About to defect from Vision to Phantom 2

tawd77 said:
The spironets I just purchased have nothing identifying rx from tx.

They work either way around as they are both four lobe versions.... I think :)

tawd77 said:
The spironets I just purchased have nothing identifying rx from tx. I figured they were fine in either position. How do I tell which one goes where?

I have been told by Quadcopters UK who I do trust, that the latest antenna's are identical and are 4 lobe, therefore it makes no difference which you put where. The older type were different, one had 3 and the other 4 lobes.

To be honest I think the test I filmed was quite hard on the equipment. Remember when the antenna on the quad is facing away from you in flight then it may no longer have line of sight with the receiver, then the picture will be distorted. I deliberately flew away with the antenna on the wrong side as I was worried about losing everything from my display when I went out of range. In reality I need not have been so worried as I could always have hit home lock and brought it back blind. It was only my second flight with the Phantom 2 so I was a bit chicken to be honest.

@Shrimpfarmer, I notice you are using a Futaba tx, does that mean that the P2 in your setup still has all the functions of the NAZA-M mode in the PV2 - in particular Course/Home lock ? If it does maybe you could find the optimum orientation of the P2 for the best signal and fly it in course lock mode - i.e. keeping the best side facing you (obviously you might lose signal when panning).

pault said:
does that mean that the P2 in your setup still has all the functions of the NAZA-M mode in the PV2 - in particular Course/Home lock ?

If you replace the stock Tx /Rx with a Futaba you still retain all the original functionality.

do not forget to fit float's down there/ I have mostly the same set up as you but built it all myself as it was cheaper and put bit's where I wanted, I have not bothered with all the other bit as in the mini osd and the rest, for all the tech stuff I use the Flame Wheel 550 with a WooKong and blue tooth link to laptop or iPad that way I can do way point's and watch on either screen's, Not much in the way of flying as the wind's and rain are to bad.

The thread is pretty well developed but I'm late to the party!

I returned my Vision and went out and purchased a GoPro 3+Black. Now just waiting to order the P2/Zen combo. As a photographer, I not crazy about the GoPro but it's certainly better than the vision camera (IMHO) and the post processing tools along with all the possible settings in the GoPro make it an easy choice between the two.

I would like a bigger platform and better camera (S800/GH3) but I cannot see the return on that investment at this time. What's holding me back from ordering the P2 is all the stuff I read on this forum of problems such as flyaways..that being my biggest concern.

I will, of course, have to add a FPV setup so the ante goes up!

CaptainChet said:
What's holding me back from ordering the P2 is all the stuff I read on this forum of problems such as flyaways..that being my biggest concern.

I will, of course, have to add a FPV setup so the ante goes up!

With the huge number of quads now in use I think the flyaway reports are very few indeed. Subtract from them the flyways that are not really flyways but user crashes and I reckon they are quite rare. The biggest thing to be aware of with a P2 and Gopro is making sure the Gopro wifi is OFF.

The next important thing to do is have your Phantom in NAZA Mode so that ATTITUDE mode is available to you at a flick of a switch. That knocks off the GPS and often returns control to you should problems occur. Also activate IOC mode in the assistant which then allows you to use HOMELOCK at the flick of another switch to bring the quad back to you regardless of which way its facing when it gets too far away.

Last but not least accept that the hobby has risks, follow your pre-flight checks and practice the emergency recovery procedure and your not going to go far wrong.

Buy your P2 and enjoy the amazing footage you can get with that setup.

You can control the camaera angle/ gimbal directly from the transmitter on the P2, there is a switch on the back. I love my GoPro3 and Zenmuse H3-2D set-up, crazy smooth video, you can see some on youtube, just search for "dji phantom maroon bells", the image quaility is amazing, I've been using the GoPro3 set at 1080 and 60 FPS but heard that it might be better at with the gimbal at 1440 and 30 FPS I'll keep you posted.

Which GoPro is most recommended? I've read that the 3+ BE has sharpness issues with distance shots. Is the 3 BE the way to go?

Fernandinared said:
Which GoPro is most recommended? I've read that the 3+ BE has sharpness issues with distance shots. Is the 3 BE the way to go?

The 3 Black Edition + is the best Gopro you can get at the moment. If you get a sharp focus one its just brilliant. Mine seems to be ok and the latest ones don't seem to have this problem now. The general advice is to buy from someone who will exchange and who also has a high volume turn over so you don't get lumbered with an older model.

There is a physical hack you can do to fix it yourself but I can't recommend that at all. Gopro are exchanging the camera for anyone finding themselves with a soft focus. I think all you have to do is send them some photos and explain what your not happy with. Its then exchanged.

Other people are recommending older Gopro models because of this problem. As a result they are now in short supply and selling at inflated prices. You pays your money and takes your choice.

Good luck in your search :D

I have a newer Black and it works fine. I have an older Silver (which I use a lot) and it is fine, too.

Not read through the full postings but you may like to know that Buzzflyer are selling the internal battery for the Black Pearl which is much neater than strapping on a Lipo...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Mav456 said:
Shrimp, have you solved your range and interference issues yet? In your video, you seem to be getting clobbered with it.

No. Others are reporting the same limitations. There is another thread on this now.

philipfretwell said:
Not read through the full postings but you may like to know that Buzzflyer are selling the internal battery for the Black Pearl which is much neater than strapping on a Lipo...

Just checked and they are out of stock, typical!

2trickpony said:
philipfretwell said:

Just checked and they are out of stock, typical!

I think the switch has become something of an avalanche. Maybe this explains why they are about to offer the free battery again on the Phantom Vision. They need to shift the stock.

Well, I just took the plunge myself. My P2V had something wrong with the camera where it would quit after about 5' and would not work again until I turned it off for a few minutes. Sure sounded like an overheating problem since the light sometimes also showed the red/green that the manual says means overheating. Funny thing is it's still relatively cool here in California. Tried to email and call DJI with 0% replies or signs of life. I heard this before on this site. DJI makes interesting products but their customer support is non-existent.

Anyway, I returned it (thank the stars I ordered it on Amazon with a good return policy) and started to order my new unit: P2+H3-2D Gimbal+Gopro Hero3+ Black+IOSD Mark 2+BTU bluetooth. I will get a FPV transmitter today or over the weekend once I complete selection. Except for the pic and video trigger feature, I think this way is more fun and allows more hobbying....Count me as another P2V to P2 convert....

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4