50m property rule

Reaction score
Hi all - I'm still in the process of weighing up whether or not to get a commercial drone license, and I've read that you need to stay 50 metres away from a 'person, vessel, vehicle or structure not under the control of the pilot.'

I'm looking to do real estate work and that would definitely require me to be close than 50m to properties. Essentially every video I've seen goes closer and some even go inside (the mavic pro's are designed to dothis with their indoor slow mode feature).

So I'm wondering what the definition of that phrase up the top means in real world use. If you have the permission to film a certain house can you then go within 50m? And what does that mean for houses next door? Really would appreciate some advice as if taken literally I'm not sure how anyone gets any work done!

Are you in the U.K.? I seem to recall a 50m rule there, it's 30m in AUS. Unprotected people I can understand issues however your own property or other where you have permission shouldn't be an issue. Worst case is you crash and damage something and need to pay for it.

Hi dilby

If you have the permission of the land owner, and done the due diligence with regard to hazard warnings, then I believe that the people involved and the property, vehicles are deemed to be "under the pilots control".

Waylander

Yeah I'm in the UK sorry - should have mentioned that. Great, so perhaps when doing real estate if there are a few houses in a row the sensible process would be to let all the houses know within a 50m radius and get their permission too?

Hi Its slightly more complicated than that, the 50 Mtrs is a bubble, if you are 60 meters up in the air you are further than 50 meters away from other properties even if you are overhead...

I'd be having a chat with whoever regulates the airspace in the UK. Once you have a commercial license, you can get some of those restrictions waived, as long as you have a valid case, as well as a well drafted risk assessment + list of SoPs in place for everything you're likely to be doing at a site.

If you start making calls about the commercial license, the people you speak with will know who to talk to regarding this process....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan