A new set of props?

Not to sound like "I told ya so." or anything, but this whole discussion highlights ANOTHER reason why I still have my trusty little 3Adv when I could easily trot out and buy a 4xx.
1. Propellars are attached as though they are necessary. IE: Screwed on with self-tightening thread direction. You should see Mercruiser's method for attaching props
Lock ring, lock tab and Lock Nut
2. Battery does not fall out in mid-air. IE: Look at how your car's fuel tank is attached
3. If I really truly do need a picture of something, I will get up there somehow with my Nikon. So the 3's camera suffices for my needs
Quite agree KJ. My old P3A serves my purpose very nicely. Simple, safe prop attachment, as long as one tightens them proper like before flying, secure battery, love it.
This thread certainly got a few temperatures up for some reason. Everyone is an individual so we all have our own ideas on what's right and wrong. Plastic props are almost impossible to check for internal cracks, and they can occurs, unless one has an ultrasound kit and even some micro external ones would be difficult to spot unless one has a DP crack detection kit (Dye Penetrant). Change props every year, personal choice. A more reliable thing to use would be number of flying hours. Don't know if DJI have a "recommended life" for their props? Have they tested some to destruction? maybe someone on here should do that :D
AS FlyDawg says, make sure you check the simple things every time!

I change mine every hundred flights or twenty hours in the air. Overkill? Maybe, but they are not that expensive and I would rather be safe. I save the old ones to use when I need to run down the batteries before traveling on an airplane, or to do deep cycle of the batteries.
I imagine some people will run the same props for years and hundreds of flights, just not me.

Reactions: RPP
Quite agree KJ. My old P3A serves my purpose very nicely. Simple, safe prop attachment, as long as one tightens them proper like before flying, secure battery, love it.
This thread certainly got a few temperatures up for some reason. Everyone is an individual so we all have our own ideas on what's right and wrong. Plastic props are almost impossible to check for internal cracks, and they can occurs, unless one has an ultrasound kit and even some micro external ones would be difficult to spot unless one has a DP crack detection kit (Dye Penetrant). Change props every year, personal choice. A more reliable thing to use would be number of flying hours. Don't know if DJI have a "recommended life" for their props? Have they tested some to destruction? maybe someone on here should do that :D
AS FlyDawg says, make sure you check the simple things every time!
I will be tarred and feathered for this statement, but it will not be the first time or last. Every time I see "New and Improved....blah blah blah"..I see "New and more profitable to us, sorry about your luck, Chump." between the lines. IE: for instance if you know what a 1911 ACP is. Been around a loooong time.

I changed mine out about a year ago even though they looked fine( just lots of bug blood ) I just figured better safe then sorry, I bought the black OEM props just to switch it up a bit

FWIW, I've read in a forum somewhere on this site that one of the other concerns about prop's, and especially on the P4 series (which I own) is to never leave you're prop's attached to your bird. Always remove them after flight, as the springs on the retention mechanism on top of the motors will prematurely weaken, and you can lose one in flight. My case allows me to store the drone with them on, but I always remove them and store them in the DJI provided bag. This also allows you to individually inspect each one for not only external damage, but internal damage of the hub area, as @ianzone alluded to. Bottom line, prop's are cheap. Drones are expensive, as well as peace of mind while flying. IMHO, that may be the best reason for changing them occasionally...

Yeah, after some reading around the forum, I ordered some new props. My situation maybe a little different because I purchased the P3P used. For all I know, the plastic props could be 4 years old. The P3P came with a few sets of CF props, but I'm on the fence as to whether or not to keep using them. My new OEM props showed up today, so next time I fly that's what I'll use.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl