400 feet, but what happens if...

Reaction score
I am visiting Eastbourne (UK) soon and plan some photographs of Beachy Head.
Beachy Head is a 600 foot high vertical cliff. I was thinking of a "reveal" shot skimming the grass at the top of the cliffs and lauching off the cliff edge.
So, the question is... I have my height restrictions to think about (set at 400 ft). What happens when the drone suddenly finds itself 600ft AGL? Will it drop to 400ft? If I descend will I be able to climb back up?

I guess it depends how the drone measures it's altitude.
Anyone know the answers before I risk watching her run out of battery and fall into the sea and unable to do anything about it?

Good to know - many thanks.
I assume then that once over the cliff edge, and I decend, altitude will go negative?

What happens when the drone suddenly finds itself 600ft AGL? Will it drop to 400ft? If I descend will I be able to climb back up?
Your Phantom won't find itself at 600ft AGL.
Its only sensors that can measure the drone's height above the ground don't work beyond 10 metres.
The ground could be 6000 ft below and the drone would act the same way ... just like any bird or plane that flies out past a cliff edge.

Skyhawk: I'm from the Eastbourne area. There are restrictions where you can and can't takeoff/land/fly along various parts of this Sussex coastline. Where you are planning to fly is a Site of Special Scientific Interest and the local authority has correctly made it a no-fly zone for drones. Rangers will take action. Local residents, walkers, dog walkers, etc are aware of the byelaws.

Here's a link: Eastbourne Filming Unit

I have my height restrictions to think about (set at 400 ft). What happens when the drone suddenly finds itself 600ft AGL? Will it drop to 400ft? If I descend will I be able to climb back up?
The altitude will not be restricted until the altitude displayed at the bottom of DJI reaches 400 feet.

The altitude displayed at the bottom of DJI GO is the altitude above the takeoff point. It only increases or decreases when you ascend or descend. After flying over a cliff, the altitude will not change unless you also ascend or descend.

See more details here:
Understanding the current altitude and VPS altitude values in DJI GO

I assume then that once over the cliff edge, and I decend, altitude will go negative?
Correct

This is certainly true for Mavic Pros; one of the sites I fly at is a sloping field and the home point is at the top of the slope. Traveling downslope while maintaining a constant altitude above ground results in a negative altitude being reported.

I fly off mountains all the time it is 400ft above your takeoff position.It is a little tense the first time you fly off the edge cheek pucker stuff then it's awesome.Also note for the heck of it, if there is 200ft obstacle then you can fly @ 600ft = 400 feet above it.But you must be within 25ft of obstacle witch is odd.

Reactions: Sykhawk
Your Phantom won't find itself at 600ft AGL.
Its only sensors that can measure the drone's height above the ground don't work beyond 10 metres.
The ground could be 6000 ft below and the drone would act the same way ... just like any bird or plane that flies out past a cliff edge.
I've wondered about that to. Good stuff to know. Thanks.

Skyhawk: I'm from the Eastbourne area. There are restrictions where you can and can't takeoff/land/fly along various parts of this Sussex coastline. Where you are planning to fly is a Site of Special Scientific Interest and the local authority has correctly made it a no-fly zone for drones. Rangers will take action. Local residents, walkers, dog walkers, etc are aware of the byelaws.

Here's a link: Eastbourne Filming Unit
Ahh - many thanks for the warning. I checked Magic Map and no mention of restrictions so that's a good heads up!

I fly off mountains all the time it is 400ft above your takeoff position.It is a little tense the first time you fly off the edge cheek pucker stuff then it's awesome.Also note for the heck of it, if there is 200ft obstacle then you can fly @ 600ft = 400 feet above it.But you must be within 25ft of obstacle witch is odd.

I know that is the case in the US, but have read through the CAA rules in UK and din't see it mentioned. If that's the case, then that's really useful!

You should be aware of the air flow up the cliff. It could be quite different once you cross the cliffs edge.

Reactions: Sykhawk

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20