6 Months after Release.. What's the consensus around P4 VS P3?

Reaction score
I think it's safe to state that the P4 release and sales did not beat the P3's MASSIVE success. (or am i wrong?)

The mostly lackluster specs/improvements combined with the high-cost compard with the very capable P3 at half its price.

So i wonder, has it changed in the past 6 months.. or is this still the consensus? Will the P4 be the forgotten drone, or does it symbolize the maturity of the product at that price point?

I for one, just sold my last P3P and keeping my P4. But i have to admit i do not see many P4 owners flying around..

Reactions: DMcNamara
I honestly don't see a reason to upgrade yet. I have 2 P3Ps for business with 12 batteries and all of my traveling gear is for P3s...after reviews and looking at the cost of upgrading all of my gear ..it just doesn't look like a high advantage ...I think the P5 might be might next upgrade route.

i have had both and i must say that after selling the p3 pro and consequently buying the p4, the difference of 300 bucks was completely worthy. Just how much more smooth the gimbal is while recording is worth the difference alone not too mention the extra safety features and the sport mode flying capabilities that make the p4 such much better package, at least in my opinion, better pics/videos and more enjoyable flying. I always suggest to people to sell their p3s before they drop any more on value and acquire the newer with a higher resale value p4....

i have had both and i must say that after selling the p3 pro and consequently buying the p4, the difference of 300 bucks was completely worthy. Just how much more smooth the gimbal is while recording is worth the difference alone not too mention the extra safety features and the sport mode flying capabilities that make the p4 such much better package, at least in my opinion, better pics/videos and more enjoyable flying. I always suggest to people to sell their p3s before they drop any more on value and acquire the newer with a higher resale value p4....

I see zero difference in videos when its P3P vs P4, my friends P4 we recorded together, there was no difference in quality or smoothness.
his does hover/hold position better and is a little faster, but that was it.

I'd recommend keeping the P3 rather then "upgrading" to a P4. I'd recommend buying a P4 over buying a P3.

But it's not as simple as that. It never is. Other facts need to be considered as well.. namely if you mind/don't mind spending the money and what you _really_ want. I have a working wet vac right now but it's 9 years old and I wanted a better one. Would the old one work for what I needed? Yes. But I did not mind spending the $100 for a new and slightly better one.

Collision avoidance sounds get but it really only comes into play during automated RTH. Everything else is not much of an improvement. However, all of those little things _are_ nice.

Completely disagree as well as all the people who saw my videos recorded w the p3 pro vs the p4.. But hey, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you want to believe so, I am glad you love your p3. I did too, until I upgraded.

I see zero difference in videos when its P3P vs P4, my friends P4 we recorded together, there was no difference in quality or smoothness.
his does hover/hold position better and is a little faster, but that was it.

Reactions: Skipholiday
Own a P2 Vision+, P3 Pro, P3 Advanced, a pair of P3 Standards, & a P4. The P4 is faster than a P3 & slightly better at hovering in place & positional accuracy. Camera performance between the P3/P4 is indistinguishable at identical resolution. The gimbal on my P4 has always been quirky & prone to inexplicable wobbles/jerkiness when yawing in wind or making extreme maneuvers. The P4 gimbal is well known for inconsistency in maintaining a level horizon. The P4 is inferior to the P3 Pro/Advanced in RC range, & it's battery life is in the 18-22 minute range, well short of the 28 minutes advertised.

All this being said, I'm not sorry I bought a P4, but I can't recommend a P4 over a P3. I never use OA because the 22 mph speed limit is too great a sacrifice for the benefit. IMHO the Best Buy in Phantoms continues to be the P3 Advanced. Go with the P3 Pro if you insist on 4K recording capability. If you are a Litchi junkie grab a P3 Standard as an auxiliary bird for Litchi missions.

Video from P4:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Video from P3 Advanced:

Video from P3 Standard:

I think it's safe to state that the P4 release and sales did not beat the P3's MASSIVE success. (or am i wrong?)

The mostly lackluster specs/improvements combined with the high-cost compard with the very capable P3 at half its price.

So i wonder, has it changed in the past 6 months.. or is this still the consensus? Will the P4 be the forgotten drone, or does it symbolize the maturity of the product at that price point?

I for one, just sold my last P3P and keeping my P4. But i have to admit i do not see many P4 owners flying around..

Last edited:
I have both the p3p and p4.
I like the p4 better.

I think @DirtyBird provided a great summary. It all comes down to how much you want to spend for your hobby. I started flying with the FC40 on P1 platform.
Gotta watch that impulse buying!! Apple and DJI have gotten me too many times, so the wife is now my gate. She forces me to justify and thus I got an I1V2 instead of P4. Loving it and my P3P!!

I follow this guy on YouTube. If you have time, this is a good P3P video. I see no difference between that and my P4.

Although I like my P4 for the extra 3 min flight time, and the clip on props, anyone that has owned an older P3P will be disappointed in the P4 range. Automatically you will search for controller upgrades on the P4. I still fly my P3P as much as my P4. I always recommend P3A for newbies, best value IMHO.

Reactions: embayweather
I have no regrets selling my p3p and getting the p4. The image quality is much better, the speed is faster, and the quality is better.

I had the P3A and upgraded to the P4. What I like most it the crash sensors and the ability to reach speeds of close to 50mph. As for the camera, I honestly think my P3a camera took good enough video quality for me. While the P4 takes amazing 4K video, if you don't have a way to watch it it is a waste of $$. The P4 is definitely more stable when hovering and the return home lands within inches of your takeoff. Much to many reviews I actually thing the P4 weights more with the battery installed. I was unable to weight the P3 before it was sold. Many more accessories available for the P3 but I am sure there will be more innovated upgrades soon. Both are great drones and I really cannot fault either one. If you want something better wait for the next model or get something less costly and practice, practice, practice.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I think @DirtyBird provided a great summary. It all comes down to how much you want to spend for your hobby. I started flying with the FC40 on P1 platform.
Gotta watch that impulse buying!! Apple and DJI have gotten me too many times, so the wife is now my gate. She forces me to justify and thus I got an I1V2 instead of P4. Loving it and my P3P!!
Wait so you asked your wife about buying a P4 and she said why not buy an inspire instead? Sounds like a rough life [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Completely disagree as well as all the people who saw my videos recorded w the p3 pro vs the p4.. But hey, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you want to believe so, I am glad you love your p3. I did too, until I upgraded.
totally agree

I have both and will keep both for now. I've had every Phantom sense they first came out.
To me the P4 is much more controllable and precise.
I can use sport mode and go to a location far away, take a pic and return quickly. (almost twice as fast as P3P)
The quick attach props are a nice addition as well.
Battery life is better with the P4. (mine is anyway)
I still use my P3P for risky flights or to show others how to fly.
They are all good but in my opinion P4 is the best Phantom to date.

Reactions: Bckmstr

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers