentials, because I carry mine, and when they can't I inform them they be breaking federal laws by distracting me during flight. I also ask them politely to wait for the drone to be landed to discuss things with me.

At that point, I indefinitely hover and stare at them. LOL

I was very polite, although I did not offer coffee or tea. Didn't seem to make any difference to these two, I was a target and they were on the attack. I did warn them that they were interfering with the operation, and asked for space (many times), to which the women told me to FO and parroted my words back to me, and continued the attack. I was stuck, could not let the RC or AC get out of control, no where to escape, hands tied up with the RC. Taking a body guard from now on. Was thinking a body cam may be a good idea too. My credentials were in my car, but that would have made no difference to these two. They saw a target, and went in for the attack.

Reactions: Javier Ruiz O
I suspect Canadian law is not that much different than our laws here in the USA in this respect; impersonating a public service officer is a VERY serious crime, good for a number of months, even years in some cases, in the "Graybar Hotel":

Or, if these folks are actually public service employees, their people will treat this at the very least, as an administrative matter - public service employees do not go running around "acting under color of authority" without severe punishment.

GO GET EM !

The following happened to me today. Why? Because SJWs have too much time on their hands.

Email To Transport Canada,

On September 5, 2017, at 15:20, I was flying drone at the north end of ____ Street, in Ottawa (Orleans), near and around _____ Park. I was approached and confronted by the driver of this vehicle (photo attached, plate _______, Ontario) who informed me that I was flying my drone illegally by allowing it to go beyond line of sight and that he was representing "transport canada" and telling me what rules I was breaking. Unsure what he meant, I asked what authority he represented, he responded that he worked for and represented Transport Canada. During the time of approach, the drone was airborne (as well in sight), so, to remain undistracted while I was flying the drone, I calmly recommended that "if he has an issue", "please contact the Police or Transport Canada". He made several more unwarranted comments.

I was next approached by his female companion, who again reminded me that I was flying illegally, and told me that I was obviously spying on people including her and friend. I asked if she would give me distance since I was busy controlling a drone, she then asked me to give her distance and privacy. I explicitly asked her to move away so that I would not be distracted, she more or less repeated the same words back to me. She continued, swearing, accusing me of spying, as I was trying to move away from her. She also told me several times to "F--- OFF". She also had a few other choice things to say. She also repeated approach me as I tried to move away.

At no time while I was talking to these individuals, did I use profanity. I did however raise my voice after repeatedly asking her to leave me alone. She appeared to be video recording part of this encounter on her phone.

I suspect that Transport Canada does not operate in this manner.

I any case, I would like to report the driver of this vehicle and their companion for representing Transport Canada in a very intimidating, irresponsible and unprofessional manner. I did not get a photo of the individuals, because my main concern was to control the drone in a safe manner. By the time I landed the drone they had headed west on the recreation path on their bicycles which they had unpacked from their car before the confrontation.

Following this abusive encounter, I reported the incident to the _____ Police (_____ Station) at approximately 16:00, within 30 minutes of the incident. The Police may be able to identify these individuals from the car and plates.

I feel intimidated, abused, and remain disturbed and distracted by this encounter by a purported Transport Canada employee. I have safely logged over 120 hours and over 480 flights on drones and have never had an incident or complaint. My purpose for flying drones is to take photos and videos of landscapes so that others can enjoy the unique perspective that a drone can provide.

If this individual does work for Transport Canada, I would like to lodge a complaint based on the content presented here. If he does not work for Transport, nor represents the enforcement of air regulations, I would like to report both of these individuals for impersonating a Transport Canada Officer and the unwarranted abuse, and distraction of a UAV pilot to the point where there could have been a concern for the safety of persons and property.

Signed

Who are you, KGB, MI7, HLS, or____?

I suspect Canadian law is not that much different than our laws here in the USA in this respect; impersonating a public service officer is a VERY serious crime, good for a number of months, even years in some cases, in the "Graybar Hotel":

Or, if these folks are actually public service employees, their people will treat this at the very least, as an administrative matter - public service employees do not go running around "acting under color of authority" without severe punishment.

GO GET EM !

In Canada a person can get up to 5 years for impersonation, although the thing is, someone has to enforce the law. I have no evidence that this happening in this case.

I am in the US but if they failed to properly identify themselves then I would have insisted.

After all, they must be important people for you to go through so much trouble to spy on them. :) Probably they were planning something illegal and did not want you to see. What is really funny is the fact that there are stationary cameras EVERYWHERE anymore. People dont even think about it. I was sitting in an intersection in my car and the guy next to me became impatient and took off through the red light. There are cameras pasted all over the signals of this particular intersection along with red light cameras. I am sure if I was watching him with a quadcopter he would have been incensed. I am sure he will be reminded of these cameras via mail in the near future. :)

If you know what you're doing there's nothing to worry about. I'm in the USA and multiple times people have done similar things to me. The funniest is when they try to inform me of laws that don't exist. I recently had two neighbors talking to me while I was flying. One said it's illegal to fly near a school and the other backed her up. I was polite and didn't escalate the situation, but I knew the laws and ordinances and I was nowhere near a school at the time.
I just let her say her piece and said if that is a law then I want to know about it so I don't get in trouble. I double checked and of course there was no such law. No harm done. Just the normal double standard of being a drone pilot. People think it's okay to harass and accuse us of wrongdoing.

Just caught up to this thread - a few comments.

I lived in Canada for 5 years during the 1980s and dealt with Transport Canada many times, most recently about 4 years ago. They operate very similar to the FAA when they ramp inspect people or aircraft. If these people REALLY worked for Transport Canada they should have shown you an ID and conducted themselves professionally, politely asking you to cease operations and discuss the situation they just witnessed. If there were local ordinances broken they would have called the local police or showed up with them.

For those reading this in the US - if you were approached by a person or persons claiming to be with the FAA, ask for their ID. Most of the time if an operations or maintenance inspector approaches you they will have their ID in plain site (usually wearing a lanyard). They cannot arrest you or even threaten you without due process, especially if you hold a Part 107 Certificate. There was recent legislation passed guaranteeing due process rights to airmen, and yes, if you hold a 107 Certificate YOU ARE AN AIRMAN.

Pilot's Bill of Rights

J5255, I hope Transport Canada investigates this as I would assume it is illegal for anyone to falsely claim they work for Transport Canada. Be vigilant and good luck to you.

I couldn't agree more with the above posts. I have been punching holes thru clouds both here in my USA, and when visiting the charming country and people of Canada...let's see...almost sixty years now. With the exception of ONE U.S. Customs Inspector ( who finally started acting professionally when I started giving him our "Miranda" warning, explaining unless he started to act like an adult I would use my aircraft's radio to declare an emergency and request U.S. Marshalls to transport him....! )....I have found public service folks of both countries to be sincere, professional people.

There is no question that BULLIES can wind up in government service; they should and are dealt with harshly. BULLIES not in govt. service should be dealt with even more so; I personally believe it my duty as a citizen of a civilized country to make it a newsworthy event when BULLIES try their crap on me.

That being said, we as drone operators have to give the general public a bit of understanding and patience. As I noted in earlier posts,. all one has to do is think how the general public reacted towards the first automobiles. Anything new, different, or out of the ordinary can be terrifying to the average mammal - causing them to malfunction in some way.

Be patient....time, the law and technology are on our side.

Just caught up to this thread - a few comments.

I lived in Canada for 5 years during the 1980s and dealt with Transport Canada many times, most recently about 4 years ago. They operate very similar to the FAA when they ramp inspect people or aircraft. If these people REALLY worked for Transport Canada they should have shown you an ID and conducted themselves professionally, politely asking you to cease operations and discuss the situation they just witnessed. If there were local ordinances broken they would have called the local police or showed up with them.

For those reading this in the US - if you were approached by a person or persons claiming to be with the FAA, ask for their ID. Most of the time if an operations or maintenance inspector approaches you they will have their ID in plain site (usually wearing a lanyard). They cannot arrest you or even threaten you without due process, especially if you hold a Part 107 Certificate. There was recent legislation passed guaranteeing due process rights to airmen, and yes, if you hold a 107 Certificate YOU ARE AN AIRMAN.

Pilot's Bill of Rights

J5255, I hope Transport Canada investigates this as I would assume it is illegal for anyone to falsely claim they work for Transport Canada. Be vigilant and good luck to you.

Thanks FLYBOYJ. I hope some justice comes from this incident, but again, a lesson learned either way. I am flying with the Transport Exemption Certification, which by the way was in my car during the incident, along with my cell phone. I am getting a lot of support from the forum which is helping to restore my confidence. Thanks to everyone.

Thanks FLYBOYJ. I hope some justice comes from this incident, but again, a lesson learned either way. I am flying with the Transport Exemption Certification, which by the way was in my car during the incident, along with my cell phone. I am getting a lot of support from the forum which is helping to restore my confidence. Thanks to everyone.
My Pleasure -

Most of my flying these days is for Dronebase or contracted paid gigs under Part 107. I wear a bright orange "DRONE PILOT" vest and put small cones out around my LZ. I carry my drone pilot's certificate, drone registration, drone maintenance log book and if available, a copy of any publication regarding drone operations in the town or city I am flying in.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing