4k60p is.. not true 4k.

I'm going out shooting today and we'll try and capture in various formats. Will not be ideal because lighting changes so often but we'll see how it goes. I'm going to record in PAL to see if that yields any better results.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

well there is going to be some artifacting since its on youtube. but for the most part i think the fuzziness is mostly caused by low shutterspeeds. ideally you would want your shutterspeed to be double the framerate you're shooting at. Especially when you're in motion.
That's what I work on - I can't remember what I had it set at but I think it was 1/60 and shooting 60fps but why would that introduce the noise? Jarring yes - but sensor noise? I'm going to try dropping to 4k 30 and shooting at 1/60 as soon as I can.

There are so many views on this - one chap has said he ONLY ever shoots at 1/30th but I dont see how this works for anything other than a slow move.

I looked at the clips - I just saw terrible artifacting in the shadows on the overhead tracking shot - but not the same as I had. I had like a 'fuzz' on the picture - like jumping noise bits. What's that got to do with focus? It would be there if the clip was in focus or not. Noise is noise - or am I missing something here?
The artifacting is due to the crappy YT H.264 compression. However, in your case, 4K60 is not a good setting for max IQ because in these setting the P4P has less pixel sensor readout and 4x more compression than H265 30FPS. Shoot in 4K 30FPS H.265, all manual settings (f2.8 - 1/60 - ISO 800 or less if you can).

H265 in 100Mbps it's like H264 in 200Mbps. And 100Mbps for 30FPS it's not the same as 100Mbps for 60FPS. In the first example you have rougly 3x less compression per frame.

Try these settings! And don't forget tap to focus.

Enviado desde mi Nexus 6P mediante Tapatalk

Reactions: inkytog
The artifacting is due to the crappy YT H.264 compression. However, in your case, 4K60 is not a good setting for max IQ because in these setting the P4P has less pixel sensor readout and 4x more compression than H265 30FPS. Shoot in 4K 30FPS H.265, all manual settings (f2.8 - 1/60 - ISO 800 or less if you can).

H265 in 100Mbps it's like H264 in 200Mbps. And 100Mbps for 30FPS it's not the same as 100Mbps for 60FPS. In the first example you have rougly 3x less compression per frame.

Try these settings! And don't forget tap to focus.

Thank you - but I am still hesitant with h265 - because I am on Final Cut and Compressor won't handle h265 - I know Adobe Media encoder does but I would need to buy premier or after effects to get it.

Thank you - but I am still hesitant with h265 - because I am on Final Cut and Compressor won't handle h265 - I know Adobe Media encoder does but I would need to buy premier or after effects to get it.
But if you convert H.265 to ProRes, the problem is solved. Yes, I know, it's another step, but please try, you will not regret when you see the awesome results.

1) H265 4K 30FPS - 1/60 and all manual (white balance, ISO, aperture, D-Cinelike or None, tap to focus, etc)
2) Convert to ProRes
3) Color grading and editing in Final Cut
4) Save in the best settings at the highest bitrate you can (4K or UHD 5.1 Profile, H264 for compatibility in max quality, smalls gaps between keyframes or less intraframes, and might be CBR 200Mbps to retain more details but penalizing file size, or VBR with 100Mbps at minimun)

And voilá!

Reactions: Bigdz
But if you convert H.265 to ProRes, the problem is solved. Yes, I know, it's another step, but please try, you will not regret when you see the awesome results.

1) H265 4K 30FPS - 1/60 and all manual
2) Convert to ProRes
3) Color grading and editing in Final Cut
4) Save in the best settings at the highest bitrate you can (4K or UHD 5.1 Profile, H264 for compatibility in max quality, smalls gaps between keyframes or less intraframes, and might be CBR 200Mbps to retain more details but penalizing file size, or VBR with 100Mbps at minimun)

And voilá!

Thank you.
Which encoder though?

Most of my stuff I put back into 1920x1080 so I have lots of pixels squashed into a smaller frame too which should help the quality.

Thank you.
Which encoder though?

Most of my stuff I put back into 1920x1080 so I have lots of pixels squashed into a smaller frame too which should help the quality.
If your final render is in 1080p 30fps, I will suggest H264 1080p CBR 60Mbps or VBR 2 pass 50Mbps at minimun. With this settings you can retain a lot of information from footage although it's compressed.

Remember, when you upload to YouTube these quality decreases A LOT, but the original file will have superb quality.

No luck with recording today. Got out to location and it a started raining.

Without adobe media encoder, how would you convert h265 to prores?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Only 30FPS, looks like H.264 at 60FPS is interlaced! lol. Add that to the reduced range and we see some marketing mumbo jumbo....Mines going back. lets hope they get their act together with the P5.
what are you talking about reduced range? My P4P has much better range and a better overall image transmission signal than my P4

I like to think im a stickler for quality... no complaints from me with the 60fps

When movement is slow everything looks great and things in the background look sharp. When movement is faster as in the early shots of the child riding, the background loses sharpness and background movement isn't smooth. It's possible you opened up the aperture in just that sequence but that wouldn't account for the jerky movement.

Last edited:
Well then don't advertise 4k at 60fps if you cant walk the walk.......Combine this with a definite reduction in flight distance over the Mavic and you have marketing mumbo jumbo as Smiller states eloquently..........
Many of us are cynical over DJI marketing propaganda. That's not without reason, and that's why many of use hang out in this forum.....for the truth! However most of us know DJI still makes the best drone for the money, bar none.

As to #1, until someone demonstrates otherwise, I'm working on the assumption that the mechanical shutter is only used for photos, not for video (as is the case with every other camera out there). DJI never advertised that the mechanical shutter is used to eliminate rolling shutter effects -- they just advertised that they incorporated a mechanical shutter into the physical camera module, where the p4/p3 had none.
You are correct, the mechanical shutter is only for photos.

You are correct, the mechanical shutter is only for photos.
Yes, but DJI did specifically state "A mechanical shutter with a max speed of 1/2000s eliminates rolling shutter distortion…". Andrei is incorrect on that particular comment saying otherwise.

Yes, but DJI did specifically state "A mechanical shutter with a max speed of 1/2000s eliminates rolling shutter distortion…". Andrei is incorrect on that particular comment saying otherwise.
I think it's a 'lost in translation' thing - it DOES have a mechanical shutter, and the shutter Does have a max speed of 1/2000 but it should say 'Has a Mechanical shutte for photography, and for video has a shutter speed of 1/2000 to eliminate rolling shutter disortion'

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1