5 Mile Airport Restriction

Not wanting to start a new thread here but I've been curious, has anyone called a major airport for permission? It seems like there is very few areas that are 5 miles or farther from an airport in Southern California. I would like to fly in fiesta island here in San Diego (see map below) but I'm going to fall in the flight distance issue and I haven't heard anyone calling a major airport like San Diego international. Granted, I'm not going to be in the flight path and the control tower would have more issues if a plane was coming my way than a drone up in the area I wish to go but I'm still just trying to figure this out and abide by the law.

That's going to be a tough one, given that Fiesta Island is so close to the actual airport boundary. Others here will have different opinions, but I personally would call the airport manager's office and ask for their notification procedures. I don't see how you will ever reach anyone in the tower. I live not too far from both LAX and LGB but I have not been close enough with my P3P to call and see what they say.

If you call, let us know what you find out. I would be interested.

Damon

That's going to be a tough one, given that Fiesta Island is so close to the actual airport boundary. Others here will have different opinions, but I personally would call the airport manager's office and ask for their notification procedures. I don't see how you will ever reach anyone in the tower. I live not too far from both LAX and LGB but I have not been close enough with my P3P to call and see what they say.

Damon

My apologies. I was thinking "Harbor Island" not "Fiesta Island." I need to get my islands straight. Right. Up near Mission Bay. Fiesta Island. Probably not an issue if you call.

Damon
It can be pretty close. It's just a nice place given its relatively flat and open and you can avoid the water. I know of one park that's actually open that I'll take my quad out to and give it a go (still haven't decided on which nice quad I'll get). If you look on the map, you can't really fly anywhere in San Diego or LA. I used to live in Palos Verdes and the whole place is blanketed by the 5 mile radius. Same thing for all of north county San Diego. In the local SD thread here, some guy said he flys at Fiesta Island, Point Loma, and shelter island but I don't think he called any of them. I just don't want to get a fine or anything. I have some number for them via the hover app so maybe I'll give that a go sometime.

Side note: anyone know the regulations for using an RC flight area? I know of one that's on a landfill I believe but they even have their own paved runway. I figure that might be a good place to get some practice in as it's pretty open (something that's not common in SD).

I was looking at an airport no fly zone map and I was thinking that a smarter, more doable solution might be a graduated height limit, like if your 4 miles from an airport you could fly to like 100-150 feet?

I'm a private pilot and if I'm flying that low that far from the airport I've got bigger issues than drones!

Might not be practical for the gear to look at the data in that way...

Matthew

Someone posted in another thread that people had successfully contacted McCarran Airport in Las Vegas and flown close to that airport.

Note that the regulations/guidelines do not require that you get "permission" from the tower only that you contact them.

I called the airport of a small town in Northern CA and asked the guy who answered the phone, who said he thought it wasn't allowed but that I could ask the boss. The boss said no problem, whenever you want to fly, just call and if we don't answer just leave a message. Problem is they don't have an answering machine that works, so if I want to fly when the airport is unmanned I need to call the day before. So, call ahead and give them a time period when you will be flying. I wanted to fly over the town early in the morning when the streets would be empty of people and cars.

I was looking at an airport no fly zone map and I was thinking that a smarter, more doable solution might be a graduated height limit, like if your 4 miles from an airport you could fly to like 100-150 feet?

You aren't flying under Part 107, right? Just recreationally?

I live within the 5 mile radius of 2 small airports. And down the street from a hospital with a he'll pad. Do I have to contact them every time I fly in my back yard?

FAA says must notify when "flying within 5 miles of an airport". I call the airport and keep a sharp eye out for the CareFlight helo. There are a coupl of small fields near m that show up on some of the apps. One doesn't exist any more! I was able to track down a number for them and call (3 calls total) before I fly. I keep a log of when I called and who or if I spoke with anyone.

Reactions: Falcon900
One of the airports near me does skyiving and they told me I was not allowed to fly at my house. I live on the edge of their 5 mile radius and I told them I would just be doing some flying in my backyard not exceding 100ft. But the said I was not aallowed since they are jumping today. Can they do that?

One of the airports near me does skyiving and they told me I was not allowed to fly at my house. I live on the edge of their 5 mile radius and I told them I would just be doing some flying in my backyard not exceding 100ft. But the said I was not aallowed since they are jumping today. Can they do that?

I believe they can. Most anything seems to have precedence over drones in the current rules.

If Huntington Beach, CA enacts their drone ordinance, even your neighbors within 300 feet around you can say "No" which then gives the local police some bite in enforcement, which is what their police chief wants at the meeting. Their mayor pro-tem seems also anti-drone as one flew over his pool with his kid and he expressed his displeasure by wanting to reach up and slap it out of the sky.

I'm 4.7 miles out and get the yellow fly warning, but I prefer to go further out as the neighbors might get a bit miffed with me buzzing the area. I already have one crazy dog lady across from me who has been known to go off the edge screaming about something in the evenings and don't want to engage with her ever.

Gonna be interesting getting real estate video...in a neighborhood....1/2 mile from LAX....with all required permissions...and DJI fully unlocked for Class D 200 yards from Class B. :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20