A few ideas...

Reaction score
Before I start, this is my first post. :) OK, now that that's out of the way, lets start, shall we?

So we all know and love the new(not really) Phantom 3 series, correct? Well, though they do have their pros,(and cons) there are MANY things that could be improved.

Here are "A few ideas":

1. BATTERY LIFE!!!
We know that DJI could easily make a battery that is 45 minutes (or at least I do lol) but my question is, *Why don't they?* For me, it makes 0% sense *considering the gopro drone coming out* that they won't. So in the truelly perfect drone, we ALL want at least 45 minutes of flight time.

2. 360° camera view (for the phantom)
Look at the new typhoon drone! 360 would be AWESOME on the phantom, but sadly, DJI has not made that so.

3. Obstacle avoiding stuff.
We have all crashed a drone...Come on, admit it! Lol. But NOT crashing into a wall or something would be AWESOME.

Any other ideas for the " Truelly perfect drone"? Tell me!

Have a great day lol

1. BATTERY LIFE!!!
We know that DJI could easily make a battery that is 45 minutes (or at least I do lol) but my question is, *Why don't they?* For me, it makes 0% sense *considering the gopro drone coming out* that they won't. So in the truelly perfect drone, we ALL want at least 45 minutes of flight time.

Weight, and the motors need time to cool would be my guess
I find 15 minutes more than enough time for all my missions. Just me.

Look at the new typhoon drone! 360 would be AWESOME on the phantom, but sadly, DJI has not made that so.

I'm sure it's in the works ;)

We have all crashed a drone...Come on, admit it! Lol. But NOT crashing into a wall or something would be AWESOME.

I would imagine they are working on that as well, but deciding when to release it. To be first, (and DJI was) they may have rushed
to the market and now that edge is wearing off as competitors who took longer, but better matured their product, are finally reaching the market?
A WAG. o_O

I've only crashed a Syma X5C but then that's my sacrificial learning drone and it's actually crash proof. I can take it up 300feet, cut the motors and it just floats back down. No harm done.
Learning orientation control, head in flight and long distance direction orientation is a LOT more relaxing when you've only got $40 at stake and even that is virtually indestructible :)

Makes flying the Phantoms SOOO much more relaxing....cause what some might consider a panic situation becomes a yawn situation. kinda if you know what I mean.

I'm pretty happy with the P3 as is. I'm easy.

Oh...and welcome to the site.
Good first post <thumbs up>

Last edited:
Reactions: jointeffort
1. BATTERY LIFE!!!
We know that DJI could easily make a battery that is 45 minutes (or at least I do lol) but my question is, *Why don't they?* For me, it makes 0% sense *considering the gopro drone coming out* that they won't. So in the truelly perfect drone, we ALL want at least 45 minutes of flight time..
The Phantom is already at the sharp end of current battery technology.
Until technology improves, to get a battery that would fly the Phantom for 45 minutes, it would probably be too heavy to fly.
The Phantom manages pretty well and there's no great need for this feature or the complexity and cost it would involve.
If it's important to you there are other drones to consider like the Inspire or the typhoon.
Obstacle avoidance tech is very early stage stuff. It only works at low speeds and costs as well as adds weight.
Cessa pilots manage without this technology - we can too.

Obstacle avoidance tech is very early stage stuff. It only works at low speeds and costs as well as adds weight.
Cessa pilots manage without this technology - we can too.

Not ALL do, but it's definitely a priority when your loins are at stake :)

Before I start, this is my first post. :) OK, now that that's out of the way, lets start, shall we?

So we all know and love the new(not really) Phantom 3 series, correct? Well, though they do have their pros,(and cons) there are MANY things that could be improved.

Here are "A few ideas":

1. BATTERY LIFE!!!

Any other ideas for the " Truelly perfect drone"? Tell me!

Have a great day lol
1. A bigger battery does not mean significantly longer run times due to additional weight. A bigger battery also requires a bigger battery bay, so a bigger drone, that means more weight, you can see where this is going right? ;)

2. Kodak just came out with one you could use on a UAV - Kodak Digital Cameras | SP360 Action Camera

3. It will be common on all UAV's very soon, be patient grasshopper.

patience_grasshopper.jpg

Reactions: GoodnNuff
360° camera view (for the phantom)

I believe the Inspire rotates the camera 360. And the Inspire is made by DJI.

Obstacle avoiding stuff....
It's on the drawing board. Go to youtube and search for Phantom X.

For a novice like me, the flight times are long enough. 20ish minutes is alot of focus and concentration. I'd rather take a break, and put a second battery in. It helps me to refocus and relax.

Also these features you state are all nice, but they'll add $$$$ to the price tag which is a consideration for me.

Sorry on my tablet lol but the onagofly has ovodience stuff and its tiny. And for the batter, what about a carbon fiber body build? That stuff is very light.

As people have mentioned before, the optimal battery life really depends on what you're hoping to use your drone for - the perfect drone might actually just come down to having the perfect drone product line. That and the 360 view are all part of a delicate balance of trade-offs, haha :) I personally look for durability and agility to get some really cool and unique shots in.

Actually (and truthfully why I'm posting here), I'm working with a popular manufacturer in the drone market who's interested in getting consumer opinions on buying and using drones / quadcopters. So this is kind of the perfect question to ask, haha! If you have about 15 minutes to spare for a survey and are interested in participating, please click on the link below - the results will actually directly assist in helping to shape the future of drone / quadcoter development.

http://confirmit.ssisurveys.com/wix/p64378372.aspx

Last edited:
Actually (and truthfully why I'm posting here), I'm working with a popular manufacturer in the drone market who's interested in getting consumer opinions on buying and using drones / quadcopters. So this is kind of the perfect question to ask, haha! If you have about 15 minutes to spare for a survey and are interested in participating, please click on the link below - the results will actually directly assist in helping to shape the future of drone / quadcoter development.

http://confirmit.ssisurveys.com/wix/p64378372.aspx
When I tried to do the survey, before I got to see any questions, I just get this:
Based on your answers to the previous screening questions, you do not qualify to complete the survey, so we do not need you to answer any additional questions. Thank you for your interest in this study and for being a valued customer

1. BATTERY LIFE!!!

That's about 15 more minutes worth of flying time which means an even larger area when you have to go hunt for it.

I'm happy with the flight time, it's the price of the batteries that needs to be "refined".

When I tried to do the survey, before I got to see any questions, I just get this:
Based on your answers to the previous screening questions, you do not qualify to complete the survey, so we do not need you to answer any additional questions. Thank you for your interest in this study and for being a valued customer

Same here!

Same! But we all admit that every now and then, we are getting the perfect shot and beep brep, we gotta come down lol

Sorry on my tablet lol but the onagofly has ovodience stuff and its tiny. And for the batter, what about a carbon fiber body build? That stuff is very light.
The problem isn't the case. It's the chemical innards. Aside from the size and weight issues noted above, bigger batteries are problematic when transporting - these things have the explosive capability of a small bomb.

There are things that DJI can and will improve on - your list likely isn't among them except the object avoidance and that will come. Right now it's more a marketing point than something really useful.

I'm waiting for a X-band or LIDAR altimeter. That would help us immensely (no more RTH-into-the-tree tales).

I backed a Kickstarter project called Batteriser, it's a device that pulls are available energy from each battery that you've attached a Batteriser to. If they could incorporate the technology into it, it would extend flight times by 80% Check it out! I'll see how they really do once I receive mine (Home)

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues