550 Pilot's lounge

Uncle Meat said:
So the assembly has begun! Soon I will join the ranks of 550 pilots!

Got the rest of my stuff in the other day so tonight I'll install the brains of this contraption. This is my build components thus far:

DJI F550
NAZA-M v2 w/GPS
Futaba 8FGHS w/R6208SB MD 2 receiver
DJI Zenmuse H3-2D Gimbal
GoPro Hero 3+ Black
NEEWER Fpv Anti-vibration Multifunction Landing Skid

Still haven't decided what batteries and which charger to go with. For now I'll just use my stock Phantom v1.1.1 batteries to get this rig setup and calibrated.

I also have not ordered any of my FPV gear yet, still researching that stuff.

I think I may be in over my head! This radio system is complex (well the S-Bus sure makes connection easy though).

Any advice or things I need to watch out for while installing/configuring the guts in my 550 tonight?

U.M.

flamewheelsm.jpg

My advice would be to look at YouTube videos and photos of our guy's setups so you can get a feel for how to and where to mount each piece. There are quite a few YouTube videos showing you how to setup a Futaba or Spektrum radio. Good luck and welcome to the F550 Fleet.

I'm almost forgot.....Since you are still deciding on FPF, I went with the Storm Deluxe from Heli-Pal, for me it's been great. I'm sure there are other that may be better or worse. Just check the forums and base your decision on what you read.

Is there any good reason why I shouldn't solder the power leads for my H3-2D to one of the bottom plate surface mounts intended for the ESC harnesses? I really don't want to route the power leads across the bottom plate and pile on another connection at the main power point where the battery cables are soldered.

On a different note... I was going to order a couple batteries from Helipal. Two each of the Storm 11.1V 5500mAh 35C LiPo Battery Packs. They are approximately $79.90 each. Thing is they have to be sent via express shipping according to the Helipal website so this adds an additional $37.90 in shipping costs. So it's going to cost me $200 for 2 batteries!?!? WTF!?

U.M.

Uncle Meat said:
Is there any good reason why I shouldn't solder the power leads for my H3-2D to one of the bottom plate surface mounts intended for the ESC harnesses? I really don't want to route the power leads across the bottom plate and pile on another connection at the main power point where the battery cables are soldered.

On a different note... I was going to order a couple batteries from Helipal. Two each of the Storm 11.1V 5500mAh 35C LiPo Battery Packs. They are approximately $79.90 each. Thing is they have to be sent via express shipping according to the Helipal website so this adds an additional $37.90 in shipping costs. So it's going to cost me $200 for 2 batteries!?!? WTF!?

U.M.

Managed to dump the first two replies (on road - cell phone - ugly).

You can use the ESC pads. Good practice says to distribute the power across the board. You have to compromise on some things since you will have a wiring maze if you don't. Some warn against it but a solid connection to the ESC pad should be fine. Be sure you don't exceed the GCU voltage. I took three leads off the ESC pads and hooked them to JST plugs so I wouldn't have to look for power when I was experimenting. I've powered video, LEDs and such with them with no problem.

Batteries are often cheaper from the States since the cost of shipping them from overseas is excessive. Look on eBay. I like Gens Ace batteries... which you can get from several Stateside sellers - just Google them.

ladykate said:
Batteries are often cheaper from the States since the cost of shipping them from overseas is excessive. Look on eBay. I like Gens Ace batteries... which you can get from several Stateside sellers - just Google them.
I found some Gen Ace 5500mAh 3S1P 11.1V 25C on eBay for $79.00, but I'm hesitant on buying them because of the 25C rating.

FangsCPO said:
I use these from Tower Hobbies. I get 11:30 minutes of flight time. They are a little pricey but if you pay the $10 annual membership, you'll get a substantial savings and free or reduced shipping.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCZKL&P=7
Those seem to be a perfect choice for a single 3S battery setup, but $110 per battery!? Yikes! That 11:30 run time is based on a basic 550, or one with gimbal, camera, etc?

U.M.

Gimbal; camera, iOSD, LED lights. 25C is too low

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

FangsCPO said:

Thanks! Are you using the E300 stuff on your 550? What size props are you using, 8 or 10 inch?

Looks like I'm probably going with your suggestion then... wallet is gonna take a hit once again! This is not a cheap hobby huh? LOL!

U.M.

10 in props, stock motors

Uncle Meat said:
FangsCPO said:

Thanks! Are you using the E300 stuff on your 550? What size props are you using, 8 or 10 inch?

Looks like I'm probably going with your suggestion then... wallet is gonna take a hit once again! This is not a cheap hobby huh? LOL!

U.M.

Even just 25C on a 5500mAh batt means it can deliver 137A, which should be plenty for a 550...mine never pulls more than 55A at peak. I have a 25C 5000mAh batt I use regularly and it delivers plenty of power even on a 4S system.

I'd probably recommend 20C min just to leave a comfortable safety margin in available current, but even that should be ok.

OI Photography said:
Uncle Meat said:
Well here she is.... ready for her maiden flight as soon as I get some batteries.

U.M.

flamewheelsm3.jpg

Nice clean build!

Not for nothin, but where are you going to mount the battery?

I have a Neewer FPV skid which has a front & rear platform. Camera & gimbal on the front, battery on the rear. At least that's the plan. I want to get a few flights in with it in this bare bones setup first. Once I'm used to flying her a bit I'll add the skid and related components.

U.M.

OI Photography said:
Cool (and that Neewer gear is very popular for the 550). I was just trying to picture how you'd get one on the top deck with the GPS mast centered there :)
I'm now trying to figure out the best way to mount my H3-2D to the front FPV platform. Seems none of the pre-drilled holes in the Zenmuse or the Neewer provided FPV platform line up. Plus the H3-2D instructions state NOT to use the provided rubber isolators when installing on the 550? That just doesn't sound right to me though?

U.M.

Uncle Meat said:
OI Photography said:
Cool (and that Neewer gear is very popular for the 550). I was just trying to picture how you'd get one on the top deck with the GPS mast centered there :)
I'm now trying to figure out the best way to mount my H3-2D to the front FPV platform. Seems none of the pre-drilled holes in the Zenmuse or the Neewer provided FPV platform line up. Plus the H3-2D instructions state NOT to use the provided rubber isolators when installing on the 550? That just doesn't sound right to me though?

U.M.

I haven't used the Neewer landing gear, or the H3-2D on my 550, but it does sound odd that they suggest not to use the dampeners on the 550...I have no idea off the top of my head why that would be. I use a different gimbal (CM2000) that I move back and forth between my Phantom and 550, and I always move the whole mount with it...rubber isolators and all. No issues from doing that as far as I can see.

If you're looking for a more affordable battery you should definitely check these out! I'v been using them for the past month and they are brilliant! I get around 10:30 - 11:30 depending on flight conditions. Same weight and 6400mah as the Onyx batteries but at half the price. Just ordered two more :)

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... ible_.html

If your an Aussie they are also available in their local NSW Warehouse.

Uncle Meat said:

U.M.
I think that's the same landing gear I have, and two of the holes on the gimbal mount lined up perfectly with a couple on the platform of the landing gear, I think towards the back. Another was not quite aligned, and I just used a drill to get it, near the front I believe, to line up better and the three of them seem to hold it in pretty sturdily to me using the supplied screws and nuts.
I never heard that the gimbal instructions (who reads those anyway!) say to not use the rubber dampeners to install. Even the video on getting started on the Helipal website shows the Zenmuse going on with the dampeners installed. I have the rubber balls on my setup, although I do have a couple of zip ties going through two of the dampener holes as insurance that the gimbal and GoPro do not come loose and fall apart from the 550 somehow. I may try to post some photos later if that would help.
Congrats on your build, I think you will really enjoy it!

labmansid said:
Uncle Meat said:

U.M.
I think that's the same landing gear I have, and two of the holes on the gimbal mount lined up perfectly with a couple on the platform of the landing gear, I think towards the back. Another was not quite aligned, and I just used a drill to get it, near the front I believe, to line up better and the three of them seem to hold it in pretty sturdily to me using the supplied screws and nuts.
I never heard that the gimbal instructions (who reads those anyway!) say to not use the rubber dampeners to install. Even the video on getting started on the Helipal website shows the Zenmuse going on with the dampeners installed. I have the rubber balls on my setup, although I do have a couple of zip ties going through two of the dampener holes as insurance that the gimbal and GoPro do not come loose and fall apart from the 550 somehow. I may try to post some photos later if that would help.
Congrats on your build, I think you will really enjoy it!
Can you take some pictures showing how your F550 bottom plate is affixed to the landing gear? Right now it appears I may have to re-arrange almost all of my electronics in order to attach this skid using the hardware provided.

Thanks!

U.M.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TK-62119