A little help on what to charge?

WOW ... 100 buxx for a shoot ... I am surprised that's all your getting out there. I thought liberals were a bit more ... liberal ... j/k. I am in Ohio and the average here is 150 to 300 ... I know guys that charge a couple thousand, but they are also shooting million dollar homes.

Reactions: jeffcutler
As both a Realtor and a drone pilot, I think the answer is as simple as this, “Ask the agent what they want or what their clients want”
Many MLS Boards allow for linking to YouTube so lengthy videos can be shown. You can also amortize much of the flying expenses by capturing non-household video of parks, ponds, schools and neighborhood highlights. Incorporate these components to show a more complete story. The client may be the Realtors, but the real customer is the Buyer looking for the ‘Ah-Ha’ experience yu can provide.
Safe flying!

Lots of interesting info here. I'm a pro photographer who is also a REALTOR and also 107-certified.

I'm in an affluent community, so your mileage may vary if you use my pricing and packages.

I post-process all my images and deliver them within 48 hours on a thumb drive.

I charge $150 for ONE aerial photo. This is a last-resort option for agents who forgot to get aerials when they got the listing photos of the interior done.

I charge $250 for FIVE aerial images.

I charge $400 for five aerial photos and complete interior listing photos (I'm a photog and REALTOR, so they trust me to do this as I know how to photograph interiors).

I charge $250 for a video up to 20 seconds (processed and captioned in Premiere Pro) and since I'm already in the air, I take one establishing photo and toss that ONE aerial image in the package.

**I sent a sample video to 40 REALTORS locally at 12PM on Tuesday of this week. I got a call at 1:40PM to go capture an aerial of a property because the owner asked why their listing didn't have one. I took the photo (really took about 12 from different angles), processed them and delivered them by 3:22PM. I stuffed the check for $150 into my jeans pocket at 3:23PM.**

I've already got more calls from that one sample video. It looks like it could be a great Spring and Summer. I'm only flying the P3S which has plenty of resolution for a 2-inch listing photo. People just want to see how close the house is to facilities, the beach and transportation.

Got more questions, let me know.

J

As both a Realtor and a drone pilot, I think the answer is as simple as this, “Ask the agent what they want or what their clients want”
Many MLS Boards allow for linking to YouTube so lengthy videos can be shown. You can also amortize much of the flying expenses by capturing non-household video of parks, ponds, schools and neighborhood highlights. Incorporate these components to show a more complete story. The client may be the Realtors, but the real customer is the Buyer looking for the ‘Ah-Ha’ experience yu can provide.
Safe flying!
Real customer is the agent who should know who their buyer is and what images will sell the property. I'm planning to stay away from YouTube links as you really only need 20 seconds of aerial to show surrounding areas. I process in Adobe Lightroom (photos) and Premiere (video). One perk I do offer with my multiple photo package is a high-resolution aerial image suitable for printing up to 24x20 inches. Listing agents often like to provide this to the sellers as a gift...and all it costs them is $30-50 at CVS or Walgreens to print it. (Works around here well as the mean price for a home is $700k).

Safe flying!
To add on, YES YES YES, ask the agent what they're trying to convey if they're asking for video. It'll save you an extra mission and a second trip to the property.

Reactions: realestatephotopro
Drone Real Estate photography is the ditch digging of drone work. The pay is low and anyone can do it.

With what I’m competing with here locally, there is no way an agent is going to pay 200+ for a few stills of their property. Now this could be a lil different on some higher end homes.

I feel it has to do with supply and demand. A year ago only a few in my area were pursuing this endeavor. Today, I’m competing with the guy who just got his p3s and thinks he’s now a pro because he’s pulled off a couple aerial pics that him and a few others think are great. And it’s not just one of these guys, it’s like 20 now. Your average agent has no clue about photography and are easily impressed.

I shot a property yesterday. The shoot was supposed to be for free. I give a free shoot for first timers (with conditions) as a way to get my foot in the door. The guy was in a rush and needed the pics ASAP so he ended up paying me. Anyway the agent is explaining to me as I’m flying that he just found out the guy they were using didn’t have a license or insurance. They thought this wasn’t a good idea being in the location we were (DT Portland). I was laughing inside as he was making it sound like it would be ok if we were somewhere else.

Anyway, Real Estate drone photographers are now a dime a dozen and they all have 10 years experience and 1 million in liability... lol. I’m sure there are a few professionals out there that might have a lil more experience with LR or Adobe that will set them apart. But when the average agent sees an add with good pics for 100 and they see a lil better pics for 3-500, chances are the pilot advertising for 100 will get the job. Remember, these pics aren’t going in an art gallery, they are information pics. There’s a guy in my area right now offering 90 seconds of video, edited I might add for 100 bucks! I’m sure the quality is not there, but to the average Joe who doesn’t know quality, the guy probably has a better chance landing the job than me.

As far as prices go, you have to be happy with what you make for the work you did. I have no problem shooting a house for a 100 bucks. I might spend 10-15 minutes flying, 20-30 mins driving, and another 15 mins or so editing stills. Take out taxes and fuel (which is a right off) and your left with what 65-75 bucks? Even if it worked out to 50, I’d still be happy. I love flying, I love shooting pics, and I love editing my pics. 50 bucks an hour to do something I love is awesome for me. Some of you might have higher standards than mine and if so then adjust your prices accordingly, but dont forget about the guy down the street with the p3s;)
See my response ABOVE with my pricing - REALTOR/Photographer with 107 certification and 'only' a P3S.

Last edited:
Lots of interesting info here. I'm a pro photographer who is also a REALTOR and also 107-certified.

I'm in an affluent community, so your mileage may vary if you use my pricing and packages.

I post-process all my images and deliver them within 48 hours on a thumb drive.

I charge $150 for ONE aerial photo. This is a last-resort option for agents who forgot to get aerials when they got the listing photos of the interior done.

I charge $250 for FIVE aerial images.

I charge $400 for five aerial photos and complete interior listing photos (I'm a photog and REALTOR, so they trust me to do this as I know how to photograph interiors).

I charge $250 for a video up to 20 seconds (processed and captioned in Premiere Pro) and since I'm already in the air, I take one establishing photo and toss that ONE aerial image in the package.

**I sent a sample video to 40 REALTORS locally at 12PM on Tuesday of this week. I got a call at 1:40PM to go capture an aerial of a property because the owner asked why their listing didn't have one. I took the photo (really took about 12 from different angles), processed them and delivered them by 3:22PM. I stuffed the check for $150 into my jeans pocket at 3:23PM.**

I've already got more calls from that one sample video. It looks like it could be a great Spring and Summer. I'm only flying the P3S which has plenty of resolution for a 2-inch listing photo. People just want to see how close the house is to facilities, the beach and transportation.

Got more questions, let me know.

J

Well written. I like your idea of a Promo Video.

Hey all. I'm providing the link to the video I referenced. Please DON'T call me (even though my number is in the video). Feel free to imitate/duplicate this for your potential clients. **I think I should make it shorter. 3:54 is a little long as REALTORS can tell in about a minute if you're offering what they want. In fact, here's my whole email...

Thanks in advance for four minutes of your time. I’m a creative professional based in Hingham specializing in drone and other photography services.

I am a Part 107 Certified UAV Pilot; a licensed REALTOR; PPAM Member; listing photographer; and an experienced event photographer.

Click to see a YouTube video of my aerial photography around the South Shore…

Please email or call to discuss aerial photography for your listings or other projects.

Do not use footage from unlicensed drone operators.
Commercial aerial photographers must have FAA Part 107 Certification.
The Federal government can levy fines of up to $11000 per occurrence to individuals and businesses using images or video captured by an unlicensed pilot.

Number of photos is the tier system to use. Square footage just becomes too scammy because it takes you roughly the same amount of time to shoot a 1000sqft home as it does a 5000sqft home. Also, I definitely recommend only delivering edited photos. You don't have to every deliver something that looks bad because then it has your reputation on it. Plus, you can use that as added value (that all of your photos are delivered fully edited). Very important: You have to have a good workflow for editing your photos. It's crucial for your profit margin and business reputation that you know how to edit photos professionally and in an efficient amount of time (because the last thing you want to do is spend 30 minutes at the shoot and 4 hours behind the computer on each job). There's good software out there besides photoshop/lightroom.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20