A very quick post processing horizon "fix"

Reaction score
I know it has been a topic spoken of so many times and coming from just about all owners of DJI drones that the blasted camera always tilted one way or another producing slanted horizons. Although there may not be a fix there is a very quick and easy way to fix it in post processing for free.

FastStone Image Viewer, Screen Capture, Photo Resizer ... Download Faststone image viewer 6.2 I have been using this for many years in conjunction with Lightroom. For a free program it is very good indeed and a lot of my pictures are processed very quickly and I add easily with just this program.

Open an image, slide your mouse to the left till the left side menu opens. Click on Horizon and then grid lines will appear. Take your mouse and move the grid to your horizon and then scroll your mouse wheel up or down depending which direction you need to move the horizon. Some images take as much as 3 degrees of correction. Click save and you are done!! While you are in the program have a look around at what it can do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Techcop50
I know it has been a topic spoken of so many times and coming from just about all owners of DJI drones that the blasted camera always tilted one way or another producing slanted horizons. Although there may not be a fix there is a very quick and easy way to fix it in post processing for free.

FastStone Image Viewer, Screen Capture, Photo Resizer ... Download Faststone image viewer 6.2 I have been using this for many years in conjunction with Lightroom. For a free program it is very good indeed and a lot of my pictures are processed very quickly and I add easily with just this program.

Open a image, slide your mouse to the left till the menu opens. Click on Horizon and then grid lines will appear. Take your mouse and move the grid to your horizon and then scroll your mouse wheel up or down depending which direction you need to move the horizon. Some images take as much as 3 degrees of correction. Click save and you are done!! While you are in the program have a look around at what it can do.
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

That can be done in Premiere if shot in 4K
For anyone wondering, there are a couple different ways of doing it (search YouTube). The one I found easiest was adjusting the rotation (2 or -2 is a good place to start until you get an idea of what's best for your machine) and then using the Scale setting (~102-103 or so) to eliminate any black portions at the corrected edges. These are both under Effects.

Hopefully that makes sense. I'm a Premiere Noob, so there are probably better ways of doing it. So far, it's what I've found to be easiest.

Attachments

• 20170728 Premiere tilt fix explanation 2.jpg
    20170728 Premiere tilt fix explanation 2.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 291

Open an image, slide your mouse to the left till the left side menu opens. Click on Horizon and then grid lines will appear. Take your mouse and move the grid to your horizon and then scroll your mouse wheel up or down depending which direction you need to move the horizon. Some images take as much as 3 degrees of correction. Click save and you are done!! While you are in the program have a look around at what it can do.

If you are already using Lightroom why do you not just use the level tool in there to straighten the horizon. And it takes 2 clicks. No need to use another program???

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan