About to defect from Vision to Phantom 2

neil64 said:
Actually, you are mostly right, but UV filters do make a positive difference sometimes, even with a GoPro sensor. Judging from your avatar pic, you look like a DSLR guy, so you most likely already know this.

As mentioned, UV light isn't as big of a deal with most digital sensors we use now, but it still makes a difference most of the time, even though it's subtle (especially on a GoPro). With a UV filter, that lake shot would have probably been a little more properly exposed (even if just from the extra 1/2 stop of light or so getting filtered) and the trees and sky wouldn't have been so blown out. In that particular shot, there is also a good chance you would have seen some more blue in the sky with a UV filter. A UV filter is really only any good if you know how/why it works and know what you're doing with it. It will knock out some of the intense UV light in your images, such as bright leaves in sunlight, or a pond surface, or haze from UV light bouncing off particles in the sky, giving you more vibrant colors instead of being washed out in UV light.

Firstly, just to clarify, "I'm not a DSLR guy", I shoot with everything from a DSLR to a smartphone. If you'd like to know more about my credentials, you'll find them here, http://www.peter-evans-photographer.com/about.html

Secondly, it doesn't matter, because whether you're shooting with a DSLR, compact, phone, or GoPro, it makes no difference. A UV filter will do none of the things you've described. You're getting mixed up with some of the attributes of a polarising filter and you're perpetuating a myth. If you don't want to believe me, do some proper research and take on board the advice of some fellow professionals (like looking here for example http://www.thephoblographer.com/2013/01/11/uv-filters-do-they-degrade-image-quality/

Oh well its arrived.

Interesting to see how things have changed from my Vision to the P2. They have now plastered the thing with Buy from DJI.com. Also they have included a set of business cards for you to give out to people.

Attachments

• IMG_2371.jpg
    IMG_2371.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 408
  • IMG_2375.jpg
    IMG_2375.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 392
  • IMG_2384.jpg
    IMG_2384.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 489
Peter Evans said:
Shrimpfarmer said:
Oh well its arrived.

Wow, that looks great! Can't wait to hear how it goes out in the field.

Can I ask what the total cost was?

£1,045 You can get all the bits quite a bit cheaper. I paid for Quadcopters in the UK to install everything for me. The reason I did that is I don't have the expertise, also if anything is not working properly they built it not me which should simplify any warranty claims.

Shrimpfarmer said:
£1,045 You can get all the bits quite a bit cheaper. I paid for Quadcopters in the UK to install everything for me. The reason I did that is I don't have the expertise, also if anything is not working properly they built it not me which should simplify any warranty claims.

Then, presumably, you have to add the gimbal and camera on top of that? I feel a bit more comfortable now about spending twice what I told my wife it would cost for me to expand into aerial photography. She worries about every penny whereas I don't - so we make a good team :)

I fully understand your comment regarding installation by the experts. I know a hell of a lot about photography but I am completely 'nul' when it comes to quadcopters and all the relevant gear (it's a steep learning curve!). For that very reason I'm currently talking to DronExpert.nl about them supplying me with one of their RX100 FPV mounts with a DJI iOSD mini already fitted, tested and working out of the box.

Peter Evans said:
Shrimpfarmer said:

Then, presumably, you have to add the gimbal and camera on top of that? I feel a bit more comfortable now about spending twice what I told my wife it would cost for me to expand into aerial photography. She worries about every penny whereas I don't - so we make a good team :)

I fully understand your comment regarding installation by the experts. I know a hell of a lot about photography but I am completely 'nul' when it comes to quadcopters and all the relevant gear (it's a steep learning curve!). For that very reason I'm currently talking to DronExpert.nl about them supplying me with one of their RX100 FPV mounts with a DJI iOSD mini already fitted, tested and working out of the box.

That price includes the gimbal, the FPV system and the Iosd all fitted. I think its a wise move to get them to do all the work thus making it a turn key solution. No middlemen other than your dealer.

Shrimpfarmer said:
Oh well its arrived.

Interesting to see how things have changed from my Vision to the P2. They have now plastered the thing with Buy from DJI.com. Also they have included a set of business cards for you to give out to people.

Congrats on the new arrival - looking forward to seeing some new production work and feedback

Shrimpfarmer said:
That price includes the gimbal, the FPV system and the Iosd all fitted. I think its a wise move to get them to do all the work thus making it a turn key solution. No middlemen other than your dealer.

Yes, sorry. I just looked at your photos again and saw the Zenmuse box! Duh!

OK, I feel a little less good now :)

Seriously though, my chosen solution is the only one for me. From all the research I've been doing, I'm pretty sure that, for my requirements, I'm going to get results which will be not far off what I could get if I spent 3x to 5x more.

Peter Evans said:
OK, I feel a little less good now :)

Seriously though, my chosen solution is the only one for me. From all the research I've been doing, I'm pretty sure that, for my requirements, I'm going to get results which will be not far off what I could get if I spent 3x to 5x more.

Thanks EMC

Peter

Your rig will be in a totally different league with that camera and gimbal. That's going to cost, especially as they appear the only people offering the solution. How close are you to closing the deal?

Shrimpfarmer said:
Your rig will be in a totally different league with that camera and gimbal. That's going to cost, especially as they appear the only people offering the solution. How close are you to closing the deal?

Very close.

I posted back the P2V to the French dealer (Studiosport.fr) yesterday. I couldn't do it Monday as we were cut off by floods here. Just think of the shots I could have got, goddammit!!

Anyway, studiosport won't commit to the deal until they've received my P2V and confirmed that it and its packaging is, quote, "as new". And, apart from some minor prop scratches,it is. If the French postal service is as good as it usually is, then it'll be delivered to them tomorrow.

The plan is then for Studiosport to send me a Phantom 2 plus the DronExpert mount. I'll then send that mount immediately to DronExpert in Holland and they'll swap it for another mount with the iOSD-mini already fitted. so, if all goes well, I should be up and running within a couple of weeks, maximum.

Total cost, including the Sony RX100 (which is on its way to me from Amazon as we speak) will be 2,000 euros

re: Shrimpy's new toy.

Wooooo Hoooo! Looks sweet.

re: UV filters

Thanks for the inputs. I am an old SLR film guy and haven't kept up with the digital stuff. I am familiar with polarizing filters (from a different life) so I have a new quest.

re: Shrimpy's new toy

Wooooo Hooooo! ..... ooops... said that once... That thing should be a dream. You gotta take some ground photos (not just from the mounted GoPro) to show us the thing in use.

Peter Evans said:
Firstly, just to clarify, "I'm not a DSLR guy", I shoot with everything from a DSLR to a smartphone. If you'd like to know more about my credentials, you'll find them here, http://www.peter-evans-photographer.com/about.html

Secondly, it doesn't matter, because whether you're shooting with a DSLR, compact, phone, or GoPro, it makes no difference. A UV filter will do none of the things you've described. You're getting mixed up with some of the attributes of a polarising filter and you're perpetuating a myth. If you don't want to believe me, do some proper research and take on board the advice of some fellow professionals (like looking here for example http://www.thephoblographer.com/2013/01/11/uv-filters-do-they-degrade-image-quality/

Hmm, I meant "DSLR guy" as a good thing, meaning you probably know what you are talking about VS most of these "photographers" nowadays. Hopefully you haven't taken that as an insult? If so, my apologizes for using such vague wording. I am also a professional photographer, so I also am quite experienced with various filters and I'm not referring to a polarizer (although I see everything I said about a UV filter could apply to a polarizer as well).

By the way Peter, I do quite like many of your photos, so keep up the good work. I was going to try to tell you my favorite, but I can't make a decision. The effects I have mentioned about UV filters are extremely subtle (and only in extreme UV light) and in most cases, the loss of quality in the image VS the amount of UV blocking is completely not worth it. However UV filters can help if the situation calls for it (but only barely and only if you really are having a UV problem). Certain sensors are just the slightest bit more sensitive to UV spectrum, and I haven't done much testing with my GoPro Hero3 Black, but I can see noticeable, but near insignificant differences in tests with my Canon 5D Mark III. I only guess that the GoPro is a little more UV sensitive. As mentioned though, it wouldn't be very worthwhile wasting time on a UV filter for the GoPro (or much else for that matter) unless you are doing it just to stop down the light barely (like a very low neutral density filter) and even in that case, you should just get an ND filter. In 99.9% of cases, the reason people use a UV filter is only for lens protection (like Peter said). However, having a polarizing filter (not UV) and using it on the GoPro correctly can get you some really cool shots that you couldn't get otherwise.

All those lovely boxes, it must feel like Christmas all over again !
I think the price is reasonable, about what I paid for the pV2 as I had to buy a new phone but of course that was with a camera. If I could turn the clock back that is what I would have got initially.

Peter, you say that Drone expert are fitting an iOSD, does this mean you will have telemetry on the monitor to show battery status and satellites in view/locked.

pault said:
Peter, you say that Drone expert are fitting an iOSD, does this mean you will have telemetry on the monitor to show battery status and satellites in view/locked.

Yep! :D

You can see exactly what it gives you at 5:56 on this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MztIht-yh1M

Peter Evans said:
pault said:

Yep! :D

You can see exactly what it gives you at 5:56 on this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MztIht-yh1M

All the drawbacks are disappearing, one by one - just the price left now :)

neil64 said:
Hmm, I meant "DSLR guy" as a good thing, meaning you probably know what you are talking about VS most of these "photographers" nowadays. Hopefully you haven't taken that as an insult? If so, my apologizes for using such vague wording. I am also a professional photographer, so I also am quite experienced with various filters and I'm not referring to a polarizer (although I see everything I said about a UV filter could apply to a polarizer as well).

By the way Peter, I do quite like many of your photos, so keep up the good work. I was going to try to tell you my favorite, but I can't make a decision. The effects I have mentioned about UV filters are extremely subtle (and only in extreme UV light) and in most cases, the loss of quality in the image VS the amount of UV blocking is completely not worth it. However UV filters can help if the situation calls for it (but only barely and only if you really are having a UV problem). Certain sensors are just the slightest bit more sensitive to UV spectrum, and I haven't done much testing with my GoPro Hero3 Black, but I can see noticeable, but near insignificant differences in tests with my Canon 5D Mark III. I only guess that the GoPro is a little more UV sensitive. As mentioned though, it wouldn't be very worthwhile wasting time on a UV filter for the GoPro (or much else for that matter) unless you are doing it just to stop down the light barely (like a very low neutral density filter) and even in that case, you should just get an ND filter. In 99.9% of cases, the reason people use a UV filter is only for lens protection (like Peter said). However, having a polarizing filter (not UV) and using it on the GoPro correctly can get you some really cool shots that you couldn't get otherwise.

No Neil, I didn't take it as an insult, and I thank you for the comments re my photos.

I still disagree strongly with you re the UV filter issue but it seems that we're going to have to agree to disagree on that. It's a pity we're not discussing it over dinner (although I guess our respective partners wouldn't be too happy about that) ;-)

One thing about the use of a polariser with a GoPro is this:

Although I don't own, and have never handled, a GoPro, I believe from what I've seen that the lens is super-wide. And that brings some problems when using a polariser. Leaving aside all the benefits of a polariser in respect of removing reflections from foliage (and in fact all reflecting surfaces which are non-metallic) many people like the polariser for its ability to make blue skies bluer. The problem is that the polariser is most effective at doing that at 90° to the sun. At 180° it has very little effect, and straight into the sun it has no effect at all. It doesn't take much calculation therefore to realise that once you get into the territory of really wide angles of view (or FOVs if you prefer), you're going to get some areas of the sky that will look super blue and some areas that look washed out. That looks pretty odd in a still shot; in a video, however, it may not be so important. It's just something for people to be aware of.

EDIT:
I just remembered that I have an example of the phenomena shot with a lens which has an angle of view of 112°

The first is with a polariser, the second without

polariser-wide-angle.jpg

no-polariser-wide-angle.jpg

Peter Evans said:
The plan is then for Studiosport to send me a Phantom 2 plus the DronExpert mount. I'll then send that mount immediately to DronExpert in Holland and they'll swap it for another mount with the iOSD-mini already fitted. so, if all goes well, I should be up and running within a couple of weeks, maximum.

Total cost, including the Sony RX100 (which is on its way to me from Amazon as we speak) will be 2,000 euros

Hi Peter

Will you not have to send them the P2 as well? or is the iosd fitted outside of the phantom 2 ? My iosd is all wired up inside the shell of the P2.

Shrimpfarmer said:
Will you not have to send them the P2 as well? or is the iosd fitted outside of the phantom 2 ? My iosd is all wired up inside the shell of the P2.

They said that if it was being fitted to a Phantom 1, they'd like the Phantom as well and they'd fit the iOSD inside, because that's where the CAN-BUS is situated. For the Phantom 2 which has the CAN-BUS outside the shell, they said it was better for them to wire the iOSD to the electronics on their mount. Here's a copy of what they actually said.

"Normaly on a Phantom(1) we intergrate this Iosd module, and the 5.8Ghz video transmitter inside the phantom, because for the Iosd we need the Can_bus connection. (inside the phantom). If we built it in the rx100 mount, there goes to many wires up and down (to the phantom) to get it work. But if you have a Phantom2, this can-bus is placed outside the Phantom2 so in that case we can built the IOSD inside the RX100 mount."

Peter Evans said:
Shrimpfarmer said:

They said that if it was being fitted to a Phantom 1, they'd like the Phantom as well and they'd fit the iOSD inside, because that's where the CAN-BUS is situated. For the Phantom 2 which has the CAN-BUS outside the shell, they said it was better for them to wire the iOSD to the electronics on their mount. Here's a copy of what they actually said.

"Normaly on a Phantom(1) we intergrate this Iosd module, and the 5.8Ghz video transmitter inside the phantom, because for the Iosd we need the Can_bus connection. (inside the phantom). If we built it in the rx100 mount, there goes to many wires up and down (to the phantom) to get it work. But if you have a Phantom2, this can-bus is placed outside the Phantom2 so in that case we can built the IOSD inside the RX100 mount."

Thats good.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers