550 Pilot's lounge

ladykate said:
If you get an adapter for the xt plug to Deans connector (and vice versa), you can use either charger. Alternatively, change the charger connectors to one or the other and the batteries to match.
Actually I do also have those adapters, was already thinking along those lines to use for now. My question on chargers was mainly in terms of faster chargers for quicker turnaround times. I saw a recommendation somewhere for I believe an icharger B206 or something along those lines. Just something that's quicker than a few hours.
Thanks again.

Sorry to but-in everyone, but I wanted to share my progress on my f550 build...
I'm trying to play catch up to everyone here as I learn from all your posts...
Thanks very much...

PS: I swapped out the white arms for black after-market ones... Eventually I'm going to invest in the Aimdroix Extended Arms. I want to play with it in this configuration for awhile... Tomorrow I install the NAZA v2 and Futaba Receiver...

13160474124_e4846b45ac_o.jpg

labmansid said:
OK guys, I can now post on here officially as a 550 pilot!
Got my bird the other day, and put the suggested ebay landing gear I had already ordered on it right off. Took a little bit of time trying to figure out the excellent instructions on those legs! ;) I haven't put the gimbal on it yet, and only made one flight with it so far to break it in. It was way too windy the day it came in, and now I am on a 7 day stint of work. :cry: It seemed to fly really well, but it only flew for 8-9 minutes max as I recall, which I was thinking it would fly longer since it was almost naked without the gimbal and GoPro on it. Maybe doing the compass dance and initial startup took a little out of it.
I will probably bug you guys with some questions along the way, hopefully not too much since there is a lot of helpful info on here already. I will probably put some LED lights on it before long. Speaking of LEDs, is there one that can go on that is more visible than the little one on the USB hookup for letting you know when the battery is getting low? Or do you just go by the readout from the iOSD mini? It would be nice to be able to see something like what's on the Phantoms. I did order one of those small battery voltage readers with an alarm on it, but my hearing isn't what it used to be and might not pick it up from far away.
One thing I was a little concerned about is the attachment of the GPS puck. I could not get all four screws to go in so that it pointed straight forward. The video from Helipal showed using only two screws to attach it while leaving the other two points without screws in them. Is that going to be a problem? Maybe I'm just being overcautious. I do have a folding GPS holder ordered.
Also, I've been looking into battery chargers, since between this and my Phantom my collection of batteries is growing. Any suggestions that won't break the bank?
Anyway, looks like the 550 will be a lot of fun to play with. Thanks guys.

Congrats!!! I posted in the thread F550 batteries a 6400 mAh 3S 35C that will give you 11:30 minutes. If you have iOSD installed the readings on the screen I have found to be very reliable. If my FPV monitor displays 11.1v when I throw it on my charger, it also displays 11.1v. So I haven't worried to much about being unable to see the green light suddenly blinking red. GPS, two screws only as well. Good luck!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Here's my project for the day. F550 with Aimdroix arms, Futaba 14SG, Onyx 6,400 mAh 3S battery and $300 worth of misc tools and accessories (soldering iron, heat gun, shrink wrap, etc). First step this morning, Soldering 101 school on YouTube. Wish me luck!

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    480 KB · Views: 352
labmansid said:
ladykate said:
If you get an adapter for the xt plug to Deans connector (and vice versa), you can use either charger. Alternatively, change the charger connectors to one or the other and the batteries to match.
Actually I do also have those adapters, was already thinking along those lines to use for now. My question on chargers was mainly in terms of faster chargers for quicker turnaround times. I saw a recommendation somewhere for I believe an icharger B206 or something along those lines. Just something that's quicker than a few hours.
Thanks again.

Ahhh... Sorry. I thought of that but decided I would rather do slower charges for the battery protection - my batteries heat up with the current charge rate. Instead, I just bought an extra battery or two. Pricey for the P2 ($150) but the P2 runs a lot longer so it really isn't bad.

PJA said:
Thanks very much...

PS: I swapped out the white arms for black after-market ones... Eventually I'm going to invest in the Aimdroix Extended Arms. I want to play with it in this configuration for awhile... Tomorrow I install the NAZA v2 and Futaba Receiver...

Very nice!

lgeist said:
Here's my project for the day. F550 with Aimdroix arms, Futaba 14SG, Onyx 6,400 mAh 3S battery and $300 worth of misc tools and accessories (soldering iron, heat gun, shrink wrap, etc). First step this morning, Soldering 101 school on YouTube. Wish me luck!

With soldering as with any skill, practice makes perfect. Try sticking some wires together and practice making them neat - then cover them with shrink tube and shrink it. Be sure the solder flows - a blob of solder is usually bad - a cloudy solder joint can be bad - ideally it looks a little silverish and flows into the work. First mistake of beginners is a cold solder joint. Second mistake is overheating everything and getting wrinkled wire insulation and/or circuit board/component damage. Third mistake is using too much solder - it should cover the objects with no cracks or fissues but it should NOT be dripping down in clumps. A good set of 'helping hands' helps. I bought the one from Harbor Freight and put it on a much heavier base (almost all the cheaper ones are too light and skid around). I already did a lot of soldering and have a nice workstation solder vice but wanted the mobility of the cheaper 'helping hands' for working with the quads. Seems to work fine. A solder sucker helps for when you get something soldered and want to take it apart (or you put too much solder on).

lgeist said:

Hello lgeist... Watch this Video... This guy can help you put together your f550 neatly...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4M95kRo_AM

PJA said:
Thanks very much...

Btw, that's a gorgeous job on the ESC wiring, esp the wrapping of the power leads. I tried the same thing but eventually gave up lol.

Thanks ladykate and PJA.

I think I've watched just about every F550 build video there is plus half a dozen "how to" soldering videos. I think I'm ready for the challenge!

I hope you all don't mind but I'm sure I'll have questions once I get to the Futaba 14SG setup. I've been following that thread closely! (My Zenmuse is still on backorder, so will get to that and FPV install later)

Electronics are in...

Is everything looking OK before I put the top on?

Was the Futaba Receiver supposed to go in any certain way?

13205947733_7aa080f641_o.jpg

I think the only difference between yours and mine is that I put the rx so the antenna side was pointing a little outwards and then ran one antenna out an arm and the other down the landing gear. This gave a 90 degree angle with one antenna parallel to the frame and one perpendicular. However, that doesn't mean it was right - but it does work.

ladykate said:
I think the only difference between yours and mine is that I put the rx so the antenna side was pointing a little outwards and then ran one antenna out an arm and the other down the landing gear. This gave a 90 degree angle with one antenna parallel to the frame and one perpendicular. However, that doesn't mean it was right - but it does work.

I remember reading in the Instruction book that they should be 90 degrees...

I like your idea... I will correct mine...

Thanks, ladykate...

PJA said:
Electronics are in...

I made it up to the same point in my build today. The only difference is that my soldering job is uglier ;-)

Nobody warned me that flux turns to epoxy glue after heated, or at least that's what it looks like smeared all over my frame!

lgeist said:
PJA said:
Electronics are in...

I made it up to the same point in my build today. The only difference is that my soldering job is uglier ;-)

Nobody warned me that flux turns to epoxy glue after heated, or at least that's what it looks like smeared all over my frame!

Try alcohol to clean it up.

lgeist said:

Solder supposed to look like a nice bead of mercury after you do the wire to board connections... Mine don't look so good in the last picture because I added 'heat gun glue' to all the connections for protection...

Pic before hot glue:
13207122233_b577fa2a26_c.jpg

ladykate said:
Futaba 8FGHS install

Before I started, I put on my new landing gear. I bought one of the common ones available on eBay and elsewhere (Ol Photographer steered me to it). The gear was pretty sturdy and I think it represents a big improvement. The only problem was the bottom cross-brace which would come out if the gear were stressed at all (as in, if you pick it up by the gear, the cross piece would sometimes come out of the sockets). I super-glued it in place. See: http://www.ebay.com/itm/251273667813?ss ... 1439.l2649

ladykate, how did you attach your FPV Anti Vibration Multifunction Landing Skid Kit to your frame? I purchased the same gear but the instructions aren't very clear on how to attach. :?

lgeist said:
ladykate said:
Futaba 8FGHS install

Before I started, I put on my new landing gear. I bought one of the common ones available on eBay and elsewhere (Ol Photographer steered me to it). The gear was pretty sturdy and I think it represents a big improvement. The only problem was the bottom cross-brace which would come out if the gear were stressed at all (as in, if you pick it up by the gear, the cross piece would sometimes come out of the sockets). I super-glued it in place. See: http://www.ebay.com/itm/251273667813?ss ... 1439.l2649

ladykate, how did you attach your FPV Anti Vibration Multifunction Landing Skid Kit to your frame? I purchased the same gear but the instructions aren't very clear on how to attach. :?

If you put the rubber cushioned platforms on the front and back on correctly, then they can be used as mounting points.

landinggearplushookup.jpg

BTW: I didn't do it right the first time. :D However, this picture does show my rx position (for another answer I posted)

Just about done with my f550 build... Still have to re-adjust some things. The landing gear are temporary...

When I have time this week I'm going to hook it up to the Assistant Software and make all the necessary adjustments...

Hopefully, my first flight will be within the next 10 days...

13235636854_3b928bc8b6_z.jpg

Has anyone upgraded their F550 motors to the E300 motors yet? I'm dying to hear a report and I'm getting bored so that means I'm in the mood of doing some upgrades to my F550.

re: upgrades

Not me. I was looking at the cost and thought I could just jump up a notch and make another hex... only bigger. And then I couldn't find anything that was in stock. So now I'm working on a radio actuated switch for the 550. Would love to hear about a conversion, though. There must be some going on since the kits are in short supply.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klik4d