4k60p is.. not true 4k.

Does 1080p 120fps suffer the same fate? Any sample screenshots of various 1080p modes? Thanks!

Does 1080p 120fps suffer the same fate? Any sample screenshots of various 1080p modes? Thanks!

1080p at 120fps seems better than on the P4 at least. On the 4p, you had a sensor crop combined with with line skipping. P4p is better, though I don't think I still have the footage around to pull out some screen grabs from to see how 120fps compares to 60fps and 30fps.

Reactions: Zzz
Hi everyone, this convo has went way over my head but wanted to get an opinion if i have a defective P4 Pro (just got it a few days ago) or is it a video issue? I shot this video in the highest mode available from the Go App with no post (4K, 60FPS). Notice at the beginning of the video all the distortion then things get better. There is a lot of vertical scaffold so maybe that is messing things up? Just trying to figure out the next best level to drop my video settings down to to get the clearest picture in 4K as possible. I have clients that are requesting 4K. Someone said set it at 30FPS and put in H.265? Any advice appreciated.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

4k 60fps is a waste as the transfer rate is capped at 100mbs. That's an improvement if your shooting 4k 30fps but otherwise marketing mumbo jumbo. The H.365 codec is also flawed and needs to be tweaked as theres banding. I'm a little pissed at DJI for hyping this P4P and not delivering. From the exaggerated flight times, to the faulty 4K 60fps/ H.365, to the useless side sensors that are only available in beginner or tripod mode, to the range not being close to what's advertised. This Lightbridge is way more susceptible to interference than the Occusync on the mavic. Sure you can get a few miles in the dessert but anywhere close to an urban area your at a mile tops.

4k 60fps is a waste as the transfer rate is capped at 100mbs. That's an improvement if your shooting 4k 30fps but otherwise marketing mumbo jumbo. The H.365 codec is also flawed and needs to be tweaked as theres banding. I'm a little pissed at DJI for hyping this P4P and not delivering. From the exaggerated flight times, to the faulty 4K 60fps/ H.365, to the useless side sensors that are only available in beginner or tripod mode, to the range not being close to what's advertised. This Lightbridge is way more susceptible to interference than the Occusync on the mavic. Sure you can get a few miles in the dessert but anywhere close to an urban area your at a mile tops.
While the 60fps 4K maybe isn't a true measurement it seems to work well in the few tests I've done. I agree on the h265 I see the banding being discussed.

My flight times however are quite inline with advertised. My longest so far was 28 minutes and I still had battery left when it landed. And the side sensors aren't useless. I use them in tripod all the time, they work great. So what if they don't work in all modes. Kind of a nitpick IMO. That's like saying forward object avoidance is useless because it doesn't work in sport mode.

And range seems to be fantastic as advertised for me and several others. Farther than I was getting on my P4. I haven't tested it out to 4 miles but I don't have a need for that distance. Your gripe about urban area is nonsense. Wifi interference is wifi interference. If you want something that can go for miles in an urban area and without LOS transmission restrictions then you need to be ready to spend a lot of money.

Also ocusync only affects video not TX. Ocusync is still using lightbridge it's just being optimized for fpv which requires faster response time. So it dumps quality and pixels to achieve this but it's not some new video transmission system less prone to interference than lightbridge since it actually still is lightbridge just optimized in a different way by software. You perceive it as less susceptible to interference because it isn't as noticeable because it's less data (less quality image).

Reactions: hidaven
Actually, it's NOT the bitrate. Even when filming a static image (where the bitrate should be more then adequate) you still get a soft, aliased picture when using the 4k60p mode. Why? Because DJI isn't reading out the entire sensor, it's skipping lines. It probably is forced to do this by physical heat limitations of the sensor.

So I'm actually very eager to see what they manage to do with the 60p mode on the X5S camera. I'm thinking it may also be crippled by line-skipping rather than a full sensor readout since the sensors the X5S camera uses is probably the same one we've seen in recent m4/3 offerings like as the Panasonic gx8 which do not offer any 60p mode.

Reactions: ianwood
So I'm actually very eager to see what they manage to do with the 60p mode on the X5S camera. I'm thinking it may also be crippled by line-skipping rather than a full sensor readout since the sensors the X5S camera uses is probably the same one we've seen in recent m4/3 offerings like as the Panasonic gx8 which do not offer any 60p mode.

I hope you're wrong but I think you will be right. It'll probably be line skipping. I am holding off on my order until it is confirmed.

I like to think im a stickler for quality... no complaints from me with the 60fps

Reactions: sas099
I just performed my own test at 1080/30, 1080/60, 4K/30, and 4K/60 in a stationary environment and found the following when pixel-peeping at 4x enlargement:

1. 1080/60 showed very slightly lower resolution than 1080/30
2. 4K/60 showed a more noticeable resolution loss over 4K/30, but was still markedly better than 1080/60.

This seems to jibe with what others have reported in the thread, however I don't understand the comments some have made that 4K/60 is useless and 'you might as well use 1080/60', to my eye 4K/60 while somewhat compromised is night-and day better in terms of image resolution than 1080/60. Also without enlargement I don't think I'd see an obvious difference between 4K/30 and 4K/60 unless I was doing an A/B test or was specifically looking for it, although admittedly I wasn't viewing on a 65" screen. All in all I don't personalty feel what I'm seeing is all that bad considering the price point.

Last edited:
Isn't all NTSC interlaced and only Pal is truly progressive? NTSC 30FPS is actually 29.97 or something like that?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I like to think im a stickler for quality... no complaints from me with the 60fps

It's a very VERY good quality!

I can't understand a few comments that I read here, talking about "poor quality in 4k60".
Anybody knows a camera that records 4k 60fps under $2000 price tag???? No! (even less with full sensor readout) but here we have one for $1499 and it can fly too!!

Maybe we need to think and see that really the P4P is an astonishing machine, very advanced in technology with A LOT of GREAT features in a small package for $1499. It isn't cheaper, but if you see what it offers and the results, really it's a bargain.

Some people work with a P4P and they can deliver works (and make money) with professional results. And if you need Hollywood quality, maybe you have to buy a Matrice with a RED camera, but for $1499 you can only buy a set of props for the Matrice and a bag to transport...

Just my 2 cents...

Enviado desde mi Nexus 6P mediante Tapatalk

Last edited:
So after playing in low light tonight someone sent me to this thread. I had a pretty bad test shoot with 4k60p late afternoon, dusky. Mushy everything and the noise was not like grain - it's horrible. I did render out a short clip and this is WITH neat video noise reduction on it.

I seem to remember a while ago reading about this similar issues with GoPro Hero 4 cameras - the setting I seem to recall was to use 2.7k which would give a better image than the 4k setting. Also I think it pulls into an HD 1920 frame better than the 4k.

here's the clip from tonight...

So after playing in low light tonight someone sent me to this thread. I had a pretty bad test shoot with 4k60p late afternoon, dusky. Mushy everything and the noise was not like grain - it's horrible. I did render out a short clip and this is WITH neat video noise reduction on it.

I seem to remember a while ago reading about this similar issues with GoPro Hero 4 cameras - the setting I seem to recall was to use 2.7k which would give a better image than the 4k setting. Also I think it pulls into an HD 1920 frame better than the 4k.

here's the clip from tonight...

That looks like a focusing issue. look at the 2nd clip below, didnt set the focus right for that shot.
The autofocus doesnt really work that well in lowlight. Just stick to manual and you'll be good

That looks like a focusing issue. look at the 2nd clip below, didnt set the focus right for that shot.
The autofocus doesnt really work that well in lowlight. Just stick to manual and you'll be good

I looked at the clips - I just saw terrible artifacting in the shadows on the overhead tracking shot - but not the same as I had. I had like a 'fuzz' on the picture - like jumping noise bits. What's that got to do with focus? It would be there if the clip was in focus or not. Noise is noise - or am I missing something here?

I looked at the clips - I just saw terrible artifacting in the shadows on the overhead tracking shot - but not the same as I had. I had like a 'fuzz' on the picture - like jumping noise bits. What's that got to do with focus? It would be there if the clip was in focus or not. Noise is noise - or am I missing something here?

well there is going to be some artifacting since its on youtube. but for the most part i think the fuzziness is mostly caused by low shutterspeeds. ideally you would want your shutterspeed to be double the framerate you're shooting at. Especially when you're in motion.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31