Abusive, Intimidating

This is happening, on occasion, to many of us. I printed up a sheet that explains who I am, my credentials including my FAA license, and excerpts from FEDERAL laws that interfering with a pilot in flight is a Felony. It ends with my company contact information, and my lawyer's office information. Works like a charm, to shut up someone who just wants to be a pest. If they have a true concern about a legal matter, they will leave and contact your company and/or your lawyer. Hope this helps.

The following happened to me today. Why? Because SJWs have too much time on their hands.

Email To Transport Canada,

On September 5, 2017, at 15:20, I was flying drone at the north end of ____ Street, in Ottawa (Orleans), near and around _____ Park. I was approached and confronted by the driver of this vehicle (photo attached, plate _______, Ontario) who informed me that I was flying my drone illegally by allowing it to go beyond line of sight and that he was representing "transport canada" and telling me what rules I was breaking. Unsure what he meant, I asked what authority he represented, he responded that he worked for and represented Transport Canada. During the time of approach, the drone was airborne (as well in sight), so, to remain undistracted while I was flying the drone, I calmly recommended that "if he has an issue", "please contact the Police or Transport Canada". He made several more unwarranted comments.

I was next approached by his female companion, who again reminded me that I was flying illegally, and told me that I was obviously spying on people including her and friend. I asked if she would give me distance since I was busy controlling a drone, she then asked me to give her distance and privacy. I explicitly asked her to move away so that I would not be distracted, she more or less repeated the same words back to me. She continued, swearing, accusing me of spying, as I was trying to move away from her. She also told me several times to "F--- OFF". She also had a few other choice things to say. She also repeated approach me as I tried to move away.

At no time while I was talking to these individuals, did I use profanity. I did however raise my voice after repeatedly asking her to leave me alone. She appeared to be video recording part of this encounter on her phone.

I suspect that Transport Canada does not operate in this manner.

I any case, I would like to report the driver of this vehicle and their companion for representing Transport Canada in a very intimidating, irresponsible and unprofessional manner. I did not get a photo of the individuals, because my main concern was to control the drone in a safe manner. By the time I landed the drone they had headed west on the recreation path on their bicycles which they had unpacked from their car before the confrontation.

Following this abusive encounter, I reported the incident to the _____ Police (_____ Station) at approximately 16:00, within 30 minutes of the incident. The Police may be able to identify these individuals from the car and plates.

I feel intimidated, abused, and remain disturbed and distracted by this encounter by a purported Transport Canada employee. I have safely logged over 120 hours and over 480 flights on drones and have never had an incident or complaint. My purpose for flying drones is to take photos and videos of landscapes so that others can enjoy the unique perspective that a drone can provide.

If this individual does work for Transport Canada, I would like to lodge a complaint based on the content presented here. If he does not work for Transport, nor represents the enforcement of air regulations, I would like to report both of these individuals for impersonating a Transport Canada Officer and the unwarranted abuse, and distraction of a UAV pilot to the point where there could have been a concern for the safety of persons and property.

Signed
So far I've been lucky. The most aggressive thing ever happened to me was someone called Security at the retirement community where I live and sometimes fly around in and reported "Some kind of UFO looking for a place to land." Most of the old-timers here just stop and look up, like, "What the hell is that?" and go about their business. Others seem curious and somewhat entertained by the strange little airplane flying around.

I don't blame you for being upset. I too would have asked for their credentials or driver's licenses and then taken their pictures with your phone. I would also have asked them for the name of their immediate superior. Having done that, I'd call it a day with regards to further flying at that location.

Finally, I would follow-up like you did to report the incident.

BTW, just how far do you fly and still consider you have VLOS?

I don't blame you for being upset. I too would have asked for their credentials or driver's licenses and then taken their pictures with your phone. I would also have asked them for the name of their immediate superior. Having done that, I'd call it a day with regards to further flying at that location.

Finally, I would follow-up like you did to report the incident.

BTW, just how far do you fly and still consider you have VLOS?

The law defines 500 meters as the max distance for VLOS, although actual visual tracking of the drone depends on the lighting/weather conditions. On this particular flight the AC was at most, 360 meters from Home, and contrasted well against the sky conditions, so I could see it. The AC was also within VLOS at all times and never behind trees or other obstacles.

Reactions: Russ43Phantom
When they start the type of BS about laws etc., I just whip out my badge & ID's. Usually all I see are people scurrying back to their dens of mediocrity. Of course most drone operators aren't police commanders. Most people are just inquisitive.

Reactions: Pharm and dayviduk
I couldn't agree more with the above posts. I have been punching holes thru clouds both here in my USA, and when visiting the charming country and people of Canada...let's see...almost sixty years now. With the exception of ONE U.S. Customs Inspector ( who finally started acting professionally when I started giving him our "Miranda" warning, explaining unless he started to act like an adult I would use my aircraft's radio to declare an emergency and request U.S. Marshalls to transport him....! )....I have found public service folks of both countries to be sincere, professional people.

There is no question that BULLIES can wind up in government service; they should and are dealt with harshly. BULLIES not in govt. service should be dealt with even more so; I personally believe it my duty as a citizen of a civilized country to make it a newsworthy event when BULLIES try their crap on me.

That being said, we as drone operators have to give the general public a bit of understanding and patience. As I noted in earlier posts,. all one has to do is think how the general public reacted towards the first automobiles. Anything new, different, or out of the ordinary can be terrifying to the average mammal - causing them to malfunction in some way.

Be patient....time, the law and technology are on our side.
Excellent observation about "anything new, different, or out of the ordinary." Just watch YouTube videos about cats or dogs and quadcopters.

When they start the type of BS about laws etc., I just whip out my badge & ID's. Usually all I see are people scurrying back to their dens of mediocrity. Of course most drone operators aren't police commanders. Most people are just inquisitive.

Interestingly enough, I've been approached by police several times while flying. Every one of them was interested in it, wanted to see how it worked, and a few gave me their personal email addresses so I could give them the URLs of my videos. Every time, I'm braced for an "encounter," and so far, evert time it's been very pleasant.

Sigh.

Reactions: macoman
As of tomorrow, it will have 3 weeks since I reported this incident to the police and Transport Canada and I have had not been contacted by either. The Minister of Transport has been very efficient in disseminating his negative feelings about drones to the public, yet, seems to care less less when drone operators are abused in his Department's name. Question is, "Where do we stand?". Because we fly drones are we now outcasts that can be abused at anytime although we acting safely and responsibly? To some, the silence from the police and Transport over this incident would appear to be an endorsement for the pubic to abuse drone operators and not have to worry about the authorities taking action against them. How far can this go? Do I now have to worry about my physical safety?

As of tomorrow, it will have 3 weeks since I reported this incident to the police and Transport Canada and I have had not been contacted by either. The Minister of Transport has been very efficient in disseminating his negative feelings about drones to the public, yet, seems to care less less when drone operators are abused in his Department's name. Question is, "Where do we stand?". Because we fly drones are we now outcasts that can be abused at anytime although we acting safely and responsibly? To some, the silence from the police and Transport over this incident would appear to be an endorsement for the pubic to abuse drone operators and not have to worry about the authorities taking action against them. How far can this go? Do I now have to worry about my physical safety?
Get the safety vest... Works for me. When I wear the vest, no one bothers me. They think probably that I work for the government :)
Safety Vest Site: Safety vests for FAA registered and/or licensed/certified Part 107 and Part 333 drone (UAV, UAS, sUAS, unmanned aircraft) pilots

Maybe your expectations are a bit too lofty. It's your word against another's and there was no battery or physical component just 'words'.

To extrapolate this silence so far as an endorsement of abuse is definitely out of line. Your objectivity is waiting.

You may never hear anything but you have learned something.

Reactions: J5255
Maybe your expectations are a bit too lofty. It's your word against another's and there was no battery or physical component just 'words'.

To extrapolate this silence so far as an endorsement of abuse is definitely out of line. Your objectivity is waiting.

You may never hear anything but you have learned something.
Good analysis.

...... Question is, "Where do we stand?". Because we fly drones are we now outcasts that can be abused.........YOU GOT THAT RIGHT.....!

How far can this go? Do I now have to worry about my physical safety?
=======================================

You dont seem to have a good grasp of how narrow-minded, vindictive, and opposed-to-change much of humanity is. Are you forgetting what happened to the first automobilists ? When they werent being pelted with rocks and rotten vegetables....they were let alone PROVIDED they hired a man to walk ahead of them with a lantern.....

I have had this happen several times, like people approaching me and telling me that I'm spying on people!
Since I fly with FPV screen and video through a gopro Hero3+ on a wide angle setting with dji iOSD, I just make them look at the screen and tell me if they can make out any people from up there!
At the height that I fly to get landscape shots, people are barely visible and looking like ants. That usually seems to 'calm' them down!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31